Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2021, 07:20 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Moderna has now formally begun the application process with the FDA for full approval for their Covid-19 vaccine. As a practical matter, there were already large clinical trials last year and many millions of people who've received the vaccine since - so there is no shortage of experience or data and information for people to look at. However, we continue to see certain people characterize the vaccine as "experimental" and people getting it as "guinea pigs", and a full approval will put the nail in the coffin of such specious arguments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/s...-approval.html

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Just wait until they have full FDA approval for all ages and schools start requiring it for attendance. My fear is that the biggest drama has yet to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 08:24 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Just wait until they have full FDA approval for all ages and schools start requiring it for attendance. My fear is that the biggest drama has yet to come.
I anticipated the same, but having talked to some of friends/neighbors who have school aged children they noted that the existing vax requirements have already driven both anti-vax and vax skeptics towards homeschooling, regardless of their political persuasion.

The majority of the irrational anti-vax minds in my sphere happen to be far-left on the political spectrum and these people were already trending homeschool pre-Covid for a host of reasons including romanticized beliefs that they can replicate Finnish/HEI style teaching in an MA vacuum. Perhaps they can, but they simultaneously complain that their homeschool networks are dominated by orthodox religious types ... the grass apparently isn’t that green.

think the centrists largely just want to see vax rates up and to get on with it. Most in MA pay a COL premium for job market and public school access and I don’t see this changing.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 06-04-2021 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-04-2021, 08:34 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I anticipated the same, but having talked to some of friends/neighbors who have school aged children they noted that the existing vax requirements have already driven both anti-vax and vax skeptics towards homeschooling, regardless of their political persuasion.

The majority of irrational anti-vax minds in my sphere happen to be far-left on the political spectrum and these people were already trending homeschool pre-Covid for a host of reasons including romanticized beliefs that they can replicate Finnish/HEI style teaching in an MA vacuum. Perhaps they can, but they simultaneously complain that their homeschool networks are dominated by orthodox religious types ... the grass apparently isn’t that green.

think the centrists largely just want to see vax rates up and to get on with it.
Yeah, it's frustrating - the pandemic is a very serious problem that's done enormous damage, but at this point, we have good tools to deal with it, and they're readily available. Unfortunately, certain people simply refuse to be part of the solution and insist on being part of the problem. Primarily though, I don't blame the laity, I blame politicians and media influencers who just continue to spread bad information - they are what is making so many lay people fear the vaccines, and not the virus.

I don't despair though, as we continue to make progress.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I blame politicians and media influencers who just continue to spread bad information - they are what is making so many lay people fear the vaccines, and not the virus.

The politicians could tell you the sky is blue, and there is a group of people who will find some way to oppose that simply because the gov't is the one telling them that fact. They will tell you to do your own research. Yet, if you come to the same conclusion as the gov't, you are still a sheep.

I have many acquaintances who are of the educated variety who are still against this vaccine. Insert a conspiracy theory and you'll hear it. They have no intention of vaccinating their children with this vaccine, yet i don't see them as the homeschooling type. I just sit back with my popcorn and wait for fall.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:42 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
The politicians could tell you the sky is blue, and there is a group of people who will find some way to oppose that simply because the gov't is the one telling them that fact. They will tell you to do your own research. Yet, if you come to the same conclusion as the gov't, you are still a sheep.

I have many acquaintances who are of the educated variety who are still against this vaccine. Insert a conspiracy theory and you'll hear it. They have no intention of vaccinating their children with this vaccine, yet i don't see them as the homeschooling type. I just sit back with my popcorn and wait for fall.
The vast majority of people I know who are not vaccinated (myself included) are not anti-vaxxers. We are looking at the data available to us and making the best decision for us. Having had covid already, I would rather have covid than a mosquito bite. It was that much of a non-issue for me.

As for kids, given the incredibly low risk posed to them, I also understand why so many parents are not interested in a vaccine for their children regardless of whether it is fully FDA approved or not.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:

I saw a nurse being interviewed who claimed the vaccines were still experimental and she was "doing her own research". I mean, they're definitely NOT experimental and by asserting that, she's ignoring all the data that's out there and she's ignoring the analysis of countless scientific experts. If you reject all the data and the analysis of anyone who knows anything, and then search for a different answer, you're necessarily looking for false beliefs. That some people cannot recognize this, boggles the mind.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
so what can "doing her own research" even mean,

Maybe she's setting up her own lab in the basement and conducting her own testing to present to the WHO/CDC/FDA?

I mean short of having direct access to actual data, what research can the average person really do? Hit the google while on the toilet? At that point, your just looking for whatever links support whatever point of view you have likely already taken.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Maybe she's setting up her own lab in the basement and conducting her own testing to present to the WHO/CDC/FDA?

I mean short of having direct access to actual data, what research can the average person really do? Hit the google while on the toilet? At that point, your just looking for whatever links support whatever point of view you have likely already taken.
It doesn't make any sense, and it's even crazier when you start by ignoring the data and ruling out the analysis of the people who've actually done the work and those who actually have the deep knowledge of the area. You're crossing all the valid info off the list of possibilities and saying "No, I want a different answer", and that can't possibly lead you to the truth, it can only lead you astray.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:04 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
The vast majority of people I know who are not vaccinated (myself included) are not anti-vaxxers. We are looking at the data available to us and making the best decision for us. Having had covid already, I would rather have covid than a mosquito bite. It was that much of a non-issue for me.

As for kids, given the incredibly low risk posed to them, I also understand why so many parents are not interested in a vaccine for their children regardless of whether it is fully FDA approved or not.
Ah, if it were only that simple. You do realize the critical difference is you can't "transmit" a mosquito bite to someone else, right? So your seemingly personal refusal to get vaxxed (multiplied by millions of others) in reality has a broader societal impact.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:06 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:

It's obvious...they're searching for the next "demon seed" witch doctor on video to tell them they don't need the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts