Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:07 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,830 times

Advertisements

Lake Wildwood is located just ne of Macon in a nice devloping area of BIBB COUNTY. Corrdially located near I-475 no more than 5 minutes away from major shopping centers and big box retailers like Wal-mart, Kohl's, Lowes, and Kroger, recreation such as AmStar Movie Theaters, and not far from Weselyan College (the first women's college in America). Macon is not as bad as any other city with it's size population. If Lake Wildwood is not good try south BIBB COUNTY in the Rutland area, which is expected to also boom with commercial business, it is not far from I-75 nor I-475. Many new homes are being built in both areas mentioned. If you need advice on any of these areas I will be able to assist you with it. Lake Wildwood along with the Rutland area have Big City amenties without the big city crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 7,375 times
I relocated to Macon 2 years ago, so I recently went through the same thing. I first looked in Gray(Jones Cty). Housing is nice, but there is NOTHING to do there & it seems so far from everything. I really don't know much about Warner Robins. It was too far from work.
We moved to North Macon. Housing is slightly higher there, but public schools are good. Look in Springdale first, then Sonny Carter elementary districts. I was told elementary is fine here, but after that change to private. It is my opinion that private school is mostly a status thing here though. I have found my neighborhood to be quite diverse, & like it that way. I do have friends that have experienced some raciscm, but not too bad considering this is the deep south.
By the way I think Lake Wilwood may be in Sonny Carter school disctrict.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:03 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,572 times
Bradridge,

I think you will be impressed with Macon on your trip. I am a recent (4yrs ago) transplant here from Virginia. I have lived in both Warner Robins and Macon and have finally purchased a home in Macon. As far as the diversity and acceptance you are seeking, you will not have major problems in either community. There will be some who may glance and give dirty looks to interracial families, but those are the same people who drive their mud-covered pick-ups home to the dilapidated trailer they live in. Merely harmless uneducated rednecks and unfortunately GA has more than its fair share of these embarassments to the human race. I am a gay happily partnered man and they hate me even more than African-Americans, but I have never had a problem and am embraced by most of my neighbors.

As far as WR vs. Macon is concerned: it depends on what lifestyle you are seeking. Warner Robins is the all-American family town with a nice suburban atmosphere that is EXTREMELY family-oriented. There is little in the way of arts, culture, restaurants other than chains, or nightlife. The upside is taxes are lower, crime is lower, and the schools overall are better and it is a very quiet town where high school sports and Saturdays at the ball park are the norm.

Macon has more crime as a whole because it is a much older city with pockets of extreme poverty (public housing) that create the higher numbers. However, Macon also has a triving arts and music scene, wonderful restaurants, and many beautiful older neighborhoods with wonderful character. Contrary to what some on here say, there are wonderful areas in Macon that are safe and there are pockets of excellence within the schools (Mainly outside of the core city). I live very near downtown in a well-established neighborhood and have never experienced a break-in of my home or vehicle and neither have my neighbors. Just like any older city, however, there are areas of town that are best avoided.

I have friends in Lake Wildwood and they enjoy living there, but there are many areas such as north Bibb county, Vineville/Ingleside, Riverside (north), as well as many others that will suit your needs.

I prefer the character, charm, and history of Macon to the much more suburban and new Warner Robins. IMO, you should tour both areas and make your decision based on your priorities and what you are looking for in a community. Either way, the cities are linked economically and in every other way so it doesn't matter all that much, just your preference. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,073 times
where exactly is Lake Wildwood? I cant find it on mapquest.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:16 PM

Lake Wildwood is not a city, its a community in NorthWest Bibb County. It is located off of Zebulon Road. I have mapquest Lake Wildwood for you just copy and paste the link below.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&zipcode=31206

Old 02-23-2007, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 30,643 times
All of you gave me great opions. I just got back from my trip there and really liked what I saw. I visited some neighborhoods and homes in the north macona area including LakeWildowood and am leaning toward that area. I agree with the Midgeorgiaman who says he likes more of the charm to older Macon area; we do as well. Of course, when you have a child there are other things to consider like schools, other family friendly amenities, etc.

Overall, I have greatly appreciated others feedback, advice, etc. We feel good aobut the move and are excited!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 30,841 times
Could someone describe the Lake Wildwood area, i.e., cost of homes, businesses in the area, medical facilities in the area?

Old 02-25-2007, 07:46 AM

Cost of homes will not range you up into the 200K range houses are in the 100k's, but the community is really great and that what makes the houses of real worth. There's Northside Hospital about 8 minutes away, but there is a sub-clinic is right down the road 5 minutes away. There are several businesses in the area as stated such as Wal-mart, Kohl's, Kroger, Lowes, and many other smaller stores, such as L.A. Weightloss, Oreck Store, Dollar Stores, and more. Also, If you are an outdoorsmen, The New Bass Pro Shops is right around the area, Bass Pro Shops is a huge outdoorsmen store, picture about 5 Dick's sporting goods stores together, It's claimed to be the biggest one in the southeast. It's located on Bass Road which is beginning to boom with commercial business. If your looking for a job Bass Pro Shops will be building a distribution center that will attract many jobs. Many homes and townhomes which will run you anywhere higher than 200k are starting to go up around the area if you are interested in a more expensive home than in Lake Wildwood. The whole north side of town is turning into another city.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 11,829 times
Bradridge,

You know you should'nt listen to everyone you meet on the internet. I can say for a fact that both Jones and Robins are dumps and are not associated with a climate that is conducive to you and your family, it just so happens that they are a little backwoods. Any city quite naturally will have crime, and I'm willing to bet that most criminals come from all the surrounding minor cities or counties. As you seem like you have a little experience with adapting there are some great places to live in Macon if you're willing to spend some money. Don't be discourage by what most have told you as both of those areas will be eventually be consumed by the greater Metropolitan Macon Area.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:18 AM

I will second that
(post too short post too short, now its not)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon