Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Gorham, and it was absolutely wonderful. I have lived in Windham and Portland, as well. I found that Windham felt too far from everything for me, although North Windham is getting bigger and bigger all the time. Portland is wonderful to live in being young with no real responsibilities....but if I had a family, I would definately live in Gorham. It is the type of town that you don't have to worry. I started walking to school in the 4th grade and always felt safe. It is an extremely friendly town. You can't go to the grocery store without running into someone you know. The schools are wonderful. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with its location. Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 06:37 PM

4 posts, read 30,550 times
It is true that mainers think maine is theres for being native, but coming from another country and facing the many challenges the usa has to offer as a foreingner already, mainer are second nature to me and i'll be moving this july 08 from maryland and guess what mainers will be loving me there! because maine is for anyone who loves challeges and learn how to live with them not for who allows whatever from them. Maine is a great place to be missing me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
In reading all these posts from people thinking of moving to Maine I have to say this since I haven't seen it yet. My family has been vacationing in Maine for the last 10 years in the Naples area. So we really know Maine from a visitors perspective and we love it. During this time we really tried to get to know Mainers because we love Maine and thought about retiring there one day. A guy I worked with was transferred from the Philly area to Bangor. Then a few years later I saw him back here in Philly I asked him how is Maine. He said after a year or two he and his wife requested a transfer out of Maine because they were never accepted there by native Mainers. I heard the same thing from a Mainer when we vacationed in the Moosehead Lake area one summer. He said being from Maine is what they, native Mainers, have and they don't want/accept people moving up here. Just last year while renting on Brandy Pond three women who turned out to be sisters were walking on the path near the lake. I started a conversation with them, you know just trying to be friendly, one woman told me she lived in Maine 15 years now, she was originally from MASS and said she never found Maine people welcoming to outsiders. As a result of all this my wife and I are looking more to Vermont to retire to someday or maybe New Hampshire instead of Maine. We're from PA. Any comments on my thoughts?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 30,550 times
Hi I lived in Brunswick maine for 2years and it was a great small town to be in except everything just about revolves around the navy, as I moved out I felt I left the navy as well My kids loved it, but if coming from a big city as we were charlotte, nc it gets a little bored! and bath Its just a small city in maine, good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
So everyone on here must hate me by now, with all of my questions and indecisions. However, my husband and I must feel secure in our decision and since I'm not familiar with the areas, I'd like as much feedback as I can get. With that said, can anyone tell me what they know about Bath? I know it's near Brunswick and I figured it wouldn't hurt to check out yet another town. Thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,605 times
Default Colleges and Seniors

Hi,
I will soon be an earlier retiree, and plan to move to midcoast Maine early next year. We'll be up house hunting this July. I've always liked the idea of a college town. We enjoy artsy stuff - music, theater, and assumed that one of the college towns would be a good fit. Maybe even take some classes. Am I being realistic? Are there Maine campuses that welcome community people and have open performances or other activities? Gorham sounds like a possibility, and certainly Brunswick. Thoughts?
Gerry

Old 05-03-2008, 06:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Flanagna View Post
Hi,
I will soon be an earlier retiree, and plan to move to midcoast Maine early next year. We'll be up house hunting this July. I've always liked the idea of a college town. We enjoy artsy stuff - music, theater, and assumed that one of the college towns would be a good fit. Maybe even take some classes. Am I being realistic? Are there Maine campuses that welcome community people and have open performances or other activities? Gorham sounds like a possibility, and certainly Brunswick. Thoughts?
Gerry
I am going further up(down?) the coast when I retire early *crosses fingers* ,but from what I can tell from the groups on here if you are willing to get involved and accept your community, they will accept you.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,548 times
Smile schools are great

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I still can't believe what I'm seeing in this forum!!! It's either love or hate Maine pretty much, I haven't seen anyone who's "in the middle of the road". My impression is that it's a fantastic place to live, maybe not so fantastic in job market because a lot of the state remains undeveloped. It's a great place to raise kids in mostly "safe" areas with great morals and family/neighborhood values. Yet, if you don't keep these children involved in many activities it causes them to become bored and either make trouble or leave when they're old enough. Is this impression most of you are getting (or giving)?

Unless Maine is different from NJ or anywhere else and kids do get THAT bored, I'm experiencing the same thing here. If we don't keep our kids involved in activities with the school, sports, etc, they get into trouble. In addition to this, it's very important that we keep them active within their own families. So unless one of you Mainers can argue this, I'm going to assume that it's no worse there than anywhere with keeping our children involved and enthusiastic about being involved.

What I would like to know (whether it be a fact or opinion) is 1. What the school statistics are. I've asked this before but have gotten very vague opinions on the school systems there. I don't care where you're from, if you know something about the school systems in your own area or somewhere else in Maine, then please write about it. It would be a great help. How good are these schools? How modern and well equipped (i.e. computers/books/supplies) are these schools? What is the student/teacher ratio? Are the teachers allowed or required to have aides/assistants in the classroom? Are the teachers certified? How good are the teachers? What is the turn-around (good or bad) on teachers? Also, because I've heard your state is "low" on teachers, are there enough teachers? Which school systems are not so good. Again, this can be HS, Junior HS or elementary school.

2. What is prospective for job growth in the future? Is the state of Maine planning to build more and grow in industry? Is the state going to allow other companies to relocate there (big and small)? Where (if anyplace) does the state plan to build and grow, is it just the major cities like Portland, Augusta, Bangor or elsewhere too? What does the state forecast for our children and their career status, will they succeed in Maine because of growth or will they need to move or simply go into the medical or teaching field if they want to remain in Maine? What are the potential insights for 5 yrs. from now or 10, 20 years from now? I know no one can predict the future, however, each state, county or community does prepare for the future and usually does put out some sort of prospectus. I can't imagine that the state isn't planning for the future (or from the way some people have made it sound, worried about the future).

Again, I ask these questions because I have children and my concern isn't for just NOW, it's for the rest of my life as well as theirs, should they want to remain whereever I land them. In addition, please keep in mind, I'm not asking whether you are going to build up so much that you become another NY/NJ, I hope for your sake that never happens. However, people have made it sound like there is nothing there but some schools, hospitals and homes.

Thank you all for your responses!!!
the schools in maine are great i grew up in maine and had better education then any body i have now met in my 36 years in florida or in kentucky i just recently had a son and now i am moving back to maine to raise him how i was raised so he has a great education yes its true as i did when kids grow up they useally move away but they come back as i am now.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
you know, I just noticed that Pixie started this thread, and we haven't seen her in a very long time!! Did she decide to move to Maine after her visit? Anyone know? hmm....there's someone else who moved here that we never hear from....oh, two someones....lubecmason and someone who's name I can't quite remember who moved to the Machias area. Geez, they get here, get happy, and we lose them!
Hey, here I am!! I've been gone for almost a year I think, with the exception of very few comments here and there. Been too busy to be on here, sorry!!! Working now and preggos (again) so um, I've been really busy lol! Anyway, nope, still in Jersey and probably will be forever. However, I want out!!! I'm still at the same darn crossroads I've always been at: leave what I know and love, leave my family and friends or move far and attempt to prosper (knowing I can come back here, worst case scenario). I JUST DON'T KNOW!!! Anyway, yeah, it's a toss up between here, Milford PA (which is where my husband thinks will be a happy median) or NH or ME (which are the two states I think would be best choice aside from not leaving this dump lol). So tell me, what have I missed? Has anything changed or is Maine still a thumbs up to most people?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Rural Maine is 'thumbs up' for me.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,499 times
I was transfered from Maine to NJ four years ago. We have been looking to return since the first month of living here.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
I was transfered from Maine to NJ four years ago. We have been looking to return since the first month of living here.
You poor thing! Sorry to hear that. Where in Maine did you come from and where in Jersey are you? Are you a born Mainer or did you move there from elsewhere too? I think it's safe to say that when it comes to moving or thinking about moving, I am a classified schizophrenic lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine