Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 AM

228 posts, read 221,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am glad that I don't live anywhere near you do.

There are jobs that pay $7/hour and there are jobs that pay more; my wife gets over twice that.

An older home with poor insulation may well cost a lot more to heat. But that is your decision to make [whether to live without insulation, or to live with insulation].

Raising five children we never paid $400/month for food. But then my wife does a lot of coupon shopping.

The price of gasoline is really about the same coast-to-coast the variations are small. Whining about the price of gas in Maine, is dumb.

Crime? LOL give me a break!
Okay my house is insulated, I also use coupon's, and could you please tell me what I could start whinning about so I don't sound dumb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 AM

26 posts, read 57,496 times
FYI
There seems to be a considerable amount of conversation about Mainers. My family moved here in the late 1600's. We seem to have survived, prospered and had wonderful, long lived healthy lives. Growing up I yearned to know more about the rest of these United States. I did well in my chosen career and supported myself as a roving troubleshooter for 20 years. I have lived in over thirty states and 100 plus towns and cities of all types throughout the country. So, I am going to take a moment and weigh in on this.
Human beings come in all shapes, sizes, and perspectives. In a new environment it is best to be humble, respectful, and smile a lot. Always be courteous no matter what the person's economic status. Surviving in a foreign area is much easier when the working class considers you one of them and non threatening. Maine, like many areas, suffers from many well meaning individuals whom know how to do things better faster, and cheaper. Having moved here from away demonstrates to the natives how successful you were. It's their life many newcomers are insistent in trying to change. Most everyone resists change. Patience and tolerance are essential.
There are completely distinct areas in the state. The coast, the Portland metro area and southward. and the 90% of the rest of the state. It would be very helpful to any newcomer to realize vast differences in each area and the prevailing attitudes. Especially if you decide to make this your home.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:00 PM

228 posts, read 221,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnsBestDad View Post
FYI
There seems to be a considerable amount of conversation about Mainers. My family moved here in the late 1600's. We seem to have survived, prospered and had wonderful, long lived healthy lives. Growing up I yearned to know more about the rest of these United States. I did well in my chosen career and supported myself as a roving troubleshooter for 20 years. I have lived in over thirty states and 100 plus towns and cities of all types throughout the country. So, I am going to take a moment and weigh in on this.
Human beings come in all shapes, sizes, and perspectives. In a new environment it is best to be humble, respectful, and smile a lot. Always be courteous no matter what the person's economic status. Surviving in a foreign area is much easier when the working class considers you one of them and non threatening. Maine, like many areas, suffers from many well meaning individuals whom know how to do things better faster, and cheaper. Having moved here from away demonstrates to the natives how successful you were. It's their life many newcomers are insistent in trying to change. Most everyone resists change. Patience and tolerance are essential.
There are completely distinct areas in the state. The coast, the Portland metro area and southward. and the 90% of the rest of the state. It would be very helpful to any newcomer to realize vast differences in each area and the prevailing attitudes. Especially if you decide to make this your home.
I agree 100% .

Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
Quote:
FYI
I wonder if this longevity of your family in Maine puts you into that category of Mainers that LTTT is so busy complaining about....

I do have to say, being a native Mainer who's never lived elsewhere, I don't feel that newcomers in moving here demonstrate how successful they were elsewhere! I've actually never considered that. In my eyes, a newcomer to Maine sees what we have to offer here, on many, many different fronts, and he/she/they want to be a part of that. Every newcomer has a different reason for moving here, and brings with them their very own story. I don't think any of them move here to demonstrate to us how successful they were in their previous location!

Old 08-15-2007, 06:26 PM

191 posts, read 519,233 times
Quote:
FYI
Will you (or anyone) be a little more specific about the characterizations of the distinct areas?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
i cant believe maine is so different than most places, in the respect, if you are decent to others most will be decent to you.

as far as work and jobs go,,if you have specialized skills, or educated, there are plenty of jobs in maine,,,if you are a nurse,,you have your choice when and where you want to work, and i heard thier is quite the shortage for welders and pipefitters,
if you dont have a specialized skill or highly educated, i do believe you can still find work,,,many maine businesses, because of a labor shortage hire foreign "students" from russia, romania, and other countries i cant spell,,,are these jobs low paying,,or beneath most of us?? i dont believe so,,,most every job, based on merit, work ethic and achievement, can open doors to higher paying jobs,,im livin proof of this,,
i can write for three hrs on the friends i have that started out humble,,,a minimal,paying or starting job,,,,,and they advanced or used this knowledge to open thier own business,,a close friend,,started his own landscape business with just a pushmower,,now he has 15 workers, new trucks and equipment,,and doing great,,,same with the lowly laborer,,that helped build foundations,,then started his own company,,,or another friend,,that was a lowly helper,,laying carpets,,and putting in hardwood and ,,tile floors,,now he has his own business,,,
im a firm believer,,,most anyone can achieve far more than they give themselves credit for,,or simply put, they are thier own anchors,,much easier to *****, whine and complain,,
i had three low paying , hard labor jobs when i was in my 20's, but each job, opened a door,,
there's an old saying,, you either steer your own ship, or drift in the cuirrents of others,,(not knowing where you are going, but complaining along the way)

ive seen many a cashier,,(minimum wage) work thier way up to be a store manager,,and/or eventually own thier own store,,
there's honor in all work,,,there's no honor in choosing not to work,,or complaining, and having no motivation..

Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i cant believe maine is so different than most places, in the respect, if you are decent to others most will be decent to you.

as far as work and jobs go,,if you have specialized skills, or educated, there are plenty of jobs in maine,,,if you are a nurse,,you have your choice when and where you want to work, and i heard thier is quite the shortage for welders and pipefitters,
if you dont have a specialized skill or highly educated, i do believe you can still find work,,,many maine businesses, because of a labor shortage hire foreign "students" from russia, romania, and other countries i cant spell,,,are these jobs low paying,,or beneath most of us?? i dont believe so,,,most every job, based on merit, work ethic and achievement, can open doors to higher paying jobs,,im livin proof of this,,
i can write for three hrs on the friends i have that started out humble,,,a minimal,paying or starting job,,,,,and they advanced or used this knowledge to open thier own business,,a close friend,,started his own landscape business with just a pushmower,,now he has 15 workers, new trucks and equipment,,and doing great,,,same with the lowly laborer,,that helped build foundations,,then started his own company,,,or another friend,,that was a lowly helper,,laying carpets,,and putting in hardwood and ,,tile floors,,now he has his own business,,,
im a firm believer,,,most anyone can achieve far more than they give themselves credit for,,or simply put, they are thier own anchors,,much easier to *****, whine and complain,,
i had three low paying , hard labor jobs when i was in my 20's, but each job, opened a door,,
there's an old saying,, you either steer your own ship, or drift in the cuirrents of others,,(not knowing where you are going, but complaining along the way)

ive seen many a cashier,,(minimum wage) work thier way up to be a store manager,,and/or eventually own thier own store,,
there's honor in all work,,,there's no honor in choosing not to work,,or complaining, and having no motivation..

Well stated!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
isn't he good El?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,806 times
We live in the Spokane area and have an Organic farm here(20 acres) my brother lives in Gorham between the both of us the Portland/Gorham area seems to be a much better choice for us to raise our family. It seems to be more family orientated and possibly more chance for my children with a better opportunity in extra curricular things to do and see, my boys are 5-6, My wife works for the County Sherriffs office now and has about 5 years in and benefits the hourly wage is not enough to make a living on, so that is the only thing which we are questioning...Would this be a good move, I stay home and raise my boys and am a Farmer of our Organics so we are very health concious, the Spokane area is not into the Organic way of life so it makes it very hard on us, if we get to Maine I will be looking for work again, I used to have my own Landscape company and am a Jack of all trades and not afraid of work I have been working laborous jobs my whole life and I am 48 now, what are some opinions on our situation?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
Mark,

We live in Gorham and think you'd be happy here. We had a landscaper out here a few weeks ago and it's a good business and many folks are electing to stay in their homes and improve them inside and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine