Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 13,478 times

Advertisements

Eastport is located off of Rte 1, on the coast, up near the Canadian border. We are an island city on Passamaquoddy Bay, connected to the main land by a causeway that passes through Pleasant Point Reservation, home to the Passamaquoddy Tribe. Moose Island, our other name, is home to Shackford Head State Park, the Community College Maritime Trades & Boat School, 1600 residents, and loads of historic architecture that ranges from $50,000-$500,000 in price. A home building/woodworker contractor of high caliber and work ethic would do extraordinarily well here. We have a darth of quality home contractors who show up on time, do a good job, and guarantee their work. Our new residents are used to a high level of craftsmanship and will pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debf1970 View Post
Hi. I just realized that your last post was responding to me. Thank you. I was trying to find Eastport, but couldn't locate it. As far as being expensive goes, I don't think the housing can compare to Tahoe. You can't touch a shack for less than $500,000. It is rediculous. That is why we are leaving. There will never be a chance for us to do what we want. My husband is a construction superintendent for a custom home builder, and thus is very good at woodworking, so we were thinking possibly about making some type of home furnishing and selling them online. That and the possibility of a gourmet grocery is at the top of our list. Once again, thank you for your time.
You really need to come to Maine and spend some time traveling about. What you are describing at first is Maine from Belfast east to the Canadian border. What you are discussing is opening a business that really cannot be supported unless you are in "North Boston", which is largely the area from Camden west to the New Hampshire border.

It seems to me that you are expecting something other than is in Maine. You must remember one fact above all others: Maine is a very large state. It is about half way between the nation's largest and smallest states. The most important fact to remember that in all of this space there are ONLY ONE MILLION TWO HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE year round. Approximately 75% of the population lives in a semi-circle of land that runs from roughly Brunswick west and southward to the New Hampshire border, and includes approximately ten percent of the total land area. The influence of the Boston megalopolis throughout this area is substantial.

Above that semi-circle, Maine is very rural, highly seasonal and enjoys a much, much smaller economy.

The population demographic cannot be over stressed, especially who have never lived in Maine, and are not familiar with New England north of New Jersey. If you are exceptionally well capitalized and exceptionally well motivated, and an exceptionally good business manager, you can make a good living throughout the state. Just remember the basic number which governs EVERYthing: One point two million people in an area that is larger than all five other New England states combined, and depending on which count you use, including part of New York and New Jersey, too.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
Default From a native Mainer

Taxes are ridiculous in this state; there are black flies in spring, mosquitoes through the summer, ticks from June to November. Property costs a fortune. Clean air is a joke (we're called the "exhaust pipe of the nation" because emissions from Midwest coal-burning plants head straight here) and if you ask me, the school system is out of control. Global warming is tempering our previously horrendous winters, but keep in mind that today's Maine coast will be well underwater when the polar ice cap melts. The turnpike authority keeps widening I-95 -- if you move here for the state's rural aspects, be aware that southern Maine in particular is under attack by urban sprawl. People fleeing Boston move up here for peace & quiet and inadvertently are turning it into a suburb. The houses that are being built are not starter houses by any stretch of the imagination. They are huge and expensive. Our summers are generally beautiful, but they are unbelievably short. Don't blink, or you'll miss it. OK, that's the down side. Just thought you needed some balance in these opinions!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:52 AM

423 posts, read 1,930,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfarmer View Post
Taxes are ridiculous in this state; there are black flies in spring, mosquitoes through the summer, ticks from June to November. Property costs a fortune. Clean air is a joke (we're called the "exhaust pipe of the nation" because emissions from Midwest coal-burning plants head straight here) and if you ask me, the school system is out of control. Global warming is tempering our previously horrendous winters, but keep in mind that today's Maine coast will be well underwater when the polar ice cap melts. The turnpike authority keeps widening I-95 -- if you move here for the state's rural aspects, be aware that southern Maine in particular is under attack by urban sprawl. People fleeing Boston move up here for peace & quiet and inadvertently are turning it into a suburb. The houses that are being built are not starter houses by any stretch of the imagination. They are huge and expensive. Our summers are generally beautiful, but they are unbelievably short. Don't blink, or you'll miss it. OK, that's the down side. Just thought you needed some balance in these opinions!
I have lived in Maine my whole life and I have never heard it refered to as "the exhaust pipe of the nation." Who knows what the real stats are but Maine air seems pretty good to me. There's so many trees to produce oxygen.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:36 AM

306 posts, read 1,036,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfarmer View Post
Taxes are ridiculous in this state;
There many threads about this, They are not the highest.

Quote:
there are black flies in spring, mosquitoes through the summer, ticks from June to November.
Long pants and bug spray.

Quote:
Property costs a fortune.
By the coast, reasonable elsewhere.

Quote:
Clean air is a joke (we're called the "exhaust pipe of the nation" because emissions from Midwest coal-burning plants head straight here)
What tkx7 said.

Quote:
the school system is out of control.
Explain.

Quote:
Global warming is tempering our previously horrendous winters,
Comparing to last years it is getting better. Its also been cold again.

Quote:
but keep in mind that today's Maine coast will be well underwater when the polar ice cap melts.
Well in a few hundred years you may want to look west.

Quote:
The turnpike authority keeps widening I-95
Needed it, especially in tourist season.

Quote:
if you move here for the state's rural aspects, be aware that southern Maine in particular is under attack by urban sprawl. People fleeing Boston move up here for peace & quiet and inadvertently are turning it into a suburb.
Same is happening all over America.

Quote:
The houses that are being built are not starter houses by any stretch of the imagination. They are huge and expensive.
There is nothing wrong with a modest house. If a big house is a turn off then...well...aint capitalism great!?

Quote:
Our summers are generally beautiful, but they are unbelievably short. Don't blink, or you'll miss it.
Winter is better, I think.

That just shows that the bad sides really are not all bad.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:23 AM

71 posts, read 252,231 times
Default Air quality in Maine

Here is a site for a map of air quality in Maine:

creativemethods.com/airquality/maps/maine.htm

The main page with information about grading is here:

creativemethods.com/airquality/maps/

Last edited by chickadee; 03-18-2007 at 05:57 AM..

Old 03-18-2007, 06:36 AM

117 posts, read 430,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
A friend of mine moved to Maine a few years ago from New Jersey. She loves it and has been encouraging us to move there. We started out joking about it, however, my husband and I have become very serious about moving. We have children and in a couple of years our oldest will be entering high school. Being a lifelong "Jerseyan" myself and noticing the changes, I DO NOT want my kids growing up around here. I've done plenty of research about Maine but have yet to get an actual person's opinion, other than my friend. I think Bangor might be too far, we were thinking Greater Portland area (falmouth, windham) but I wouldn't completely disregard the Bangor area or somewhere in between. Any suggestions/opinions???? Thanks.
Bangor is fantastic. In Bangor, you are at the edge of the world but close enough to civilization. Whatever you decide be sure you buy good equipment for snow removal. Also, read up on wood stove safety. Makes all the different in the world.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:40 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitlover View Post
Bangor is fantastic. In Bangor, you are at the edge of the world but close enough to civilization. Whatever you decide be sure you buy good equipment for snow removal. Also, read up on wood stove safety. Makes all the different in the world.

LOL

I do like Bangor.

I a bit North of Bangor, my wife commutes into the city for work. And we shop in Bangor.

It is a nice place.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 14,226 times
Default negativity!!

It seems to me like some of you negative writters don't really want anyone new moving into your space. Ya know what, taxes are ridiculous everywhere, except maybe Arkansas, or Oklahoma. It's all relative. Focus on the negative and negative things will happen. If you're so unhappy with what Maine is, why don't you find somewhere else to go, as I'm doing. Thanks for your "great input" though.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:14 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debf1970 View Post
It seems to me like some of you negative writters don't really want anyone new moving into your space. Ya know what, taxes are ridiculous everywhere, except maybe Arkansas, or Oklahoma. It's all relative. Focus on the negative and negative things will happen. If you're so unhappy with what Maine is, why don't you find somewhere else to go, as I'm doing. Thanks for your "great input" though.

LOL

Dont you just love it.

May God bless you and keep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine