Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 01:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,690,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
thats not so bad .besides its not your falt if it wont hold paint.
id try to put some oil base stane on and let it soake in and then paint
I have a bunch of 40 grit sanding discs coming and some good oil primer to put on it. Trouble is I did the exact same spots last fall and you can see it didn't stick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
What a cute barn!
Thanks.... there is a photo of the front of it in the off topic thread.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM

1,670 posts, read 4,374,410 times
I just love it when the city idiots move to the country but don't want to deal with the country....here's a true Boulder County goose hunting story:

some guys were hunting out of a ditch bordering a big corn field near Niwot, which is in between Boulder and Longmont (where I live). Folks have hunted this property for years, meanwhile "progress" moves in and there's all these trophy homes going up in the area as the farmers sell out to the developers

Anyway, these guys got birds coming in, wings locked, and pop the lid and start shooting, dropping 4 or 5 birds I think. Not 2 minutes later out comes 'Miss Manners', in her bathrobe, marching along the ditch from her house toward their blind, with a purpose and a head full of steam. She starts hollering about what the heck are they doing and blah blah blah. They call the Sheriff, a deputy shows up and promptly put her in her place, telling her that hunting is perfectly legal and it's an arrangement between the landowner and the hunters. She gets all pissy and marches off, clearly disappointed. They never see her again.

I really hate it when clueless city slickers with more money than common sense move into an area and try to start changing everything to their liking.

Ranger, does your 'Yorker 'neighbor' happen to drive a Hummer....??

Old 05-16-2008, 01:27 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,207,855 times
nope he drives a lexus she drives a land cruzer.he's some retired big wig .and he got bestid by a beaver.thats the best part a 15 lb rodent won the day now he has to deal with me and lurc.see what you get for not knowing your boundrys.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:32 PM

1,670 posts, read 4,374,410 times
Quote:
nope he drives a lexus she drives a land cruzer.he's some retired big wig .and he got bestid by a beaver.thats the best part a 15 lb rodent won the day now he has to deal with me and lurc.see what you get for not knowing your boundrys.
Too funny...I love it! Give me his address and I'll ship him a box of authentic Colorado Prairie Dawgs...

Old 05-16-2008, 03:02 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,207,855 times
i cant waite for my bad neighbor to sell maybe he will buy the house across from maineah.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 PM

34 posts, read 104,533 times
Moisture passing from the inside trying to get out is most likely your paint problem - even oil based won't stay on. A couple of solutions would to back prime the siding (not practical once installed!), install a vapor barrier (kind of ugly on the inside of a barn), or ventilate.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod67 View Post
Moisture passing from the inside trying to get out is most likely your paint problem - even oil based won't stay on. A couple of solutions would to back prime the siding (not practical once installed!), install a vapor barrier (kind of ugly on the inside of a barn), or ventilate.
You're dead on according to the Western Red Cedar Siding Association!. I may have to tear it all off. One side a year for the next four years! The barn has soffit vents and a ridge vent. I leave the doors open as much as possible but still the clapboards get soaking wet. I may call the vinyl siding people shortly if I can't find a solution! Thanks for your assessment!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
i cant waite for my bad neighbor to sell maybe he will buy the house across from maineah.
Not a problem....I've been dealing with flatlanders for years!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:44 PM

34 posts, read 104,533 times
There are several clapboard ventilation products on the market that MIGHT work. Here's one that I found with a quick internet search - The WedgeVentâ„¢ Solution

Some other company years ago sold plastic plugs to be used after drilling a series of 1/4" holes at a 45 degree angle along the base of the clapboards in rows about 3 feet apart.

I haven't tried either system so I can't say how good they work but I think I'd give something a try before pulling off the siding.

Rod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine