Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2020, 08:00 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Look at the number of tests, they were just slacking off over the labor day weekend. Gotta catch up.
They did nearly 30k tests between the 7th and 8th according to the difference between the 2 day's dashboards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 08:13 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Meh I kind of feel like the MA real estate talk is ok here seeing how it’s greatly affected by coronavirus at the moment. I think we all predicted this would happen.

I saw trick or treating had been cancelled in LA county and England has banned social gatherings of 6 or more for the foreseeable future

What do you all think thanksgiving and Christmas will be like this year ? Will your relatives still have you over or would you have them over?

Old 09-09-2020, 08:23 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Some not so good news .... the AZ/Oxford Phase 3 trial is on clinical hold to investigate a suspected serious adverse reaction in a participant in the UK.

This is not unexpected in clinical trials and I am glad to see that the typical checks and balances are still in place despite the political pressure - per AZ, “standard review process triggered a pause to vaccination to allow review of safety data.”

Let's hope that it is found to be unrelated following review of the data.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/...nt-in-the-u-k/

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02594-w

Old 09-09-2020, 09:18 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Meh I kind of feel like the MA real estate talk is ok here seeing how it’s greatly affected by coronavirus at the moment. I think we all predicted this would happen.

I saw trick or treating had been cancelled in LA county and England has banned social gatherings of 6 or more for the foreseeable future

What do you all think thanksgiving and Christmas will be like this year ? Will your relatives still have you over or would you have them over?

I don't expect to have anything resembling a normal holiday until next Passover, if then. My synagogue has had remote Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur planned for months. Last March, we promised the Class of 2020 would have their in-person graduation sometime in May or early June of 2021. I fail to see how that will be possible at this point.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are out.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:29 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Still taking the bet.
Agreed - we are already in the same boat with our rentals

Back Bay/S End/Beacon Hill is some of the most desirable real estate in the country and I don't see that changing.

We bought in Back Bay in the midst of the last recession when the financial markets were in free fall and we were still outbid by multiple over-ask, no contingency offers. Our families thought we were certifiably crazy. There were a few flat years but no dramatic drop and it was one of the first markets to rebound. I don't see why this will be any different - assuming of course there will be a vaccine/end, which I see no reason to doubt.

Even in the current craziness, our friends sold their condo in Back Bay for substantially over their initial ask of >$2M - multiple offers, many all cash. We had an unsolicited all cash offer for ours in June at more than what I would think market would support. There is a lot of money in Boston, a lot of international interest, and a lot of people who have seen their wealth increase substantially even during COVID, compounded with historically low interest rates, and very limited inventory.

Is it all a house of cards that will tumble? Who knows, but I know that I would much prefer to have my $ in a condo in one of these blue chip neighborhoods than an 'up and coming' or 'the next X' neighborhood to ride out any financial storm.

Last edited by sawyer2; 09-09-2020 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-09-2020, 09:35 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I don't expect to have anything resembling a normal holiday until next Passover, if then. My synagogue has had remote Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur planned for months. Last March, we promised the Class of 2020 would have their in-person graduation sometime in May or early June of 2021. I fail to see how that will be possible at this point.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are out.
Right we didn’t do Easter with family this year. We also usually have a cookout on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day and we didn’t do any of that either. I feel like thanksgiving and Xmas are such a big deal to people that I don’t know if people will be able to control themselves. They’re not that far away to the point where it seems things will be much different. Even New Year’s Eve. It’s crazy but as an introvert I’m good lol.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:24 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Likely Thanksgiving will just be with ourselves at home, which is fine as it's never been a big holiday for us. Christmas will be interesting. We usually host a big bash, so likely we won't do that this year. Might still have to do something with the grandparents so they can see the kiddos open up their gifts. Dec is a long way away, so we will see when it gets here. That's 3 mos of school, an election, and some more time to research before that gets here.

In the meantime, my son turns 3 in Oct, so we will likely do a small backyard gathering while the weather is nice. No idea what Halloween will be like. Many people who live in our neighborhood are elderly, in their 70's thru 90's. I have a feeling less will participate this year for obvious reasons. We usually partake iin the typical fall activities as well. Apple picking, farms, crop mazes, etc. We will see which ones are open and what we do.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:02 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/09...irus-pandemic/

"From free parking to dropping cosigner requirements, waiving security deposits, and giving away up to three months gratis, Clark said a recent report found one in five apartment offers in Boston now include concessions — up from just 6% of deals at the outset of the pandemic, according to Clark.

Concessions are a “leading indicator” that prices are about to drop ever further, Clark said.

“The fact that concessions are still going up is telling me landlords are trying to do something. If apartments keep going vacant, then Boston can expect to see further rent decline,” Clark said, saying the deals are likely to get even “sweeter” for renters through October and November."

" Perara of the CoStar group predicts a full recovery could take three to four years."

Ouch

Old 09-09-2020, 11:17 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Some not so good news .... the AZ/Oxford Phase 3 trial is on clinical hold to investigate a suspected serious adverse reaction in a participant in the UK.
The reaction must have been quite serious as it was in a single patient. That said the Financial Times has already reported they the trial is expected to resume next week.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:16 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Adverse reactions can range from skin irritation to death. If they stopped the trial, it was probably due to a severe adverse reaction and the researchers are tying to determine if the drug caused it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts