Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,847,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Bulldawgfan, Broadway in Columbus is really close to some shady areas such as 13th street immediately after crossing the bridge into Phenix City and the area on Veterans traveling south towards 4th St. and the Columbus Civic Center. A person could be at various locations on Broadway and be within walking distance of some bad areas like Booker T. Washington Public Housing.

You feel "safe" there, surrounded by run down areas, but if someone were planning to head down to Douglass Theatre in Macon, you'd feel obligated to tell them that the "ghetto" was nearby, huh? No, there's nothing biased at all about that.
Actually Broadway is no where near BTW. Yes there's some bad apples who live over there,but I hardly hear any crime coming from BTW. I guess with the police station being 4 or 5 blocks away from your back door,what else can you do? Columbus housing authority is keeping BTW decent,Thank you!

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/...#disqus_thread

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 07-18-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,103,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Actually Broadway is no where near BTW. Yes there's some bad apples who live over there,but I hardly hear any crime coming from BTW. I guess with the police station being 4 or 5 blocks away from your back door,what else can you do?

As you can see below, you can walk from parts of Broadway to Booker T. Washington Public Housing. It's close. At the other end of Broadway, you can make a left near the old Bradley Theater unto 13th St and it looks very shady immediately crossing that little bridge into Phenix City. It's walking distance.

Besides, don't miss my point. I'm not saying don't go to Broadway or that it's HIGHLY LIKELY that you will be a victim of a crime there. Though there are some rough areas nearby, you can get in and out Broadway and back to your home just fine. Just be smart and watch your surroundings. My point is that same applies to DT Macon too. A person can't honestly proclaim to be so frightened by Downtown Macon, then turn around and say they feel safe on Broadway in Columbus. "The hood" is but a short turn away in either Downtown. In regards to shady areas, to act like either Downtown is so much worse than the other is melodramatic. I'm not saying you are guilty of this but some are. I've been in and out of both on several weekends with no problems.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
As you can see below, you can walk from parts of Broadway to Booker T. Washington Public Housing. It's close. At the other end of Broadway, you can make a left near the old Bradley Theater unto 13th St and it looks very shady immediately crossing that little bridge into Phenix City. It's walking distance.

Besides, don't miss my point. I'm not saying don't go to Broadway or that it's HIGHLY LIKELY that you will be a victim of a crime there. Though there are some rough areas nearby, you can get in and out Broadway and back to your home just fine. Just be smart and watch your surroundings. My point is that same applies to DT Macon too. A person can't honestly proclaim to be so frightened by Downtown Macon, then turn around and say they feel safe on Broadway in Columbus. "The hood" is but a short turn away in either Downtown. In regards to shady areas, to act like either Downtown is so much worse than the other is melodramatic. I'm not saying you are guilty of this but some are. I've been in and out of both downtowns on several weekends with no problems.

That area of Broadway is apart of historic district,there is no business on that side. Also there is a nursing home a block away from BTW,the elders seem to not have a problem with BTW being located across the road from their home.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Broadway homes.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
RNF RNF started this thread

141 posts, read 232,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
From the TOS, about 1/3 down the page
I disagree, and here is why. Since the late 1970's people have been leaving Macon. Perhaps just suburbia flight, but it happened all the same. No better place to see this is to take a drive down Eisenhower. Abandoned buildings, some with boarded up windows, acres and acres of empty parking lots. As one heads west a line is crossed and you enter the new Macon. Where recent developers decided to take a risk and build the box stores. Same holds true if ones heads north out of downtown Macon. This new development was heralded as growth, but it was simple relocation. A shell game. People stopped using downtown and decay increased. Not exclusive to Macon, but Macon is the topic.
Better than a decade ago many city planners all over this country saw what happened when suburbia flight took place. Especially in low growth areas. A decaying downtown surrounded by box stores out in the 'burbs. Many of these city planners proposed inner city renewal projects, which were not always received well, because big box stores were popping up in the neighborhoods where the voting populous moved to. But some places were able to fund renewal projects downtown, and in many of these places the downtown areas were spared. Not saved, but spared. That scenario did not happen to any extent in Macon. An example would be Broadway in Columbus. Only a few blocks, but I enjoy it and feel safe. Chattanooga is another city that pulled this off. I have yet to see anything even remotely like it in downtown Macon. Proposals abound, no real action.
is a very subjective claim. Along the lines of 'beauty is in the eyes of the beholder'. This topic is rooted in opinion. The OP may very well consider downtown Macon as pretty nice. As in opinion. My opinion differs. Downtown Macon is a lot of things, but 'pretty nice' is way down on my list.
You probably haven't even been to macon. There are lots of people in downtown Macon ever day. IDK what you're talking about. Macon is growing but like we've told you before the city limits aren't at those areas.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,018 times
In my opinion, downtown Macon is not nice. It might have been at one time, but it appears little effort has been made to rejuvenate it. All in the eyes of the beholder I suppose.

Quote:
Bulldawgfan, Broadway in Columbus is really close to some shady areas such as 13th street immediately after crossing the bridge into Phenix City and the area on Veterans traveling south towards 4th St. and the Columbus Civic Center. A person could be at various locations on Broadway and be within walking distance of some bad areas like Booker T. Washington Public Housing.

You feel "safe" there, surrounded by run down areas, but if someone were planning to head down to Douglass Theatre in Macon, you'd feel obligated to tell them that the "ghetto" was nearby, huh? No, there's nothing biased at all about that.
Are you going to comment on the thread or are you going to make comments to me? I saw a post recently where that was clearly outlined. Maybe it is just me, but I cannot find where you made a comment about the original post in there at all. You addressed me. Please see the underlined words below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
NOTICE

The bickering and personal insults are stopping now. Read the first post. Comment on the topic and only the topic, and add constructive comments to the topic. This is not a chat room. Do not discuss other posters or each other or fight/bicker in the room or you'll get a nice vacation and won't be able to post.

Thank you!
If by chance you missed that, I wanted to bring it to your attention.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,018 times
Once again, whether Macon is nice or not is a matter of opinion. And everyone has a differing opinion. Some are more aligned and some are not. The trouble with posts like this is there is little to gain in the way of influencing opinions. My opinion is not aligned with yours, I do not think downtown Macon is nice. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
You probably haven't even been to macon. There are lots of people in downtown Macon ever day. IDK what you're talking about. Macon is growing but like we've told you before the city limits aren't at those areas.
Did you not see the post where conduct was outlined? Please notice the underlined words below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
NOTICE

The bickering and personal insults are stopping now. Read the first post. Comment on the topic and only the topic, and add constructive comments to the topic. This is not a chat room. Do not discuss other posters or each other or fight/bicker in the room or you'll get a nice vacation and won't be able to post.

Thank you!
I re-post this just in case you might have missed it. (Although it has not even been 12 hours)

Old 07-18-2012, 03:19 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
I've only passed through Macon but never actually stopped, but from what I've seen in pictures, it appears as though downtown Macon has pretty good bones which gives it a lot of potential for revitalization:

Elements of Urbanism: Macon | Metro Jacksonville

Old 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM

934 posts, read 1,347,891 times
Too much potential in MacTown, it boggles the mind why Columbus is out-growing Macon.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:15 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,659,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Too much potential in MacTown, it boggles the mind why Columbus is out-growing Macon.
Because Columbus is larger and has more going on...Columbus is Georgia's shining star by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon