Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times

Advertisements

Pixie!! It's wonderful to see you again! Congratulations on the pregnancy and don't disappear for so long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
Thanks guys!!

To answer Mark S., the indecision: I told you I'm a schiz when it comes to moving lol!! There are quite a few factors. First and foremost, financial. Neither one of us are in jobs right now where we could "transfer". It would literally be "looking for work" up there for us. My husband is self-employed, so for him, it's all about starting over, making contacts, etc. which is probably harder than me just finding office work. Plus, I'm trying to go back to school (of course, after the baby comes obviously), so he doesn't want to move anywhere until I'm done with that so that I can pursue a career in the field I choose. Another obviously good theory. Third, mistrust. We don't know anyone anywhere up in ME or NH except my one friend. Which also brings me to the fact that it's hard to leave what and who you know and love. I'm a Jersey girl, sometimes I hate that, but the reality is that this is where my family and friends are and always have been, and at this point in life, will always be. We'd be leaving everyone, taking the kids away from cousins, friends, aunts/uncles and their grandmother. Sucks. My oldest is really fighting me on this and while I keep telling her nothing's definite, she doesn't care, she wants to stay, not to mention, as I keep "thinking" about moving, she's getting older and of course has less and less desire to leave her friends. So I keep coming back to square one, we'll just stay because we know our state and what's good and bad, blah, blah, blah, but the reality is, I'd rather move away and have to move back, then never have tried in the first place. (and time's not going any slower, ya know?). All of this = schizo!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 04:06 PM

25 posts, read 50,733 times
Default Schizo? I feel your pain.

Perhaps I'm not the best person to ask about living in Maine since I've spent the better part of today looking at data and forums about moving to New Mexico.

The economy here, even in the relatively spanky Midcoast, is terrible. I've been making calls for the Democrats and the people I reach, primarily unenrolled voters and Dems are terribly worried about oil prices and staying warm this winter. Everyone who ever had a wood stove is putting it back in--not a great move for the already Midwestern-coal befouled, mercury imbued air.

Schools are going through a revolution and class sizes will be rising, in part because of a recent budget busting move by the governor. I've been trying to return to my career as a teacher after having a child and despite terrific recommendations and 11 years' experience, nada. Sure I could probably get a job in Millinocket, but if I'm going to live in the middle of nowhere, I'd rather it was warm and sunny.

The public health system, Dirigo, designed to help those without insurance who don't qualify for Medicaid or MaineCare, is being gutted and way, way too many people don't have health insurance. Maine is one of the most expensive places in the country to have your own health coverage.

If your husband is self-employed, you might really want to check into how you'll be getting insured.

Sorry to be so cranky. I'm tired of the long winters. We have great summers--except when it's foggy for a month in June or July--but they're way, way, way too short.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Congrats, pixie. Eastport is still a thumbs up for our retirement. Heck we already know half the town from these forums!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
Question thinking about moving to ME

any thoughts on waterville i have some people there i know... or is there a near by city thats better?

Old 08-01-2008, 03:44 PM

11 posts, read 36,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leolabeth View Post
Perhaps I'm not the best person to ask about living in Maine since I've spent the better part of today looking at data and forums about moving to New Mexico.

I'm tired of the long winters. We have great summers--except when it's foggy for a month in June or July--but they're way, way, way too short.
Hey, I've been doing the same thing for about two months now (reading forums on New Mexico). Not only did this winter do me in but now it has rained practically every day through June and July. I feel trapped in my house and I am already fearful of the winter to come.

Where have you been looking at in New Mexico? I like Silver City!

Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Thanks guys!!

To answer Mark S., the indecision: I told you I'm a schiz when it comes to moving lol!! There are quite a few factors. First and foremost, financial. Neither one of us are in jobs right now where we could "transfer". It would literally be "looking for work" up there for us. My husband is self-employed, so for him, it's all about starting over, making contacts, etc. which is probably harder than me just finding office work. Plus, I'm trying to go back to school (of course, after the baby comes obviously), so he doesn't want to move anywhere until I'm done with that so that I can pursue a career in the field I choose. Another obviously good theory. Third, mistrust. We don't know anyone anywhere up in ME or NH except my one friend. Which also brings me to the fact that it's hard to leave what and who you know and love. I'm a Jersey girl, sometimes I hate that, but the reality is that this is where my family and friends are and always have been, and at this point in life, will always be. We'd be leaving everyone, taking the kids away from cousins, friends, aunts/uncles and their grandmother. Sucks. My oldest is really fighting me on this and while I keep telling her nothing's definite, she doesn't care, she wants to stay, not to mention, as I keep "thinking" about moving, she's getting older and of course has less and less desire to leave her friends. So I keep coming back to square one, we'll just stay because we know our state and what's good and bad, blah, blah, blah, but the reality is, I'd rather move away and have to move back, then never have tried in the first place. (and time's not going any slower, ya know?). All of this = schizo!!!!
I lived in NJ for a long time (13 - early 30's)but never really settled there so leaving was pretty easy for me. I went to Southern MD from NJ and eventually landed in Maine. I love it here and finally feel like this is the place for me. I have friends and my older kids have family there so we still end up there sometimes.

When I left NJ years ago a good friend of mine who had lived in NJ all her life moved to Maine. She left tons of family behind. She loves it here too and has really settled in. And the family she left behind... guess what... this is vacationland... they come to visit a lot. And some are even migrating here permanently. So it is workable.

Now another friend of hers went south around the same time to one of the Carolinas I think. She couldn't stand it, missed the heck out of NJ, and just moved back. It is hard to figure out what is the best choice for an anti-moving kid but I think you are right, it is better to try then to wonder forever what it would have been like.

My son, who was not opposed to the move so not the same situation, actually thanked my friend recently for getting us to move to Maine.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 PM

6 posts, read 13,700 times
Thumbs up I have to say---

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolabeth View Post

The economy here, even in the relatively spanky Midcoast, is terrible. I've been making calls for the Democrats and the people I reach, primarily unenrolled voters and Dems are terribly worried about oil prices and staying warm this winter. Everyone who ever had a wood stove is putting it back in--not a great move for the already Midwestern-coal befouled, mercury imbued air.

Schools are going through a revolution and class sizes will be rising, in part because of a recent budget busting move by the governor. I've been trying to return to my career as a teacher after having a child and despite terrific recommendations and 11 years' experience, nada. Sure I could probably get a job in Millinocket, but if I'm going to live in the middle of nowhere, I'd rather it was warm and sunny.

The public health system, Dirigo, designed to help those without insurance who don't qualify for Medicaid or MaineCare, is being gutted and way, way too many people don't have health insurance. Maine is one of the most expensive places in the country to have your own health coverage.

If your husband is self-employed, you might really want to check into how you'll be getting insured.

Sorry to be so cranky. I'm tired of the long winters. We have great summers--except when it's foggy for a month in June or July--but they're way, way, way too short.
You are absolutely right. I was born in Maine, raised and educated there, went to college there, got married, worked, and had our kids there, raised both of them through high school there---you get the idea. Well, to cut to the chase, after a lifetime in Maine (first Aroostook County and then Hancock County), my husband, nearly-grown kids and I are now in...Texas. We moved this past February. It was, and I don't say this lightly, one of the hardest decisions we have ever made.

Why'd we do it?

In a word, the economy. Maine is, and I will stand by this, a very, very difficult place to make a living. Too many people, in my humble opinion, are simply surviving day-to-day. They're barely, barely getting by. This isn't new, and a lot of people will try and candy-coat it--but given the current state of affairs nationwide and the winter Maine just had, it's as bad as I've ever seen it at home, and my remaining family and friends there all concur. Maine has one of the lowest incomes per-capita in the entire US, yet it's one of the highest-taxed, if not the highest-taxed states. Energy costs? Astronomical. Food? Astronomical. Jobs? Right.

Last winter, our fuel costs totted up to more than $2400 for a two-year-old 3000 s.f. home that we insulated to the gills. We have an efficient radiant heat system that we kept at 68, and a big woodstove. We were lucky--we were able to absorb that increase--how many people couldn't have? The Ellsworth American ran an editorial recently that flatly stated fear that people might actually freeze to death this coming winter! In 40+ years in Maine, I've never seen that. Google it. We just filled our fuel tank at home (we kept our house): it was $4.71/gallon, for a total of $1177.66. That's one tank of fuel. One tank.

We realized last summer (and this was way before gas and fuel got as bad as they are right now) that things had gotten to the point in Maine where way too much of our income was going towards just day-to-day expenses: gas for driving to work and school, CMP for keeping the lights on, the fuel company, the grocery store, and the State itself. When we sat down and really went over the numbers, they were irrefutable. We've been in Texas for almost seven months now, homesick as can be, but: our cost of living has dropped more than 30 percent, and other than missing home terribly, I'd be lying if I didn't say our actual quality of life has improved overall. It's been eye-opening in the extreme. So, respectfully, I'd think long and carefully about moving to Maine, especially if you don't have a history or a rock-solid job there. I'm sure there are some who will disagree with me, but I think having to live with more than one family in a house to share fuel expenses, running iffy wood-burning rigs to save money, and maybe even having to choose between gas and food is going much too far in 2008. JMO...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
You are absolutely right. I was born in Maine, raised and educated there, went to college there, got married, worked, and had our kids there, raised both of them through high school there---you get the idea. Well, to cut to the chase, after a lifetime in Maine (first Aroostook County and then Hancock County), my husband, nearly-grown kids and I are now in...Texas. We moved this past February. It was, and I don't say this lightly, one of the hardest decisions we have ever made.

Why'd we do it?

In a word, the economy. Maine is, and I will stand by this, a very, very difficult place to make a living. Too many people, in my humble opinion, are simply surviving day-to-day. They're barely, barely getting by. This isn't new, and a lot of people will try and candy-coat it--but given the current state of affairs nationwide and the winter Maine just had, it's as bad as I've ever seen it at home, and my remaining family and friends there all concur. Maine has one of the lowest incomes per-capita in the entire US, yet it's one of the highest-taxed, if not the highest-taxed states. Energy costs? Astronomical. Food? Astronomical. Jobs? Right.

Last winter, our fuel costs totted up to more than $2400 for a two-year-old 3000 s.f. home that we insulated to the gills. We have an efficient radiant heat system that we kept at 68, and a big woodstove. We were lucky--we were able to absorb that increase--how many people couldn't have? The Ellsworth American ran an editorial recently that flatly stated fear that people might actually freeze to death this coming winter! In 40+ years in Maine, I've never seen that. Google it. We just filled our fuel tank at home (we kept our house): it was $4.71/gallon, for a total of $1177.66. That's one tank of fuel. One tank.

We realized last summer (and this was way before gas and fuel got as bad as they are right now) that things had gotten to the point in Maine where way too much of our income was going towards just day-to-day expenses: gas for driving to work and school, CMP for keeping the lights on, the fuel company, the grocery store, and the State itself. When we sat down and really went over the numbers, they were irrefutable. We've been in Texas for almost seven months now, homesick as can be, but: our cost of living has dropped more than 30 percent, and other than missing home terribly, I'd be lying if I didn't say our actual quality of life has improved overall. It's been eye-opening in the extreme. So, respectfully, I'd think long and carefully about moving to Maine, especially if you don't have a history or a rock-solid job there. I'm sure there are some who will disagree with me, but I think having to live with more than one family in a house to share fuel expenses, running iffy wood-burning rigs to save money, and maybe even having to choose between gas and food is going much too far in 2008. JMO...
You speak a truth few want to hear!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post

Why'd we do it?

Sad to say, but true.

I am happy for you and your family. You made a wise choice. You can always move back to Maine when you are empty nesters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine