Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready For Colorado View Post
Macon is a major cess pit, I'm 32 yrs old and was born in Macon in 1976, I've lived here my entire life but I'm finally getting out in 2009, I've been wanting to get out for at least 10 yrs. I can't wait to get out to Colorado, thats where I'm moving to, fortunately my property is about to sell, and thats the only thing thats been keeping me from moving. I want to get out so bad that its likely that I'll NEVER see my mom again, or any of my relatives because I'm never coming back, not even to visit.

I'll soon have the money to relocate as I need it to get me set up in Colorado, I know not a soul where I'm going nor do I have any job prospects there...I'm just GOING ! No more hellish humid heat of the summer time, no more high rates of violent crime or thug gangsters,ect. Many of the businesses around Macon have p-i-s-s poor service as well, eating places are slack , quality jobs have always been hard to get in Macon I've found that those who got decent jobs got them because not of what they knew...but WHO they knew, the good ol'boy attitude is alive and well in Macon.

Politics in Macon sucks as well, especially concerning the Mayor and City Council blocking businesses from coming into Macon, there has been an attitude of not wanting outsiders coming here, not always...but most of the time, Briggs & Stratton wanted to come here and they were blocked, the Miller brewery thats in Albany wanted to come here and they were blocked citing the reason by the Council as they would pull too much water from the Ocmulgee, some wealthy Japanese that know of Macon because of the Cherry Blossom events wanted to come here and build a huge amusement park and they were blocked. Macon is a dead backwards city that seems to do everything that it can to stay awful and unprosperous. I have hated Macon with a fervent passion, and would not recommend it to NO ONE.

In a matter of 2 months , I'll be gone, gone, gone, and the day I have that U-HAUL truck packed up driving out of Macon, I'll have one hand on the steering wheel and the other out the window raised with middle finger extended giving my goodbye wave to Macon... I'm not the only person that feels this way, there are others on here with detailed negative remarks towards Macon.
Good We are so glad people like "YOU" are gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Work begins on downtown Macon's Terminal Station

Work begins on downtown Macon's Terminal Station - Local & State - Macon (http://www.macon.com/198/story/738176.html - broken link)

What the Macon Terminal station will look like once the renovations and expansion is complete

Before

After

Updated Pics on the New Downtown Convention Center Marriott Construction.

Architects interviewed; pick for New Bibb courthouse project and renovation of Old Court house expected Monday
Architects interviewed; pick for Bibb courthouse project expected Monday - Local & State - Macon

The old Court House

Last edited by yerocal; 06-07-2009 at 08:34 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Another Big Development for DT Macon........

"Major project could add hotels and housing to Macon"

A developer hopes to build $169 million worth of hotels, homes and offices across the street from the Wilson Convention Center, transforming the long-dormant Bibb Mill site.

Major project could add hotels and housing to Macon - Local & State - Macon

Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Zoning board to look at plans for vacant Macon school

The zoning commission will consider for the second time plans to demolish the vacant Hunt Magnet School in east Macon to make way for a new shopping center and an apartment complex.

The 10-acre site at 990 Shurling Drive at the intersection with Kitchens Road must be rezoned from a single-family residential district to allow the developments. A portion of the property — 5.6 acres — must be rezoned to a general commercial district to allow the shopping center and convenience store with gas islands. The other 4.4 acres must be rezoned to a multi-family residential district to allow the apartments.

http://www.macon.com/102/story/891775.html

Old 10-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Bibb, Houston, Jones, Twiggs, Crawford and Peach counties, we are all invariably linked — and our futures depend on how well we work together. Much of the heavy lifting will be found in Houston and Bibb counties. For example, The G-RAMP (Georgia-Robins Aerospace Maintenance Partnership) project that will cost as much as $70 million to build.

We all have something to gain or lose in costly projects to support the base - Opinion - Macon.com (http://www.macon.com/203/story/890841.html - broken link)

Old 03-16-2010, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,797 times
I would like to know what is some nice areas to live in macon and are the schools in macon good i heard own the news that a 15yr old boy was caught with a gun in his back pack and when he was conforted about it he replied that he had it for protection due to the gangs at school are the schools in macon that bad or do i have to go to a different county for my kids to feel safe in school any input would be wonderful Thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
The incident you are referring to happened in Dublin city schools, about 50 miles east. However, I would look at each school in Macon individually. I love Macon, but well over half of the schools are unfit for learning and have been overtaken by a ghetto culture that allows disruptive and disrespectful children to remain in the classroom. There are some good schools, but check out websites like greatschools or the GA DOE to see if the particular school you are looking at is good or not. I work closely with the schools and PLEASE visit the school your children would attend prior to signing any housing contract. There is a reason there are a LOT of private schools in Macon.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM

16 posts, read 44,202 times
Great projects for macon. I hope it stays a mid size city and dont over build. Dont want it to become another Atlanta. Grow smart please!!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Companies seeking sites in Bibb County increasing

The number of companies seeking new sites in Bibb County and throughout the state is tracking upward a little, according to information presented at Monday’s Macon-Bibb County Industrial Authority meeting.
“Two new projects opened this month and we had three visits from companies, said Pat Topping, senior vice president of the Macon Economic Development Commission. Also, Topping said he has three companies looking for “Greenfield sites or build-to-suit” sites, and 13 companies looking for existing buildings.

Companies seeking sites in Bibb County increasing - Business - Macon.com (http://www.macon.com/2010/05/04/1116107/companies-seeking-sites-in-bibb.html - broken link)

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Has anyone seen the following article about loft development on Mercer's campus? [URL]http://www.mercer.edu/features/lofts/[/URL]
This could be an economic boon not only for Mercer University, but the surrounding neighborhoods.

I know that some of you may say, "There is no hope for Montepelier Avenue or the streets near Tatnall Square." However, I think this project might make these areas more desireable. Discuss.

Last edited by Exiled Georgian; 08-02-2010 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Fixed hyperlink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon