Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:38 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,683 times

Advertisements

Mayor...you seem to know alot about everyone, since you use the word "they"....I DO NOT work in Macon, I DO NOT shop in Macon, I listen to 103.9 (the Patriot), and the local news is a joke.....and I`m still trying to figure out what "famous artist" you are speaking of....Macon truly is the "armpit of Middle Georgia".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,037 times
Lol.............lol

Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM

18 posts, read 93,223 times
Exclamation agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
Mayor...you seem to know alot about everyone, since you use the word "they"....I DO NOT work in Macon, I DO NOT shop in Macon, I listen to 103.9 (the Patriot), and the local news is a joke.....and I`m still trying to figure out what "famous artist" you are speaking of....Macon truly is the "armpit of Middle Georgia".....
Agreed.
All cities have their apparent attributes but it's worth looking (objectively) for the dark underbelly. I lived in Chicago for 2 yrs and while I enjoyed it; decided to move. I believe posts that are both positive and negative (short of personal attacks/differences) about a city should be left on the board. We are not doing the user who asked the question about the city a service if we (the ones with experience in and out of Macon, GA) only represent one side. Users are intelligent ( (otherwise they would not have found this forum to ask about the city) and can decide for themselves to visit/live/frequent Macon based on the replies to their request.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:11 AM

634 posts, read 2,922,474 times
Here is an excerpt of what I replied to another thread...

The closest city/town with good public schools is Warner Robins, Georgia.
People from all over the state move there because of their schools and many have been voted at the top of Georgia's Schools of Excellence. Nearby, you have Macon, which is a commercial mecca for all of Central Georgia.

The largest mall outside of Atlanta is located there. Eisenhower Crossing is a humongous shopping center that is relatively new that contains a Home Depot, Target, Best Buy, Dick' Sporting Goods, A Tuxedo Shop, Shoe Carnival, TJ Maxx, Kroger, and many more stores along with restaurants and cafes sprinkled in. These include a deli, Mexican restaurant, a Thai/Japanese restaurant, and Ryan's Steakhouse and Buffet.

Just down the road, say 100 feet is another area of great restaurants including a new Chinese buffet that has hundred's of selections and amazing Chinese decor including a large fountain. There's also an Indian restaurant, Mexican grocery, McDonald's, Subway, and a Wal Mart Supercenter.

At the beginning of Eisenhower Parkway, which is one of Macon's main commercial roads, there is a Media Play [electronics, cd's, etc] Store, a new Academy Sport's Store, Petsmart, Burlington Coat Factory, Krispy Kream Donuts, and much more.

That was just 1/3 of the story. You still have Macon's downtown with family owned boutiques, gift stores, and other interesting joints, and also North Macon, including Riverside Drive with hotels, hundreds of restaurants, hundreds of stores including Books-A-Million/Starbucks, Kroger's, Papouli's Grecian Foods, Chili's, Cici's Pizza, Stevi B's Pizza Buffet, Golden Dragon Chinese Buffet, and much more.

Did I mention the all new Bass Pro Shops which just opened in northern Macon on Bass Road?!?!? It is said to be the largest in the Southeast! It also has a catalog and Distribution Center which brought alot of jobs and there is going to be many new shopping centers surrounding the Bass Pro Shops. Also, there is plans for a second mall in Macon. It is still in the planning but it is said to be built in North Macon where it can get attract some people from the Southern Atlanta suburbs.

Warner Robins' has as much if not more choices of restaurants than Macon now. It is growing in leaps and bounds. The county that Warner Robins is in is the fastest growing outside of Atlanta.

The two counties combined [Bibb County and Macon + Houston County and Warner Robins] is 278,000 without factoring in the other surrounding counties which would add 50,000 to 278,000.

If you want a city life with thriving arts nearby and a great museum district nearby, choose one of the surrounding areas of Macon for example Dublin, Georgia. It has a wonderful downtown, great children's sports programs, some shopping centers, etc. Definately a great small town feel + wonderful schools/Home prics + Close proximity to Warner Robins and Macon!!!!

AND MORE.... It is in easy reach of Augusta, Savannah, and the Georgia Sea Coast. Atlanta is about 2 Hr's and a half from Dublin.

Other great towns with great schools in the area include Perry [has the state agricenter and hosts the Georgia State Fair every October], Forsyth, Gray, Cochran, Eastman, Byron, Fort Valley, Abbeville, and Centerville.

Try and avoid Jeffersonville, Vienna, Unadilla, Cordele, and Roberta.
They are deteriorating towns, although nice with less than mediocre schools.

[Jeffersonville recently got some good news though, with Academy Sports building a distribution center there.] Hopefully it will reverse the downward trend in that town and county.

Friendly people, great schools, great location, amazing home prices, diverse food choices, wonderful shopping, festivals all year round, small towns everywhere, lakes, forests, great fishing, great history with extraordinary museums,

Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 AM

Did any of you guys here of the new Academy Sports Store Distribution Center going up in Twiggs County????

ITS GOING TO REVITALIZE THAT COUNTY!!!! 100 jobs in a 9,000 people county will have a big impact, especially because it is poverty stricken..

Downtown Macon is booming, atleast 3 new skyscrapers are going up including an apartment building, an office building, and according to MayorOfMacon, a medical/office building.

I have read on the Macon Telegraph that there are a few restaurants, and some nightclubs coming downtown. Good news! The nightclub is being managed by a professional who owned high-end restaurants all over Los Angeles. He said he wanted a small town, slower pace feel after he had a stroke.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,646 times
Default Moving to Macon?

I wouldn't move to Macon if I was you. It is a decaying city. Warner Robins is fine but good paying jobs are hard to come by unless you have political ties on wanting to get employed at Robins AFB. I have been trying off and on for 6 years and I'm even a US Army Vet. So, I'm moving to Savannah instead and have a good opportunity to make some real good money as a CNC Plasma Cutting Operator there in a high tech firm. Too bad my hometown of Warner Robins for 33 years couldn't do that for me.

Morgan

Old 04-23-2007, 01:45 PM

Good paying jobs???

Geico, Lay's, Rivoli's Bank, Nichiha Offices, Numerous Law Firms, Medical Center of Central Georgia, and a whole bunch of high tech firms... How could you not find a job???

There is a thriving high tech computer industry springing up in Warner Robins near the Museum of Aviation.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM

511 posts, read 2,477,037 times
There is also, a two-hundred unit housing being proposed, the homes are expected to range from the 100's-200's this is big because there are not many single family homes downtown, most of the population live in apartement buildings, and are tenats, or live in a historic home which could run you several hunderd thousand dollars to buy.

There are several High-tech end jobs like Cisco. There are many industrial jobs like Sara Lee, Kohl's, Delta, Bud, Pepsi, and Coca Cola distribution centers. Cox communitcations, Georgia Power, and also the Coliseum Health Center.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 15,952 times
I was reading your very vivid description of Macon and I appreciate you honesty. My family will be relocating to Macon in July. We are an African American family. I am a Licensed Practical Nurse and my husband is a nursing assistant. We do have small children. (one currently in a gifted program) We are not looking for a cookie cutter neighborhood but one with classic charm. Can you reccommend a neighborhood that is not the typical suburban brawl but more middle class working families???

Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 15,952 times
I have read many posts from you throughout my search to move to Macon. I was wondering if you can reccomend a neighborhood that is mixed racially, mixed middle class, with a decent school system but with old neighborhood charm. We are relocating from Brooklyn a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. Our current neighborhood is cookie cutter and EXTREMELY family oriented. We would like something a little more diverse(we are currently the minority at 97% to 1.75% ratio racially). Please be honest, we will be visiting the Macon area in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon