Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 03:45 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,212 times

Advertisements

To Mainers, what makes a neighbor a "good" neighbor?

A lot of posters refer to the "live and let live" attitude in Maine and that when you need them in a pinch, like after a storm, Mainers can count on one another for help.

To me, aside from live and let live, a good neighbor:

1- Knows where the correct property lines are and doesn't finagle them. But, he feels comfortable when coming to my house or onto my property and doesn't consider it a crime or intrusion when I come onto his property for normal reasons.

2 - Doesn't gossip or lie about me to other neighbors and poison my pond, especially if I am new and haven't had sufficient time to show the true quality of my character, good, bad or otherwise.

3 - Is cordial and will say hello or wave in passing but circumspect enough to stay out of my business and not tell me what to do, or not do, on my own property (like the kind of neighbor who mows their lawn every week and gripes if you just mow yours once or twice a month).

So, what constitutes being a good neighbor in your neck of the woods in Maine and to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 07:24 PM

37,445 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I think that you list about covers it.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:13 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
I'm with Forest... not a native Mainer, but a recent transplant and that is the kind of neighbor I try to be, and that I have around me.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:43 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
To Mainers, what makes a neighbor a "good" neighbor?

A lot of posters refer to the "live and let live" attitude in Maine and that when you need them in a pinch, like after a storm, Mainers can count on one another for help.

To me, aside from live and let live, a good neighbor:

1- Knows where the correct property lines are and doesn't finagle them. But, he feels comfortable when coming to my house or onto my property and doesn't consider it a crime or intrusion when I come onto his property for normal reasons.

2 - Doesn't gossip or lie about me to other neighbors and poison my pond, especially if I am new and haven't had sufficient time to show the true quality of my character, good, bad or otherwise.

3 - Is cordial and will say hello or wave in passing but circumspect enough to stay out of my business and not tell me what to do, or not do, on my own property (like the kind of neighbor who mows their lawn every week and gripes if you just mow yours once or twice a month).

So, what constitutes being a good neighbor in your neck of the woods in Maine and to you?
1 My neighbors and I don't worry about the propoerty lines. We know we own just what the deed says andnot a bit more or less. Sometimes they mow my side of the line and sometimes I mow on theirs. No problems.

2 People will gossip especially in a small town. I have been known to start one on myself just to see how far it wuld go (wound up making 25% instead of the 10% I said). Nothing is better than a good story, true or otherwise. A good neighbor will back you up if it gets too intense.

3 Yup, we all wave, even if we can't remember the new neighbors name. But we will offer advice, especially if it will cost next door time and/or money. We won't gripe too much if you don't mow your lawn and the neighborhood starts to look bad. But we'll most likely offer to help you with it. You buy the gas though!

And I am a native Mainer , if it matters

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 08-15-2010 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: Way too early for me I guess.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM

263 posts, read 625,961 times
poisoning your pond? a bit extreme no? I got Downeast ( Lubeck) every Year, super nice people, always helpfull. Hang out at Annabels have a great time with the locals, never felt otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: