Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 03:54 PM

23,562 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well I’d have to ask where your mother went and why she was out and about. Anyone who goes out is at risk.

Maybe she was buying groceries or other essentials? Going to the doctor? The post office? Doesn't really matter. You engage in risky behavior yourself, you are putting her at an unneeded risk. This virus has been especially devastating to the more vulnerable people in society, and telling them to just "stay home and hide if they are scared" is not doing their physical and mental health any favors. Nor does it help our economy (some of these people are pretty good consumers during normal times).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
NY state just released numbers claiming 70% of cases were tied to household and small gathering spread. 2% were restaurants.

Interesting. What kind of restrictions were restaurants operating under in NY? Percent of capacity? Bars open?

Old 12-23-2020, 04:01 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Maybe she was buying groceries or other essentials? Going to the doctor? The post office? Doesn't really matter. You engage in risky behavior yourself, you are putting her at an unneeded risk. This virus has been especially devastating to the more vulnerable people in society, and telling them to just "stay home and hide if they are scared" is not doing their physical and mental health any favors. Nor does it help our economy (some of these people are pretty good consumers during normal times).
Who said anything about "risky behavior"? I said I go out into public knowing the risks. Your mother is apparently doing the same. If I get COVID at the grocery store, the post office, the doctor, etc., I'm not blaming the other patrons of those places doing the same. Not even your mother

Old 12-23-2020, 04:01 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I don’t think anyone wants to shut down businesses but they’re still doing it when there really isn’t a whole lot of evidence that COVID os spreading there. But like I said before airlines are flying and so are people with covid.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:07 PM

I can only guess the spread is happening amongst family members and household gatherings but I really don’t know. It would be nice to have more info on who these thousands of people are who are getting it, where they’re getting it etc.

We know some people and the mom got it. She doesn’t work, has 4 kids and isn’t someone going out to restaurants or bars. She does likely go to the store pretty frequently having 4 kids. The kids all tested negative. They are in school in person everyday and play sports so it does seem odd that she got it and they didn’t

Old 12-23-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Who said anything about "risky behavior"? I said I go out into public knowing the risks. Your mother is apparently doing the same. If I get COVID at the grocery store, the post office, the doctor, etc., I'm not blaming the other patrons of those places doing the same. Not even your mother

OK well you seemed to be advocating for people "not altering their lifestyle", which to me says living like it's 2019. That IS reckless and putting others (and our economy) in unneeded danger, no way around it.

Quote:
I don’t think anyone wants to shut down businesses but they’re still doing it when there really isn’t a whole lot of evidence that COVID os spreading there. But like I said before airlines are flying and so are people with covid.

I guess the idea is that if everything is "business as usual", people won't take it seriously and think it's therefore OK to have gatherings in their homes as well. One thing we have learned from this, is that people aren't all that bright and that common sense is far from "common".

Old 12-23-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I can only guess the spread is happening amongst family members and household gatherings but I really don’t know. It would be nice to have more info on who these thousands of people are who are getting it, where they’re getting it etc.

We know some people and the mom got it. She doesn’t work, has 4 kids and isn’t someone going out to restaurants or bars. She does likely go to the store pretty frequently having 4 kids. The kids all tested negative. They are in school in person everyday and play sports so it does seem odd that she got it and they didn’t

Well there are false negatives. Maybe the kids caught it earlier on, to where when the mother finally got tested it was out of their system but not the mother's. Who knows.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:17 PM

I think people realize things aren’t business as usual. I don’t know of anyone having any parties. I have seen some people on Facebook posting pics of themselves in groups in restaurants. The majority of these people are single people in their 20s and 30s. I can’t say it seems like a good idea but they are probably lonely.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:20 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:

Yes, like gyms. Not only is there little to no evidence it's spreading there, but it's placing unnecessary restrictions on people trying to exercise and keep their immune systems healthy and strong. Immune defenses are one of the primary means of defense from COVID and any other virus.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:26 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Neither am I.

Does anybody even know where these positive results are coming from? From what I understand, it is not the restaurants, so why punish them?
This is missing the point. It's about modifying behavior at this point. Any indoor setting with masks off, has to be considered a transmission risk. People see restaurants open, they assume they're safe, and therefore pursue other lifestyle choices in line with this. It's kind of why Baker also required universal masking...indoors and outdoors...it's all about getting people into a habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts