Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 06:36 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,614 times

Advertisements

Maine has somethings i seek to experience, it may be just only in my head. it is the only few place left in america that still has old american value. it has alot of snow, ocean, mountains and wide open space. all this good things may be more than i can handle, but i want to give it a shot. btw the list above are things i am fear and envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Well, I've seen the struggling economy, and people having trouble with expenses. But, I believe that you can find that anywhere. I've never had a problem finding a job here that pays well, but of course I have an education that allows me that freedom. I live my life, and I have a wonderful life, I certainly wouldn't say that I'm merely surviving day to day. I believe that there is a quality of life and people here in Maine that makes it unique--that to me is what makes the economy and "cost" worthwhile. There is just no price tag for that.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Well, I've seen the struggling economy, and people having trouble with expenses. But, I believe that you can find that anywhere. I've never had a problem finding a job here that pays well, but of course I have an education that allows me that freedom. I live my life, and I have a wonderful life, I certainly wouldn't say that I'm merely surviving day to day. I believe that there is a quality of life and people here in Maine that makes it unique--that to me is what makes the economy and "cost" worthwhile. There is just no price tag for that.
Very well said... we are planning on saving enough to barely scrape by in our old age.. but the "price" of being in such a wonderful place around such awesome people is well worth the "cost"!!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 02:20 PM

73 posts, read 148,210 times
I love Maine. I am in the Sebago Lake area and it's great for all the seasons. The logo on the license plate it so right on. " vacationland"
Sue

Old 08-02-2008, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 13,696 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm honestly glad it's working for you, but I'm really worried about Maine's elderly, its single moms living below the poverty level even though they're working more than one job (and in some cases several), and the countless good people who are just barely getting by, yet don't qualify for any kind of aid. And I can tell you that the economy in Maine is much worse than it is in most other areas of the country right now, and...winter's coming. I'm not trying to be negative, just calling it like I see it after four decades of life in Maine.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Sad to say, but true.

I am happy for you and your family. You made a wise choice. You can always move back to Maine when you are empty nesters
Thank you...we miss home so much. My husband and son are flying up on Tuesday to check the house and get it ready for winter (!)--I'm staying down here in TX with our younger son, who's working a summer job, and the dogs. We'll be home for Thanksgiving, though, and I can't wait...

Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Default I wish it weren't so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You speak a truth few want to hear!
I honestly hesitated before posting that--I wasn't trying to be uniformly negative, but there are so many people who seem so blatantly idealistic to me, even though their intentions are good; I completely understand Maine's siren pull. It's just that after a lifetime in Maine, living down here in Texas, as I'd mentioned, has been an epiphany--things are so much cheaper and easier in so many ways. God, we miss out on a lot at home. I had no idea what a contrast it would be until we got here. I'm not saying it's better, and it'll never be home, but we do feel it's panned out for the right reasons. We were very careful to hang on to our house in Maine, and we'll definitely be back, but for now, we're Damn Yankees ("What's the difference between Yankees and Damn Yankees? Yankees go home.").

Old 08-02-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaige View Post
I love Maine. I am in the Sebago Lake area and it's great for all the seasons. The logo on the license plate it so right on. " vacationland"
Sue
We had stickers on ours that changed it to 'Taxationland.' We got more comments on those--people loved them.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-02-2008 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: No links that are advertising

Old 08-02-2008, 03:49 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
I honestly hesitated before posting that--I wasn't trying to be uniformly negative, but there are so many people who seem so blatantly idealistic to me, even though their intentions are good; I completely understand Maine's siren pull. It's just that after a lifetime in Maine, living down here in Texas, as I'd mentioned, has been an epiphany--things are so much cheaper and easier in so many ways. God, we miss out on a lot at home. I had no idea what a contrast it would be until we got here. I'm not saying it's better, and it'll never be home, but we do feel it's panned out for the right reasons. We were very careful to hang on to our house in Maine, and we'll definitely be back, but for now, we're Damn Yankees ("What's the difference between Yankees and Damn Yankees? Yankees go home.").
Ted Nugent fronted for one?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
... but for now, we're Damn Yankees ("What's the difference between Yankees and Damn Yankees? Yankees go home.").
When I was down in Texas (Dallas area, Seagoville to be exact) it was: "Yankees live in the North, Damn Yankees come to Texas for a visit, G.D. Yankees move to Texas." I was called a GD Yankee more than I could begin to count in the 2 years I lived down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine