Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 04:32 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the boards.. my vote as always is Eastport!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
I am 31 years old and I looking for something new. I from Pittsburgh, Pa . I cant stand the city life anymore. I have been working for the last 9 years as an Assitant Manager for a beauty supply house. I currently have my Pa beauty liscence. I have will to learn and perfect my hair cutting. Looking for peace and quite, new people & new life. I am looking for a younger place and a place not over popullated.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Thanks for the information...much appreciated.
Ps. but sorry...Yankees still rule!

THAT'S JUST CRAZYTALK. Whatevah you do, keep this tidbit to yerself once you gets heah. Kay?

Seriously, I moved here with my hubs, 2 kids and the animals 2 years ago and love it! Yes, the economy is more sparse, but the folks are nicer!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlie1977 View Post
I am 31 years old and I looking for something new. I from Pittsburgh, Pa . I cant stand the city life anymore. I have been working for the last 9 years as an Assitant Manager for a beauty supply house. I currently have my Pa beauty liscence. I have will to learn and perfect my hair cutting. Looking for peace and quite, new people & new life. I am looking for a younger place and a place not over popullated.
Welcome

Old 11-26-2008, 03:11 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
^Carlie1977, I would suggest creating a new thread for yourself to attract more help specific to your situation.

If you're looking for someplace not over populated, all of Maine fits that bill. However, I'd be a little more specific about what you want (if you can). While no place in Maine would be considered overpopulated, the degree of population can vary to a pretty large degree. For example, areas up in the Northern part of the state are devoid of any sort of human inhabitation for miles and miles; you could live a life in near complete solitude if you desired (and I don't get the impression you do). On the other hand, Portland, Maine's biggest city is still only about 1/6 the size of Pitt. Even though it's a called a city, it feels more like a big town than a really urban area.

The key word I'm seeing in your post is "younger." Maine is not a young state. In fact, it has one of the highest elderly populations in the country (up there with Florida and Arizona). Choosing an area with a younger population really limits the options in Maine. You'll be looking at the areas around mostly the biggest cities in the state (which, again, are still VERY small). I would start by suggesting the Portland and Bangor areas. These areas are essentially the economic and cultural centers of the state. Both towns have thriving downtown areas, suburban retail areas, colleges and other institutions that make them the most attractive places in the state for the younger crowd.

Portland has a population of 63,000. It has a nice little, but vibrant downtown area with shops, offices, restaurants, etc. It's the epicenter of Maine's culture, and economy. That being said, it's still very small. You can live within 10 minutes of downtown and be in a pretty rural area (go 20 minutes out and you can be in the boonies). The area is naturally beautiful... the coastline is gorgeous here and the access to the outdoors provides unlimited options for the nature lovers. The people in Portland (and Maine in general) are very friendly. If you're looking to work for, or establish your own hair salon, Portland and the surrounding communities of South Portland, Scarborough, Cape Elizabeth, Westbrook, and Falmouth will provide you with the best opportunities (Saco/Biddeford a little further south would provide some too). If you feel the need to head to the city for a day or two, you can jump on the Amtrak Downeaster and be in Boston in about 2.5-3 hours.

If you want a bit more seclusion and change, Bangor provides another decent opportunity. It's about 2 hours north of Portland and about 1/2 the size (pop 33,000). The city, like Portland, has a vibrant downtown area and decent suburban store selections nearby. The people here are friendly, and you could easily find someplace really quiet to live about 10 minutes from the center of Bangor. The job options would be a bit more limited than in Portland, but with a little effort, you may be able to find something. The area around Bangor offers some great natural beauty. While not right on the coast, you can easily drive to places like Bar Harbor, Ellsworth, Deere Isle, etc. You're also not far from the mountains and all they have to offer.

Another place in New England that may have what you're looking for is Burlington VT. Post in the Vermont forum for more info, but it's a nice town as well.

Obviously, I'd suggest visiting before making a decision, but if a change and slower pace of life is what you're into, you can probably find it in Maine. This info is just the tip of the iceberg, so I'd start a new thread and see what info turns up. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 AM

25 posts, read 50,772 times
Default Love Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbic View Post
You are absolutely right. I was born in Maine, raised and educated there, went to college there, got married, worked, and had our kids there, raised both of them through high school there---you get the idea. Well, to cut to the chase, after a lifetime in Maine (first Aroostook County and then Hancock County), my husband, nearly-grown kids and I are now in...Texas. We moved this past February. It was, and I don't say this lightly, one of the hardest decisions we have ever made.
Heck, I love Texas, though now that Molly Ivins is dead it's a little less funny. My mom lived in Kerrville for the last 12 years of her life. She loved it and my sister and I, both enthusiastic cyclists, loved visiting her there.
Maine is getting no easier this year. I'm a certified teacher with 12 years experience who took some time off from the classroom when my marriage became unmanagable. Now, the only job I can find within 40 miles is as an ed tech, making $7,000 per year. I'm about to apply for food stamps. It's demoralizing in the extreme and if my ex-husband weren't taking me back to court (another tragic aspect of Maine is its rural family court system, misogynistic, patriarchal, ossified in the 19th century--no one should move here with anything less than a perfect spouse) I would be spending every extra minute looking for work in other, warmer, more economically viable parts of the country. Or maybe other countries.

I've really had it. Congratulations for getting out when you could.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leolabeth View Post
Heck, I love Texas, though now that Molly Ivins is dead it's a little less funny. My mom lived in Kerrville for the last 12 years of her life. She loved it and my sister and I, both enthusiastic cyclists, loved visiting her there.
Maine is getting no easier this year. I'm a certified teacher with 12 years experience who took some time off from the classroom when my marriage became unmanagable. Now, the only job I can find within 40 miles is as an ed tech, making $7,000 per year. I'm about to apply for food stamps. It's demoralizing in the extreme and if my ex-husband weren't taking me back to court (another tragic aspect of Maine is its rural family court system, misogynistic, patriarchal, ossified in the 19th century--no one should move here with anything less than a perfect spouse) I would be spending every extra minute looking for work in other, warmer, more economically viable parts of the country. Or maybe other countries.

In July you said that you had 11 years experience, and you say that you haven't been able to find a teaching job. I know that my math is kind of bad, maybe you could teach me how 11 + 0 = 12?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:31 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,423,512 times
New math

Old 11-30-2008, 03:48 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,453,468 times
Sure sounds like you're having a tough time of it Leolabeth. I'm sure if Maine isn't your home state and you're enduring the fall out of a divorce with a new baby, things are looking pretty bleak.

I hope improvement comes quickly for you and your child. I'm sure it's difficult to maintain a sunny disposition through repeated court dates.

Too bad you couldn't go to Tx where your mom is. Or has she left there? Seems like sunny and warm would be a good idea for you. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolabeth View Post

Old 12-02-2008, 06:21 AM

26 posts, read 57,496 times
In my humble opinion, it is not so much where you choose to live but how you go about it. I prefer neighbors, not locks. I prefer diversity, not sameness. The challenges of living in Maine are somewhat unique however, life has always been a meandering path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine