Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2006, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,674 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I stumbled upon this post looking for something totally not related and felt the need to join to respond to some of the moving concerns. My husband and I moved to Maine the day after we graduated from college (Pitt) in 2001. I fell in love with Maine when I was kid and so did my husband (boyfriend at the time) when we visited together in college. What drew us to Maine was the different way of life. In Pittsburgh, I was becoming a road rager(sp?) since 4 hours of my day was spent in traffic trying to get in and out of the city. I thought, "I do not want to live like this anymore! I'm missing out on life!" Crime was just getting ridiculous and after having my identiy stolen, I lived in fear that someone was going to break in to my apartment. Not to mention the shootings that were occuring every other day behind our building. I also grew up outside of Pittsburgh in a safer envrionment but as a kid, longed to be near water that I could swim in without dying of toxic something. My husband and I want our future children to enjoy the outdoors as much as we do and we want them to be safe. That's why we live in Maine.

Compared to Pittsburgh, Maine is much more expensive- Houses are quite a bit more expensive, jobs are not as plenty and taxes kill ya. Jobs are much easier to find once you know people here. Mainers tend to hire people they know first. BUT, I haven't met a Mainah that doesn't say, "it's not cheap, but look what you pay for everyday. Things you just can't buy elsewhere." Keep in mind we pay a lot in taxes because we don't have a lot of people here! Also, Maine is still one of the cheaper New England states overall.

NJ- my former boss moved from NJ and said that houses were cheaper in Maine although the salaries were much less than NJ. (He in fact sold his house in NJ and bought a huge house here in Scarborough for less than half of his old home in NJ.) But they too moved to Maine for the peace and quiet like we did.

We have lived in Portland, Denmark and now Topsham, Maine. My husband just got a job in Waterville and now we will be venturing north. (anyone living up that way please tell us your favorite areas. We want a place off the beaten path. Leaning towards Vassalboro right now) Topsham is hands down our favorite place so moving will be very hard. So close to the best beaches, lakes, mountains, "city" (Portland) and airports. It's a growing communtiy up against Brunswick (and much cheaper than Brunswick) and from what I hear, has some excellent schools.

SO, I would recommend moving to Maine! Think about where you live right now and what kind of life you really want...when they say "Maine, the way life should be." they mean it! We gave up crime and lots of noise to move to Maine, period. Find a good job before you move up here and you will be "all set."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,682 times
We have spent some time searching for a place to re-locate. I can no longer cope with the hot, humid Chicago Summers.

We finally settled on Maine. We purchased a lot in a small development in Northport, which has a nice view of Penobscot Bay. We shall be building there soon. We are 10 minutes from Waldo County Hospital, and Belfast.

I am a disabled, wheelchair-bound veteran, and my wife is disabled as well. We are both part Scandinavian so we won't mind the Winter, besides, we have survived Chicago Winters!

We have no children, so that is not a concern. We have our cats and dog and we are nature nurturers.

We are, also, Christmas "fanatics." Love it! Love it! Love it!

We can't wait to get our "butt's" out there, and personally meet all the GREAT persons we have met through phone calls and emails.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,639 times
I still can't believe what I'm seeing in this forum!!! It's either love or hate Maine pretty much, I haven't seen anyone who's "in the middle of the road". My impression is that it's a fantastic place to live, maybe not so fantastic in job market because a lot of the state remains undeveloped. It's a great place to raise kids in mostly "safe" areas with great morals and family/neighborhood values. Yet, if you don't keep these children involved in many activities it causes them to become bored and either make trouble or leave when they're old enough. Is this impression most of you are getting (or giving)?

Unless Maine is different from NJ or anywhere else and kids do get THAT bored, I'm experiencing the same thing here. If we don't keep our kids involved in activities with the school, sports, etc, they get into trouble. In addition to this, it's very important that we keep them active within their own families. So unless one of you Mainers can argue this, I'm going to assume that it's no worse there than anywhere with keeping our children involved and enthusiastic about being involved.

What I would like to know (whether it be a fact or opinion) is 1. What the school statistics are. I've asked this before but have gotten very vague opinions on the school systems there. I don't care where you're from, if you know something about the school systems in your own area or somewhere else in Maine, then please write about it. It would be a great help. How good are these schools? How modern and well equipped (i.e. computers/books/supplies) are these schools? What is the student/teacher ratio? Are the teachers allowed or required to have aides/assistants in the classroom? Are the teachers certified? How good are the teachers? What is the turn-around (good or bad) on teachers? Also, because I've heard your state is "low" on teachers, are there enough teachers? Which school systems are not so good. Again, this can be HS, Junior HS or elementary school.

2. What is prospective for job growth in the future? Is the state of Maine planning to build more and grow in industry? Is the state going to allow other companies to relocate there (big and small)? Where (if anyplace) does the state plan to build and grow, is it just the major cities like Portland, Augusta, Bangor or elsewhere too? What does the state forecast for our children and their career status, will they succeed in Maine because of growth or will they need to move or simply go into the medical or teaching field if they want to remain in Maine? What are the potential insights for 5 yrs. from now or 10, 20 years from now? I know no one can predict the future, however, each state, county or community does prepare for the future and usually does put out some sort of prospectus. I can't imagine that the state isn't planning for the future (or from the way some people have made it sound, worried about the future).

Again, I ask these questions because I have children and my concern isn't for just NOW, it's for the rest of my life as well as theirs, should they want to remain whereever I land them. In addition, please keep in mind, I'm not asking whether you are going to build up so much that you become another NY/NJ, I hope for your sake that never happens. However, people have made it sound like there is nothing there but some schools, hospitals and homes.

Thank you all for your responses!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 05:06 PM

76 posts, read 295,578 times
Default Thoughts on Maine

Hi Pixieshmoo,
Generally speaking, the further north you go, the worse the schools are as far as $ per student, equipment and quality of facilities.
If you stay near Portland and south, the schools are pretty good. The best schools are in the portland suburbs: Falmouth, Yarmouth, Cumberland, etc...
I live in Yarmouth, but because we are pretty conservative ( a minority here) we send our kids to private Christian school.
Maine is not business friendly. they are quite reluctant to allow development, so much so that the economy is struggling. To remedy this, they keep raising our taxes while most people need to work two, sometimes three jobs, just to make ends meet.
We are actually considering moving because there is no way our 4 boys will be able to stay in Maine and go to college and find a job that will provide enough income to live here. The colleges here are average and the jobs are scarce.
It is true that it is mostly hospitals, schools and lawyers up here. I was just driving around with my friend past all of these gorgeous houses in Cape Elizabeth (southern coast) and asked her: "what do these people do for work?" It is amazing that they can live in this state and make that much $!
they are all docs and lawyers. Too bad the state does not offer more opportunities. Oh well. That is my view of things here. By the way, I am from NY, so I know what it is like to want to leave the big city, but I would think twice before deciding on Maine. It is pretty, but the economy and job market and taxes are really hurting the state.

Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 PM

Thank you Adrienne1...although there have been many great posts and opinions, I feel that your opinion is one of the most direct I've received. Although I'd love to hear that it's the "perfect" place and I should move there immediately, you're also not degrading the place, you're just being blunt. So thank you.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, what do you or your husband do for a living? I'm a realtor, although I can do that anywhere, if the market in Maine isn't great, then I guess I wouldn't have much of a job. My husband's a contractor and sometimes slow on work in the winter, I could only imagine how "workless" he'd be up there. It's funny you're in Yarmouth because Falmouth, Yarmouth, N. Yarmouth, Gorham and Brunswick is where we were interested in.

Thanks again.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:18 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrienne1 View Post
Maine is not business friendly. they are quite reluctant to allow development, so much so that the economy is struggling.
My feelings are torn in that regard.

On the one hand, one of the things that greatly appeals to me about Maine is the unspoiled nature of it. The lack of constant strip malls, asphalt, concrete, and urban sprawl. That kind of "development" has spoiled western Washington (where I now live) almost beyond saving. A real shame, too, but western Washington has some of the prettiest country I've ever seen.

On the other hand, people do need to make a living. You can't eat the trees.

But I am a bit disturbed that the solution so many communities seek is moving in industry. People have been able to survive on local means for thousands of years. Why has our society suddenly developed into a mindset that we all need a boss to come in and save us? And I'm not pointing fingers. I'm as guilty of that as anyone.

Is there no way that Maine can preserve its natural resources and open country while still allowing the populace a living?

Other than everyone writing best-selling horror novels, I'm hard-pressed to think of any Mainers who have managed to do so.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 AM

76 posts, read 295,578 times
HI Mark S.
Maine could improve its economy via small businesses, and other venues other than industry or "big bosses" by lowering its tax burden on small businesses and the "mom and pop" shops. I don't think there needs to be big, polluting industry here, just a business friendly environment would do wonders.
This state is run so backwards it is ridiculous. The voters pass every bond issue that comes down the pike, the gov't never decreases its spending while it keeps laying more and more of the tax burden on its citizens.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 PM

26 posts, read 180,922 times
Default regarding moving to maine

I live in the central part of the state...and the schools here are excellent. I can't complain that houses cost too much, or that taxes are too high, as everything in that regard ...is cheaper here than where i was living...including my car insurance. I am fortunate that my 3br residence is well insulated etc..as the fuel costs have indeed been astronomical in the wake of the hurricane damage in the south, and I still managed to squeak by on under 1k for the year.
No state is run perfectly, there are things that could be done better, and things that thankfully are not worse. As for *industrializing* the state...given the reasons people come here' (peace, quiet, natural beauty, pristine views, etc) we want to keep it that way. Some of the local* colleges are ranked among the very top nationally, which would seem at odds with the references to the educational quality as being only *ok*.
I think Maine is indeed a state where you either love it and want to stay....have always lived here and wouldnt go anywhere else.......or you arent happy here, and choose to leave. We aren't the worst state, and to some, we aren't the best state...but to many..we are exactly what they were looking for You can come, and stay.....hopefully for a long time.....lol......or decide you want to go elsewhere; along the way you will make friends who will never forget you and will welcome you whenever you come back.

Old 08-17-2006, 11:43 PM

I understand what everyone's saying about it "could be worse" and so on. However, I believe someone else posed this same question: Everyone is emphasizing that employment is mainly in the medical, law or teaching field...okay fine. Everyone's saying it's rather expensive to live there. Then people proceed to say that Maine is against large development or does not want to be "industrialized" and there are lack of jobs. So, again, I repeat the same question as whomever asked it before me: What do you people do for a living up there? Is it possible that everyone in Maine is a doctor/nurse, lawyer or teacher? Come on, there's got to be something else, or the whole d*mn state would be empty.

I'm not trying to be rude, however, I'm just not following what people are saying.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 45,696 times
No need to get all huffy about it Pixie. Here, check this out..

I believe what everyone in here is trying to tell you is that doctors, lawyers, nurses and teachers are the most "In Demand" jobs in Maine, not that they are the ONLY jobs there. Of course there are other jobs! Grocery stores, banks, city workers, phone company, local stores, mom & pops, etc.. the problem seems that these jobs are not very in demand right now and finding a decently paying job in those areas is almost impossible.

I dont know what you or your husband do for a living. But I think the main point people are trying to make is "Have a job lined up before you come". It would be a real sad affair to move up there thinking the job market was wide open, only to find out once you got there that your chosen field was pretty much closed to you due to lack of employment positions.

I truely wish you luck in that part of your research. Perhaps you will get lucky and find a great job there and be completely happy with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine