Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times

Advertisements

So what are your favorite places to go out to eat? I'm a fan of the prime rib at Maxwell's in Bath, and the breakfasts at the A1 Diner in Gardiner have never failed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:55 AM

48,113 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I have always looked forward to breakfast or lunch at the Maine Diner in Wells; I don't know if that proves I am "from away" or not, but I like it, and want to take my DP there when we come to Maine. The pies oh my! (He isnt too fond of pie....oh well! maybe it is "all about me"

There is also a fry shack and lobster roll place there on Rt 1 near the corner in Wells where you turn to go up to Sanford....I used to take my mom and dad there for a treat from their assisted living home in Biddeford. My Mom would brag to all the nurses and other residents about the "chunks of lobster" and have to have one to take home for her supper! I wish I could buy her a dozen this new years day! Oh how I miss them....I guess thats part of the new year....remembering the past.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Okay, I know this is really bad, but we love Uno's. Very un-Maineiac of us but yummmm.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Been a few years sens I was down there, but I used to love the atmosphere and food at "The Old Mill Pub" in Skowhegan. Also worth of a meal in Skowhegan is Kens Family restaurant on the other end of town. When they were in the bowling alley they had some specials that I couldn't finish for under $8 and they were fantastic.

In St Agatha there is the Lakeview that has some excellent food. I could drive you to MANY great little places to eat from one end of the State to the other, but I don't remember the names of them. After working all over the state for many years, I think I have eaten in every Mom & Pop place in the State. After about a week out of town you cannot take fast food anymore and you go to the small places and end up getting some great food for better prices usually. Only had one place try to knock me off with a bad meal, but they were out of business the next time I went through that area.

There was a little diner place in Waterville that was downtown and tucked into the lower floor of what looked like an apartment building, BEST breakfast I have had anyplace in the US! I left there stuffed to the gills and a doggy bag big enough for lunch as well for just over $5. The food was perfect and the service was second to none. I had my doubts walking into the place, but am SO glad I stayed and tried it. I figured the simple fact that every table was full and there was only one seat left in the whole place was a very good sign.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Galley Family Restaurant in Bath is very good. The portions were HUGE, the desserts were homemade (deliverd by two local women while were sitting there) and we ended up taking more than half in doggie boxes, but yummo!

We also really liked Dockside in Belfast - I think I've said that on here already - sorry! But it was great. Their tuna melt with tuna that did NOT come from a can was amazing. I've never had tuna that was not in a can - no I'm not kidding. It tasted completely different. Made me want to make tuna salad using fresh tuna sometime.

I can't wait to experiement with fresh fish when we get moved!
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite Restaurants in Maine-088.jpg   Favorite Restaurants in Maine-088b.jpg  

Old 01-01-2008, 01:35 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Galley Family Restaurant in Bath is very good. The portions were HUGE, the desserts were homemade (deliverd by two local women while were sitting there) and we ended up taking more than half in doggie boxes, but yummo!

We also really liked Dockside in Belfast - I think I've said that on here already - sorry! But it was great. Their tuna melt with tuna that did NOT come from a can was amazing. I've never had tuna that was not in a can - no I'm not kidding. It tasted completely different. Made me want to make tuna salad using fresh tuna sometime.

I can't wait to experiement with fresh fish when we get moved!
DP who really appreciates fresh fish (in japan we had sashimi served to us on which the tail was still quivering--that was a bit too fresh for me and had to be removed) is really looking forward to being in Maine and hoping the trip to the fish market will be like the ones in Shinkenseki -- the fresh catch of the day all on ice with glossy bright eyes and the sharp smell of salt water in the air.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Default Yummy...

I'm missing...

Kennebec Tavern in Bath. (owned by my cousin)
The Senator in Augusta.
Le Garage in Wiscasset.
and last but not least.... Fat Boy in Brunswick!

forgot to mention sledding into Lakeview into St Agatha was always a blast! Hundreds of sleds there! What fun.

Last edited by island mermaid; 01-01-2008 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: post new years eve

Old 01-01-2008, 02:01 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Okay, I know this is really bad, but we love Uno's. Very un-Maineiac of us but yummmm.
I like their Farmers Market pizza.

I love the Chowder House in Eastport. They serve the best crab cakes I've ever eaten. The Redclyffe in Robbinston is nice. I like Captain Nick's in Bangor. They don't overcook their seafood.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Becky's Diner on the waterfront in Portland.

Raymonds Variety in Lee. Great breakfasts and home made pies.

Grammies in Linneus. Large portions and excellent food.

All three have real Maine food and are very reasonable.

Oh, and Helen's in Machias or Ellsworth.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:46 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Raymonds Variety in Lee. Great breakfasts and home made pies.
That's my favorite place to meet my dad for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine