Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 12:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

It’s all going to just back to how people of color are economically disparaged, live in homes where they can’t social distance. There’s not going to be any solution for it and yes the bigger issue of covid 19 will be forgotten and becomes to many oh how can we save these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 12:20 PM

The race thing had already been mentioned in this thread. I wasn’t the first to bring it up but they are really really screaming about this all over the media now.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
The elderly were more at risk because of their fragile immune systems. They’re more at risk for many diseases.

It’s been said that black/Hispanics often have jobs where they’re essential employees and can’t stay home. What else is there to investigate? They’re not practicing social distancing so they’re going to be more likely to catch it. Nothing more to discuss.
You are making a big assumption about blacks and hispanics not practicing social distancing. I don't even know of any anecdotal evidence supporting that.

The higher incidence of serious illness or death from covid-19 for those groups could be attributed to a number of reasons - people who live in poor areas might not have ready access to medical care, blacks have a higher rate of diabetes and HBP than caucasians. Hispanics who are not here legally might delay seeking medical care out of fear that they will be deported - or there could be genetic issues.

I am HLA-B27 positive, that doesn't guarantee that I won't get ill from a virus, but people with the particular allele that I have, have been shown to be immune to hep C, HIV and various other viral diseases. Maybe blacks and hispanics have a genetic variant that makes them more susceptible. I don't know the answer and I don't think anyone has researched that.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:29 PM

Yes people in poor areas or areas where they live on top of one another will be at a higher risk. No one is at a higher risk simply based on skin color.

My mother in law has asthma and diabetes and she’s white. She’s trying her best not to get this by staying home.

This is a global pandemic. Everyone is at risk. Obviously non poor folks have it better as they do in many other situations.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
The elderly were more at risk because of their fragile immune systems. They’re more at risk for many diseases.

It’s been said that black/Hispanics often have jobs where they’re essential employees and can’t stay home. What else is there to investigate? They’re not practicing social distancing so they’re going to be more likely to catch it. Nothing more to discuss.

A lot. Since it is a lot more complicated than that.

Quote:
Yes people in poor areas or areas where they live on top of one another will be at a higher risk. No one is at a higher risk simply based on skin color.

You state this as fact. How do you know this?

Old 04-10-2020, 12:49 PM

It started in China, made its ways to Europe and now has taken out many people in the US.

Do you have info that blacks and Hispanics are more susceptible to it ? I think we both know that they are not. A virus does not discriminate or gravitate towards a certain race. Come on. If people are not being safe though there’s more of a chance they will get it.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:50 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
That is an honorable approach, and probably the primary reason African Americans are being hospitalized at higher rates.

This said, I've read at least a handful of legitimate studies which suggest those of African decent are significantly more like to carry a small genetic variation (74% versus 4% in western European decent) which leads to higher rates of renal disease and, as a result, hypertension. A number of other studies have drawn similar conclusions, but do not address the specific genetic variation.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
It started in China, made its ways to Europe and now has taken out many people in the US.

Do you have info that blacks and Hispanics are more susceptible to it ? I think we both know that they are not. A virus does not discriminate or gravitate towards a certain race. Come on. If people are not being safe though there’s more of a chance they will get it.

The bolded is factually incorrect. Some viruses do. See the small pox virus and is susceptibility in different races. Perhaps even yellow fever, although that one is debated.

Diseases certainly can and do have different susceptibilities to difference races. Not all. But some do. Absolutely they do. Plenty of diseases do. Malaria for one. We don't have the research yet on this one, but its hardly far fetched to hypothesize different races/ethnic backgrounds have different susceptibilities or vulnerabilities. We know the immune systems of different races respond differently.

Last edited by timberline742; 04-10-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-10-2020, 01:11 PM

Timberline it almost sounds like you are hopeful that people of color are more susceptible to covid 19.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:19 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Timberline it almost sounds like you are hopeful that people of color are more susceptible to covid 19.
I think you're trying to pick another fight. Go for a walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts