Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,696,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
No it was over within a couple of hours or less. It isnt a biggie; as long as there aren't stray bullets heading my way.....but there is a lot of forest between the sounds and where I am.

At first I thought it was turkey season, but the shots were to many and too close together to be hunters.

I do understand that hunting and guns are part of the local culture, and I guess if people have them, it is better that they are proficient in their use.
It is just alien to me.
After a while elston you'll be able to tell the difference between the crack of a rifle from the pop of a shotgun, the snap of a .22 from the roar of a Weatherby magnum, the bark of a 9mm pistol, and the ka-bang of a black powder musket.They are all distinct sounds and if you're around them enough you really can discern the differences. You may even like shooting. It's fun to just hit cans or targets. 99.9% of shooting is not at animals or people! Every person I have ever introduced to shooting, many of whom claimed they hated guns, were pleasantly surprised at just how benign guns actually are. By the end of a couple of hours of easy handling techniques they may not have fallen in love with guns though they did think of them differently and realized there IS an element of fun involved with the use of something which in the wrong hands or mishandled can kill or mame easily......like a hockey stick..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 03:27 AM

48,192 posts, read 22,033,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
After a while elston you'll be able to tell the difference between the crack of a rifle from the pop of a shotgun, the snap of a .22 from the roar of a Weatherby magnum, the bark of a 9mm pistol, and the ka-bang of a black powder musket.They are all distinct sounds and if you're around them enough you really can discern the differences. You may even like shooting. It's fun to just hit cans or targets. 99.9% of shooting is not at animals or people! Every person I have ever introduced to shooting, many of whom claimed they hated guns, were pleasantly surprised at just how benign guns actually are. By the end of a couple of hours of easy handling techniques they may not have fallen in love with guns though they did think of them differently and realized there IS an element of fun involved with the use of something which in the wrong hands or mishandled can kill or mame easily......like a hockey stick..
Ya know Maineah......somehow I don't think so. Let me tell you a story...when I was a kid growing up in a small New England town...hanging out with the kids....one of our pass times was to sit at the roadside and listen for cars coming....and to try to guess the make of the approaching car by the sound of the engine...some of the kids got pretty good at it....either they really could hear the different sounds of the engine....or they got to recognize the individual mufflers and squeek and rattle sounds of the limited inventory of cars in our small town back then in the late 1940's...anyway some of the kids really could identify the make of an unseen approaching car....by sound of the engine. I sat and played that game for many a long summer afternoon.....I never could hear any difference from Mr. Levy's restored and jazzed up Ford with the rumble seat, to the stuedabaker coup that the new guy drove or Buick owned by Punker Ballou.

But I could identify all the wild flowers growing along the dusty road to Herring Pond, or along the banks of Mill Pond...and I knew when and where the raspberries were and when the bank swallows had hatched their babies, and when the frost had nipped the horse chestnut tree and the prickly pods had burst open and dropped their mahogany colored treasures.

I think my story says that we learn to discern the things that matter to us. Somehow I don't think that at my age I am going to learn the various sounds of gunfire.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,585,280 times
I do believe many newcomers would be surprised to know that many of their neighbors may be packing. I know a lot of women friends who carry a .45 or .380, just because of the fact they can!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,725,854 times
I think it is absolutley the responsibility of the buyers to investigate where they are moving and what they are getting themselves into. If I am not a gun person, and the shooting of a gun near my home was going to upset me, then I would not be looking at property where this could happen. I beleive there are still urban areas of Maine where the discharging of a firearm is against city ordinances.

The reality is Maineah, even if you did not use firearms, who's to say you would not sell your home to someone who did.

Buyers and people moving into the area have choices......

Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Ya know Maineah......somehow I don't think so. Let me tell you a story...when I was a kid growing up in a small New England town...hanging out with the kids....one of our pass times was to sit at the roadside and listen for cars coming....and to try to guess the make of the approaching car by the sound of the engine...some of the kids got pretty good at it....either they really could hear the different sounds of the engine....or they got to recognize the individual mufflers and squeek and rattle sounds of the limited inventory of cars in our small town back then in the late 1940's...anyway some of the kids really could identify the make of an unseen approaching car....by sound of the engine. I sat and played that game for many a long summer afternoon.....I never could hear any difference from Mr. Levy's restored and jazzed up Ford with the rumble seat, to the stuedabaker coup that the new guy drove or Buick owned by Punker Ballou.

But I could identify all the wild flowers growing along the dusty road to Herring Pond, or along the banks of Mill Pond...and I knew when and where the raspberries were and when the bank swallows had hatched their babies, and when the frost had nipped the horse chestnut tree and the prickly pods had burst open and dropped their mahogany colored treasures.

I think my story says that we learn to discern the things that matter to us. Somehow I don't think that at my age I am going to learn the various sounds of gunfire.
Well put and prosaic too I might add! I would have been the kid who could identify the car by it's sound. We used to do the same thing sitting on a loading platform down town in Yarmouth where I grew up.
We got so we could identify cars at night by their headlight configurations. It was something to do while we watched the traffic pass. We got pretty good at it. We always knew when the police were coming long before they got there. On the other hand ,while I enjoy flowers, I don't know the names of many of them.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
I do believe many newcomers would be surprised to know that many of their neighbors may be packing. I know a lot of women friends who carry a .45 or .380, just because of the fact they can!
We just got back from Vermont on Sunday after spending a few days over there. They have the most liberal concealed carry laws in the country. No permit necessary....period. Yet when I asked someone about it he said he knows of no one who carries a gun.My daughter told me that the guy she works for carries a small handgun in an ankle holster but he owns a business so it is kind of expected of him. I was surprised that not too many people carry over there.Or if they do they don't tell people.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM

48,192 posts, read 22,033,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We just got back from Vermont on Sunday after spending a few days over there. They have the most liberal concealed carry laws in the country. No permit necessary....period. Yet when I asked someone about it he said he knows of no one who carries a gun.My daughter told me that the guy she works for carries a small handgun in an ankle holster but he owns a business so it is kind of expected of him. I was surprised that not too many people carry over there.Or if they do they don't tell people.
Gives new meaning to the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I think it is absolutley the responsibility of the buyers to investigate where they are moving and what they are getting themselves into. If I am not a gun person, and the shooting of a gun near my home was going to upset me, then I would not be looking at property where this could happen. I beleive there are still urban areas of Maine where the discharging of a firearm is against city ordinances.

The reality is Maineah, even if you did not use firearms, who's to say you would not sell your home to someone who did.

Buyers and people moving into the area have choices......
We try very hard to be considerate of others. Even though my neighbors are 500-600 yards from my driveway and the nearest one the other direction is over 1000 yards we don't start mowing or cutting wood until afternoon on any day. You have to mow and cut wood but I know what it's like to listen to an obsessed neighbor who feels the need to cut wood starting at 7:00 AM every day and I just won't do it.
My father in law is one of these "get 'er done" types that thinks it's ok to run a tractor or chainsaw across the street from someone's house at 7:00 in the morning. He just has no consideration for others.

You want obnoxious, when we were growing up we had a rock band in our cellar. We practiced every Friday ,Saturday and Sunday. Even with sound proofing on the inside walls the neighbors would occasionally call the cops. Years later when I was at the dermatologist's office the receptionist recognized my name and told me she used to be one of my neighbors when we were practicing with the band. I was waiting for her to tell me we kept her from sleeping for three years or something like that. To the contrary she said she used to invite her friends over for sleep overs so they could listen to us practice. She said she had been too shy to come over. She also convinced her parents we were good and kept them from calling the cops on the nights when we got loud. You never know...one mans noise is another mans music!!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:09 PM

71 posts, read 69,657 times
Thumbs up Neighbors

I've been lurking in the Maine and New Hampshire forums for better than a year and this is my first post in either forum.

After reading this thread... All I can say to you "Maineah" is that when I come to Maine (from MA) looking for my retirement home I hope I live by a neighbor with your consideration and interests.

Last edited by NEBeachcomber; 05-13-2008 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 03:28 PM

8 posts, read 24,917 times
Caveat Emptor for the buyers...otherwise, the heck with 'em.

Maineah, I'd love to have you for a neighbor if I ever move to Maine.

What part of "S Coastal Maine" are you in, out of curiosity? Knox County by chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine