Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 07:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times

Advertisements

MA residents from Salisbury are the acceptable sort to you, but those from Methuen and Lawrence are undesirable then? Please, tell me more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:08 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
M*******s from Salisbury are the acceptable sort to you, but those from Methuen and Lawrence are undesirable then? Please, tell me more.
It's not about acceptable vs. not acceptable, but plain observations. You may have seen differently, but I'm obviously not alone.

Edit: In recent years a lot of trash has move across the border to places like Salem and Nashua, so the disparity in behavior might not be as stark as it used to be in those neighborhoods. It's still fairly noticeable though.

Last edited by massnative71; 04-30-2020 at 07:19 PM..

Old 04-30-2020, 07:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Ok lets get this back to MA focused discussion. I’m all out of tin foil.

Question for those out and about abs using masks. Are you putting them on when you go through drive-thrus, or pumping gas? (Self or full serve)

Seems to me the latest vehicle accessory is a mask on the rear-view mirror, but I don’t see many use them for the above actions.
This thread has sort of petered out and transformed into a mix of weird conspiracy theories and boiler room. I can contribute to this, though.

I don’t go out much, but only wear the mask when I’m around (within 20 feet or so) of people. Haven’t gotten gas in six weeks, might wear one there if other stalls are occupied.

I’d guess we’d be better off if people just stopped using gloves. Gloves protect the hands, but the hands aren’t a suspected point of entry. The virus (or really any contaminant) will transfer just as well from gloves to mouth as they will from bare hand to mouth. Unfortunately too many people think gloves magically protect every part of you from infection and treat them like magic hands that can’t get dirty. Better to just constantly remember that your hands are dirty until washed. Less trash that way, too. (Gloves are still useful for medical professionals that can reglove safely as needed)

Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I’d guess we’d be better off if people just stopped using gloves. Gloves protect the hands, but the hands aren’t a suspected point of entry. .... (Gloves are still useful for medical professionals that can reglove safely as needed)
I think the mental map for gloves is associated with stuff like staph infection or maybe working with incontinent people or wound care or or. Not respiratory. And very few people take the gloves off correctly anyway. It is a waste overall.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:56 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Ok I can understand that events such as the Boston Marathon and RedSox season being dealyed and or cancelled because these are things that would have taken place or started in the midst of the Corana pandemic but I recently heard that the Barnstable fair has been cancelled and that takes place the 3rd week in July? Also being cancelled is the Cape League baseball season.

I just heard this morning that the Wellfleet Oyster fest is also being cancelled. The oyster fest takes place in mid October! How about the Provincetown and Plymouth 400 year festival? I'm sure that is the next to be cancelled.

Just how long do the powers that be, namely our elected think this virus thing is going to last?

Should we just roll up the Cape's welcome mat now and write off the Summer of 2020? What will happen next year when the Corona comes back as does the Flu every season?

If the Summer is cancelled there are going to be a lot of business's on the Cape that will be forced to close permanently.

How can they cancel something now that is 5-6 months away?

Are they being over cautious?

The thing is, they probably have to make investments now if these events are going to happen. Organizers have probably looked at the data and decided that the odds don't look good so, they're cutting bait before they sink too much money into something that has a big risk of not actually happening. At least, I assume that's why these things are being canceled this far out.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I think a reason the events are being cancelled is because they draw hundreds of people in an area together and people have been taught to fear that now.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think a reason the events are being cancelled is because they draw hundreds of people in an area together and people have been taught to fear that now.
No one has been "taught," they've LEARNED that it's not okay now. And most large venues draw thousands and tens of thousands of people.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:15 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Well whatever the case that’s why these events are being cancelled. Not sure why anyone is surprised by this.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Well whatever the case that’s why these events are being cancelled. Not sure why anyone is surprised by this.
No one seems surprised. Saying people have been "taught to fear" seems to say that people are just stupid sheeple, as many people like to think, as opposed to knowing that there is genuine good reason to cancel the events.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:58 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Dogs parks are now closed and cats are advised to stay inside in my city. My elderly cat does go outside to our backyard. A friend of mine suggested I make a mask for my cat so I don't get fined. I really cannot believe I am living this life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts