Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 11:05 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The outdoor thing is stupid, at least where I live. We know better now, and I see those continuing to do it (save for some contact sports or crowded shoulder to shoulder type events, transit hubs, etc...) as mostly virtue signalling at this point (I dare say). Indoors we've done it for a year now, really is another couple of months gonna kill us? The light is at the end of the tunnel, why such a desire to fudge it up?
I think that's a big part of it. The Globe even did a write up on it that essentially said the same thing in different words.

Around here, it still makes a good deal of sense on the sidewalks as there's not enough room to pass by someone with enough space (I'd wager that ~85% of people on the streets in/around the central Boston neighborhoods are wearing masks). But I'm surprised to see it in some of the more open areas too - especially some of the larger park. We're right near Piers Park and we walk and hang out there almost every day. About 3/4 people in the park are still wearing masks even though there's plenty of room and nobody's on top of each other. I think many are afraid to look like they're anti-maskers, but I do think some others are just timid about being in the minority. Either way, it's pretty surprising. I expected masks to essentially disappear once the mandates were lifted. I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 11:08 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Where is your data showing there is nobody over 12 not waiting on even their 1st dose? For one, they JUST approved the 12-16 bracket. But there are still plenty over 18, still awaiting (for various reasons) last I checked.
There's like a bajillion appointments available. And it's all over the state so it's not like you could say there's people out there who were waiting to not have to travel any kind of distance to get the shot.

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I have a suspicion that this is coming from Big Biz, who is freaking out over inflation and wants things back to normal ASAP, and getting rid of the mask mandate is part of that. I also think they want the unemployment extension discontinued right now rather than September although that's unlikely to happen.

Why would Big Biz want to end it? What is it costing them? From what I understand, it's more often the opposite case. Many businesses state they will continue to mandate despite state guidelines relaxing. They recognize that it's in their business interest to do so, for a wide variety of reasons.

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Just saying I'm not going to criticize somebody for being overly considerate, it's likely just habit for her at this point. I'm fully vaccinated at this point but will still wear it in stores even if not required, simply because others don't "know" that I am vaccinated and low risk. It would be one thing if she demanded you put one on, but it's within her right to wear one or not. Her crazy or not, I wouldn't lose sleep over that.

Could Provincetown have a local ordinance mandating it? It's also possible the guy needs to get a life.
I guess I didnt see it as her being considerate especially because we werent wearing masks...I saw it more as she was like, OMG people coming with no masks on I must put mine ! and hey that's her prerogative but at this point it seems dumb.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:10 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
There's like a bajillion appointments available. And it's all over the state so it's not like you could say there's people out there who were waiting to not have to travel any kind of distance to get the shot.

Doesn't answer my question.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Doesn't answer my question.
If you are going to get the vaccine, you would have signed up by now. There's really no excuse.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:23 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
If you are going to get the vaccine, you would have signed up by now. There's really no excuse.
Not true. There are a lot of people who have had some level of hesitancy and/or reluctance and are also at lower risk levels so they've waited and many of them continue to wait (especially true of the 18-30-something range). I know of several. These aren't "I'm not letting Bill Gates inject me with nanobots!" types. There aren't simple yes/no buckets that every person falls into. It's more like a spectrum with line jumpers on one end and the nanobot 5g nuts on the other end. The rest of humanity falls at various points in between. We've past the surge of eager types and are moving toward the middle of the spectrum. There are still a lot of people who will get the vaccine but aren't going to rush to do it. Still more fall further down the spectrum and may actually need some convincing. There will be large numbers of vaccinations for months to come, just not as high as the peak in March/April when supply was finally starting to meet demand.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:23 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
That's a ridiculous statement. It hasn't even been available to all for a month. Not everyone is a die hard Fauci/CDC worshipper who felt the need to sign up as soon as they could. Doesn't mean they wont get it.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:34 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I've had my first shot, but i'd be lying if i said I wouldn't have minded waiting a little while longer.

But it's (partially) done. My 5G reception has never been better.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Why would Big Biz want to end it? What is it costing them?
There's an labor shortage from all those people staying on unemployment and not looking for work. The masks have to go because people use it as an excuse that's it still unsafe to be inside even vaccinated. That the CDC moved so quickly seems to have caught everyone off guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts