Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 09:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine moved to Maine a few years ago from New Jersey. She loves it and has been encouraging us to move there. We started out joking about it, however, my husband and I have become very serious about moving. We have children and in a couple of years our oldest will be entering high school. Being a lifelong "Jerseyan" myself and noticing the changes, I DO NOT want my kids growing up around here. I've done plenty of research about Maine but have yet to get an actual person's opinion, other than my friend. I think Bangor might be too far, we were thinking Greater Portland area (falmouth, windham) but I wouldn't completely disregard the Bangor area or somewhere in between. Any suggestions/opinions???? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 PM

55 posts, read 412,162 times
The greater Portland area is very nice, lots to offer re employment and general living. The better, larger schools are in that area. Falmouth is pricey by Maine standard but probably affordable by out-of-state comparisons. Windham is a nice area as well, but there is lots of summer traffic to fight on secondary roadways due to number of lakes in the area. Portland has the airport, Bangor has an airport as well. Other than those two you will travel to fly any where. Portland has wonderful museums and restaurants and the SeaDogs are the Red Sox's up and comers! The University of Southern Maine and UNE, the only medical school I am aware of in Maine. Bowdoin College is about 25 minutes from Portland, Colby College about l.5 hours and Bates, just 25 minutes as well. Maine is a great place to raise children! Good luck!

Old 02-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information...much appreciated.
Ps. but sorry...Yankees still rule!

Old 02-27-2006, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 46,190 times
Default I lived in NY, Moved to Midcoast a few years ago

I did what I had to do to move to Maine, saved a little, gave up high paying job. Maine does not have alot of great jobs, but if you can, it is worth moving here, even for half the pay. The taxes are high (like NY), and the wages low, but it is worth it, I live 1 block from the ocean for less than 600 a month total expenses, and I walk to work. No crime, no pollution, nice people, quiet, beautiful every place you go. If you move to the coast, winter is not that bad either.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 114,771 times
If you're looking for excellent schools, distance from Portland, wonderful people and not a lot of industry and corporations, I'd suggest something in the Gorham area. Gorham is a virtually crime free suburban area. It's about 30 minutes from Portland and 20 from Windham. The schools are absolutely fabulous, the teachers are terrific and the school has proven itself time and time agian with above average national test scores. Being from Gorham, I'm obviously biassed toward it, but I'm a third generation Gorhamite, and I know first hand that if you're looking for a great community for your kids, this is the place.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:57 PM

Default Moving to Gorham?

I greatly appreciate the info. However, I'm curious, what hospitals and colleges are in or near Gorham. Also, how far is it from an airport? Those are the reasons we were looking closer to Portland but I'm quite sure a half hour drive in Maine is a lot different than a half hour drive in Jersey. Also, what other towns are near Gorham...and what can be told of Falmouth and Brunswick (or any other good towns that I don't know of)? As you can see I haven't narrowed my possibilites. Is work really that hard to find in Maine? Thx everyone!

Old 03-04-2006, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 46,016 times
Default Also interested...

Thanks for the info. We're also interested in moving to Maine- maybe Camden area? Looking for a slower pace of growth than CT, good place to raise kids, someplace artsy and younger- any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 03-04-2006, 07:10 PM

Default More questions

I hope that I am not being a nuisance, however, I have another question...In this forum, as well as some other places, I have heard that "Maine in general is an expensive place to live". What I am wondering is, what is this in comparison to? I live in New Jersey and cannot imagine that other than summer homes, Maine is more expensive than NJ. I actually find it nearly impossible to believe. In addition, I thought it was inexpensive compared to even some other New England states.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 114,771 times
As for colleges, The University Of Southern Maine is in the middle of town, and St. Joseph's College as well as Southern Maine Community College are just a town away. Maine Medical Center is two towns over in Portland. The airport is also in Portland, and isn't a far drive at all, and it's a little, clean airport, I've flown in and out of it many times. Our surrounding towns are Buxton, Westbrook, Scarborough, Windham, and Standish. Buxton and Standish are small rural towns, Windham is more of a suburban town, and Scarborough and Westbrook are small cities. Falmouth is a very nice town, a bit on the expensive side though, and is inhabited by mainly upper middle class to lower upper class families. I don't really know much about Brunswick. Work isn't that hard to find, however, a college education is probably mandatory, or at least a great deal of work experience is needed to be placed in a high paying job. Hopefully I've been of some help, feel free to post any more questions.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:26 PM

Okay, SMSailor, you asked for it! Here come some more questions. First, Gorham sounds very nice, I've been looking up as much as I can about it since, I think it may be a keeper for us. My friend who lives there agrees with you...She and I have discussed her opinion of several towns there too, however, she is not a true "Mainer" which is why I've come here.

In any case, these are the towns I've had interest(s) in from what I've seen/heard. In no favorite order (just alphabetically): Brunswick, Falmouth, Fairfield, Gorham, North Yarmouth, Oakland, Old Town, Scarborough, South Portland, Westbrook, Waterville, Yarmouth. I know it's a lot, but I want to be sure...so what would you say about any or all of these? Also, what the heck is Falmouth Foreside?

My goal is my children, their education and safety...I know crime and drugs are everywhere, but I live not far from Newark, NJ so drugs, gangs, violence is almost in their faces. In addition...jobs of course, we don't need to live in a "city" and a commute there isn't like a commute here, but we don't want to be in the boondocks either. I'm very impressed that there are so many college choice in Maine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine