Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 04:29 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSailorNeptune View Post
I'm a little concerned about one of the above replies... the one regarding teen pregnancy, drugs, violence, etc. I am 18 years old and not from an extremely wealthy family. I've grown up my whole life in Gorham, and not once have I, nor have any of my friends, done drugs, drank, or gotten ourselves into any trouble with the law. I think that there is plenty to do, my friends and I go to the movies, bowling, camping, hiking, biking, out to eat, the mall, arcades, and all the other things normal teens do. My school has a population of about 800 students, and of that 800 this year about 3 were pregnant. I think the drug + pregnancy problem (found mainly in the bad parts of portland/westbrook) are more of a parenting issue than a lack of things to do issue. I wouldn't let these factors discourage any decision to live here.
You are correct it's definitely a parenting issue. If you look up stats around the country Maine's rate of drugs, pregnancy is right in there with a lot of of other communities. Definitely not a reason to single out an entire state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM

7 posts, read 20,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post
I'm a teacher living in Maryland who's been vacationing in Maine for 30 years, mostly on Mt. Desert Island. We're thinking of retiring to the area but can't afford the kind of house we want on the island itself. We saw a property we like in Sullivan, I guess about 30-60 minutes north of Ellsworth. Can anyone tell us anything about Sullivan?
Where do you teach in Maryland? I teach in Salisbury, but have also taught in La Plata and Upper Marlboro. My husband and I are planning to build on our lot in Ellsworth. Sullivan is more rural but pretty; however, the coastal property is getting more expensive. Good luck to you.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:14 AM

3 posts, read 9,440 times
Default Moving to Maine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
A friend of mine moved to Maine a few years ago from New Jersey. She loves it and has been encouraging us to move there. We started out joking about it, however, my husband and I have become very serious about moving. We have children and in a couple of years our oldest will be entering high school. Being a lifelong "Jerseyan" myself and noticing the changes, I DO NOT want my kids growing up around here. I've done plenty of research about Maine but have yet to get an actual person's opinion, other than my friend. I think Bangor might be too far, we were thinking Greater Portland area (falmouth, windham) but I wouldn't completely disregard the Bangor area or somewhere in between. Any suggestions/opinions???? Thanks.
The further north you go the freindlier the people.We are lucky to be in a good area with good neighbors in Poland. Bangor is rumored to be the fastest growing area of Maine at this point with an expanding economy.Real estate is more reasonable the further north you go. Keep in mind though...Maine is one of the highest taxed states in the NorthEast for the income. Maine is also a very liberal state, so if you are you will fit right in, if not its an uphill battle! I am not sure about all schools, but in Poland and Oxford areas Gay and Lesbianism are unfortunetly popular with gay straight alliances, another uphill battle.
Maine is a nice state to live in , but politics here can be maddening!!
Tony

Old 05-08-2007, 07:16 AM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy plants View Post
...Maine is one of the highest taxed states in the Northeast for the income.
Except for the facts that our tax brackets are lower.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:47 PM

12 posts, read 44,039 times
Hello,

Which towns in Maine have the best libraries?

Thank you,
GB

Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,936,272 times
The town that has the highest use of its library is Blue Hill.

About twenty years ago there was a spate of library building in the state of Maine. A lot of relatively small towns built new or radically expanded old libraries. I lived in Cumberland at the time, and the library expansion cost the town several million dollars and when it was completed there were no more books than originally, since there had been no budget for adding volumes.

In this day of the Internet, all libraries are on line (or most of them), so pretty much anything that one needs from the library system will be available on interlibrary loan if it doesn't exist in-house.

Some of the libraries in very small towns are open only on certain days.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 44,039 times
Thanks, Acadianlion. I'll look into it and check out affordability of Blue Hill!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM

581 posts, read 714,315 times
Bangor's Library is well-established and has a recent new addition.

www.bpl.lib.me.us

Old 05-16-2007, 10:39 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,658,032 times
Default sound just like where I want to land!

I am reading AND keeping notes!

That info about the "treegrowth" tax rate is quite helpful! I will be looking for a camp that I can make into a full-time home when I get there... having water and with access to power and DSL will be necessary too, unfortunately.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:36 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I am reading AND keeping notes!

That info about the "treegrowth" tax rate is quite helpful! I will be looking for a camp that I can make into a full-time home when I get there... having water and with access to power and DSL will be necessary too, unfortunately.
I do not follow why that is 'unfortunate'???

I bought 'treegrowth' land that is riverfrontage and has paved road / power / phone / DSL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine