Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 01:52 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's getting better (anecdotally speaking), at least with respect to MA.

I now know of several "regular people" who had minor (or no) symptoms, were easily able to get a test, and got results back in approx. 24 hours (all negative) so far.

MA has performed ~40K tests so far with a 12.9% positivity rate

This is good to know! My most recent experience was my coworker early last week whose wife tested positive, but despite himself and his kids all showing symptoms (including the tell-tale lack of taste and smell), no one else could get tested. All seem to be doing significantly better now, thank goodness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 02:06 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
[quote=charolastra00;57711848
Where are you seeing that cases are flattening?[/QUOTE]

Massachusetts went down yesterday in cases and deaths and if you look at world o meter the number of cases in the USA has been largely the same for the last three days. Certainly not doubling daily. And as we see from this board... tests are getting out there.

It has been 14 days from the shelter in place mandates... people who were out in the congested times should have had symptoms showing up by now.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:09 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
It's getting better (anecdotally speaking), at least with respect to MA.

I now know of several "regular people" who had minor (or no) symptoms, were easily able to get a test, and got results back in approx. 24 hours (all negative) so far.

MA has performed ~40K tests so far with a 12.9% positivity rate

Massachusetts has 6.9 million people. You have no clue who is walking around with the asymptomatic version of the disease. At this point, you need to assume any of those 6.9 million could have it. A few super spreaders triggered enormous outbreaks. It's not like 50 people showed up at Biogen's thing with it. Or 50 people showed up at Mardi Gras with it. Unless you test everybody, you'll never find them. Nationally, 330 million tests and test everyone who crosses the border. The window to selectively test people and quarantine anyone in contact with those who test positive closed in early February.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:15 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
MA has approx 700 new cases. That’s about what was reported yesterday and down from 1000 two days prior.

Again....need more data, but not showing exponential growth...yet.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:38 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
MA has approx 700 new cases. That’s about what was reported yesterday and down from 1000 two days prior.

Again....need more data, but not showing exponential growth...yet.

My rather elitist personal opinion is that Massachusetts has the most educated population so they were far more likely to apply some critical thought to the issue and practice social distancing and appropriate hygiene long before the President of the United States declared a national emergency. As the least religious part of the country, people also weren't doing Jim Jones Kool Aid cult things like Liberty University or the mega churches.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My rather elitist personal opinion is that Massachusetts has the most educated population so they were far more likely to apply some critical thought to the issue and practice social distancing and appropriate hygiene long before the President of the United States declared a national emergency.
At the moment the USA is looking pretty good as well... about 16000 cases with just a few states left to report. We are probably going to be less than or equal to yesterday.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:07 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
There's a website I won't mention that got into the end of the world predictions and was arguing for prepping etc. He tried to imply that urban areas would break down and the rural areas would be the only places to go to. Nothing is further from the truth. Some people bashed this but in retrospect this was a good 21 million for food security.
https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/0...nal-model.html

Long ago I advocated where I lived on the south shore for a new community center with a public kitchen. It could be used as an incubator for small food businesses and for emergencies. Seven or so years later nothing has been done and with the current situation probably nothing in the future either.

The problem I see would be if this further mutates to get to healthier people. Right now it's the spring. Social distancing would be much harder if we had snow outside. I think we're going to have to keep testing even if we think we are done. If we have a second wave in another six months as children go back to school and academia reopens we'd be screwed. Building herd immunity and a vaccine are the only real long term solutions. Unless we want some on and off again state of normalcy for the next few years.

As for Liberty University I think they had problems prior to this. I think it could be the largest private university to go out of business in the next six years.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:45 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Yeah the weather will be getting nicer over the next few weeks. Will be a real test to see what people do.

I saw a group of 3 teenage boys walking down the street today walking a dog. Unless they all live together they’re breaking the rules. Once restaurants and bars open I don’t foresee young people not going to them. But I don’t know that it will be a good thing if suddenly everyone in their 20s and 30s are out on the town.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yeah the weather will be getting nicer over the next few weeks. Will be a real test to see what people do. .

I am actually a little worried that once they say things can open up there will be a lag -- from people just being comfortable in their homes and also being a bit weary of going out still. That could be the real killer for the economy.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My rather elitist personal opinion is that Massachusetts has the most educated population so they were far more likely to apply some critical thought to the issue and practice social distancing and appropriate hygiene long before the President of the United States declared a national emergency. As the least religious part of the country, people also weren't doing Jim Jones Kool Aid cult things like Liberty University or the mega churches.
I guess you were right -- I found this link on another thread -- it gives places social distancing scores based on cell phone activity.

Massachusetts gets an A.

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/soci...ing-scoreboard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts