Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 11:46 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

I was driving on 93 south yesterday and was surprised by the Number Of staties sitting there I guess waiting to pull the small number of people on the roads over. Looked like 4th of July weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 11:50 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I was driving on 93 south yesterday and was surprised by the Number Of staties sitting there I guess waiting to pull the small number of people on the roads over. Looked like 4th of July weekend.
I thought the same thing. Traffic has been amazingly light lately. I guess as much as we see people out and about, there are a good number of people that are heeding the advice.

My typical work commute has gone from 50-55min down to 19min. I can't really improve much on that unless I push my speed up.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:59 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I thought the same thing. Traffic has been amazingly light lately. I guess as much as we see people out and about, there are a good number of people that are heeding the advice.

My typical work commute has gone from 50-55min down to 19min. I can't really improve much on that unless I push my speed up.
Agreed. We live close enough to the Wegmans in Westwood that we can comfortably walk around it without having to go in (kids need exercise) or get within 100 feet of other people. I expected the Target/Wegmans complex to be absolutely mobbed on a Sunday afternoon, but it was emptier than a normal Sunday. I think those that are able to have been heeding the recommendation to stay at home.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:02 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
some people might think that they're more protected in more of a rural area but to be frank the herd immunity is much less and you've got less access to healthcare. in the book's years you've got at least 23 confirmed cases with a population of about 130000 meaning that you pretty much have one case for every 5600 people.

I was reading one study that we'd get this in waves. If we reach a peak it might not be the real peak.

Here's a few dates/things to keep in mind.

Look at the size of events being cancelled of delayed. The Olympics looks to be delayed a year. Easily one of the largest international events. I've heard of more smaller venues like clubs and bars delaying March and April events to July.

I don't think public schools are going back in April. Pay attention to what is being said in the first week of April.

Sometime in July public schools and universities will have to make a call about September. If online schools are OK we won't see a return to "normal". of course the other part within this would be if a public school is simply being reduced to an online school what makes one school different from another? since it then reduces it to being nearly zero marginal costs that means classroom sizes can be much larger which pretty much the base is the connection between buying a house and having the property value linked to the school district.

What I can tell you is that there are some legal ramifications about requirements and teachers and professors the have mandated video cameras for classes. Public School teachers are mandated reporters and technically speaking if they see something that's occurring within the context of a student's house they would legally have to report it. Drug use, abuse, etc the other issue can be if there is a recording of a class because there are state laws on wiretapping whether or not it's single party or both parties consenting to recording.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:15 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
As much as it would drive people nuts...a blizzard locking everyone inside for 2 days would be nice right about now. That could make a big dent in slowing things down.
It is snowing in southern NH right now but mother nature probably won't provide the amount of snow needed for your wish though.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:25 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

I don't think public schools are going back in April. Pay attention to what is being said in the first week of April.
They aren't. There's already discussions with my wife's school on closure beyond the first week of April. Everyone is scrambling to figure out how to provide some sort of structured learning to remote students

Old 03-23-2020, 02:32 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I feel like the twilight zone. I've been on my own lockdown for about 2 weeks, as has my office and most people I know who don't work essential jobs. My boyfriend did come visit this weekend because he's super isolated himself and we decided we didn't pose a risk to each other, plus I'm not sure when I'll be able to see him again after this. Months. Plus he brought me some supplies that he could readily get in his rural upstate NY home that I couldn't get - TP, hand sanitizer, onions, and potatoes.

We went out driving on Saturday since I really hadn't left the house, and I was shocked at how many people were out and about. He ran into Target to pick up a few essentials for me and told me that people were clothes and toy shopping with their whole family. Meanwhile, I waited in the car while he donned glasses, gloves, and a mask and disinfected everything (including his shoes) before getting back in the car.

I feel lucky and protected knowing everyone in my immediate circle has taken this seriously for quite awhile, but yikes.
Which basically does nothing. If he's so worried, why didnt he order online???

Old 03-23-2020, 02:53 PM

560 posts, read 751,772 times
Quote:
They aren't. There's already discussions with my wife's school on closure beyond the first week of April. Everyone is scrambling to figure out how to provide some sort of structured learning to remote students

odds are super high they dont go back in April period. or May.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:18 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
... I think in the blizzard of 78 cops drove nurses and drs to work. The T should not be running.
In the blizzard of 1978, I walked three miles to visit a friend at the Faulkner Hospital. The National Guard was there and they gave me a ride home. I was very impressed.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:22 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Which basically does nothing. If he's so worried, why didnt he order online???

Because I can't get a grocery delivery and even in the best of times, I frequently don't get packages to my apartment. Especially now, the apartment's package locker is full and things are often not delivered there regardless.

I was asked to wear a surgical mask and gloves during chemo when my immune system was low years ago. The modicum of protection it gives me - and my boyfriend - provides me with some level of security even knowing it doesn't do much. Right now, my level of anxiety is very similar to when I was first diagnosed with stage IV cancer and suddenly everything was PANIC and EMERGENCY. He has a handful of masks that he uses to go out, but also for his (essential) business. I have two - one that I disinfect and reuse and one that I have waiting if G-d forbid I am sick and need to protect the medical staff that receives me.

My boyfriend also has two great fears in life: the ocean and pandemics. One of our first conversations was his real, deep fear of a pandemic stemming from his time studying epidemiology and pathology at Cornell. It was so bad, he didn't actually end up being an epidemiologist and instead went into a totally different field. I used to think he was nutso crazy bringing his own chlorox wipes into stores and don't a deep clean of carts, and wearing work gloves to pump gas. I let him do what he needs to do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts