Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 10:39 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We need to flatten the curve. Yes, many more people may get it even if we shut everything down today. But if we help spread it out, our medical centers won't be overwhelmed.
But if 25% really already have it.. can we flatten it?

Not sure. Even with the best procedures. Look at Italy? Doesn't look like shut down is working.

But a shut down is going to cause a ton of damage to the economy.

Maybe we need to switch to looking for things to help people not get as sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 10:49 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

Not sure. Even with the best procedures. Look at Italy? Doesn't look like shut down is working.

The shut down IS working in Italy. Unfortunately, we're always going to be 2 weeks behind the shut down because of how the virus works. People were already sick when they went into quarantine. Quarantine won't help them, but it might help the illness from spreading beyond them.

Look at South Korea. They are testing as many people as possible (more in a day than we have had total tests available) and have a low death rate. That's partially, of course, due to how high the testing rate is since we know plenty of people have it and don't know it.

Korea had it under control, but then patient 31 refused to get tested (even though testing was available) and spread it to potentially hundreds more. Part of that was due to the cult they belonged to's religious practices, but even on a smaller scale, you can see how that would ramp up. If that one person had gotten tested and been quarantined, South Korea's case load would be far smaller. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...065953841.html

Which is to say we all need to do what we can to slow the spread so that our hospitals can manage the influx of patients. Even if 25% of the population already has it, most of those people will recover and then be immune. Great news! Keeping it limited to just that theoretically 25% limits the demands on the healthcare system.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:57 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Which is to say we all need to do what we can to slow the spread so that our hospitals can manage the influx of patients. Even if 25% of the population already has it, most of those people will recover and then be immune. Great news! Keeping it limited to just that theoretically 25% limits the demands on the healthcare system.
I've seen reports that people aren't necessarily getting immunity. Like they got sick, tested positive, got better and tested negative, then got sick again and tested positive again.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm amazed at how many times and places this needs to be said but I much appreciate your saying it.

I feel like I've been screaming into the void while watching the oncoming tsunami bare down on us for three weeks. I will keep doing so until I can't.

There are few things more enraging than people who just shrug their shoulders, say most people will live and there's nothing we can do, and don't alter their behaviors to protect society. We'll remember who you are.

My one win for the day is that after weeks of hammering into my 89 year old grandmother that when this starts to spread, she needs to stay at home and stop going to the store, she finally listened. She called today to tell me she was all ready to go with her pocketbook, thought of me, and realized she didn't actually need anything. I can get her anything she may need (though she has probably 6 months of canned goods in her pantry!) in the coming weeks or months as long as I stay healthy.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I've seen reports that people aren't necessarily getting immunity. Like they got sick, tested positive, got better and tested negative, then got sick again and tested positive again.

Source?

I strongly request before anyone shares rumors they make sure to cite their sources. There's a lot of misinformation spreading.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:03 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Source?
I strongly request before anyone shares rumors they make sure to cite their sources. There's a lot of misinformation spreading.
I saw that too (one person in China supposedly got reinfected and died). But he had severe lung damage and most doctors think he just wasn't fully recovered.

But I don't think that makes any sense based on the information we have so far from China. Where the new cases are slowing down and the recovered cases are a lot of people.

If people could get reinfected you would think there would be much greater new cases showing up.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:07 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Will E.Warren still have a job to go back to? Yes I know she is a Ma. politician who was acting Senator for about two weeks.
However does Harvard have an online progtam for her now with no students at school?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:37 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

Yes, it can be flattened but everybody needs to do their part - including you, Arya Stark.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:38 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Thanks for sharing your updates Mike and best wishes for recovery for your loved ones. First-hand information is gold in this sea of half truths.
Thank you.

2hrs at the ER. Test done. Now we wait. Wonder how this one will get billed.

We weren’t the only ones there. About 12 others there in masks being tested.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:09 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Thermo Fisher to produce millions of coronavirus diagnostic tests.

Looks like a local company received emergency approval for testing. Looks like they can ramp up to 5 million tests in a month. Not my field so I'm not sure of the potential issues, but it seems like a good step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts