Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not Arizona-----if anything: the illegals (most of whom are 'Hispanic') are fleeing in droves due in part to our employer sanctions law. It is too risky for an employer to hire an 'undocumented' person. SSN that fails E-verify: no job.
Are you telling us that AZ actually has some laws with teeth in them, laws to ensure that workers have the legal right to work in the US before they are allowed to work? (i.e. resident alien with right to work?) If so, how refreshing!

In California I think it's illegal to refuse work to undocumented aliens, illegal to ask about their lawful immigrant status. I know police can't ask. What kind of screwy system is that, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Cali is a major city in Colombia. You might be taken seriously if you can type the full name of our state, or at least use CA as an abbreviation. California is NOT Cali.
oh, bless you. "cali" is right up there on my crazy meter with "frisco."

Old 07-10-2008, 08:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Are you telling us that AZ actually has some laws with teeth in them, laws to ensure that workers have the legal right to work in the US before they are allowed to work? (i.e. resident alien with right to work?) If so, how refreshing!

In California I think it's illegal to refuse work to undocumented aliens, illegal to ask about their lawful immigrant status. I know police can't ask. What kind of screwy system is that, anyway?
Yes, we do.

And; more and more PD's have the authority to asking anybody arrested if they are here legally or not.....if any doubt-----said arrestees will be investigated further.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times
Quote:

How can that be when you have to show papers that you're either a citizen or legal resident to allowed to work here when applying for jobs?

Every time I go to apply somewhere they want to see "proof" that I'm legally allowed to work here. California law cannot override Federal.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes, we do.

And; more and more PD's have the authority to asking anybody arrested if they are here legally or not.....if any doubt-----said arrestees will be investigated further.
I really can't stand Sheriff Arpao(?) (can't spell his name worth a damn), but I find him to be unnecessarily cruel. His tactics of keeping prisoners out in the desert under tents is disgusting and does NOT deter criminals from coming back.

He makes me soooooo sick. Ever since I saw him on Nancy Grace doing an interview and he had female prisoners standing behind him like he was some sort of rock star. Bastard. Like those women really wanted to stand behind him looking like a bunch of groupies.

Even Nancy called him on it and you could see the disgust on her face as well.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Sister, who cares what anybody classifies themselves as? If they want to call themselves green, let them. Many of these peoples and/or their cultures place a premium on light skin/whiteness, this has been the case for centuries if not millenia. Many Asian (south/central Asian and southeast Asian) cultures/nationalities do it, many African cultures do it, many Latin/Central/South American cultures do it too. If they got a problem with self loathing and self hatred based on skin tones and want to pretend to be white or go through medical procedures/use skin products/creams to try to whitewash themselves, that's on them.

There's one place where it screws things up for the negative, very badly.

Virtually all the crime committed by Latinos/Hispanics/Mexicans, legal or otherwise, gets classifed as committed by "White" people, which skews the statistics tremendously, particularly for race based crimes they commit against black folk. Yet roughly 10% of Latinos/Hispanics/Mexicans are actually white, as in, pure blooded decendants of Spaniards, Portuguese, or other Europeans. So the whites get the blame in the FBI uniform crime stats for crimes committed by Latinos.

While that's not just unfair to white folks, my concern is that this is another bogus attempt to conceal the truth of the matter of who is committing crimes, particularly hate crimes against blacks, nowadays.
Are you sure they're classifying crimes committed by latinos as WHITE?

I don't think so. I'm sorry, but Southern Californians are fanatical in their anti-latino rants. There is no way they would classify a hispanic as WHITE if they weren't.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
How can that be when you have to show papers that you're either a citizen or legal resident to allowed to work here when applying for jobs?
Um, because employers want to hire them, because fake papers are dime a dozen, because the federal government is just plain lax, and because everybody just goes wink, wink and ignores the laws?

All these illegals would not come here if the couldn't work, couldn't make a living. That alone tells you that you don't need papers to work here. Virtually none of them would be here if not for being able to work and earn far more money than in Mexico. America is the land of silver and gold for illegal aliens. Don't tell me you think they can't work here, that's just plain crazy.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 PM

288 posts, read 811,667 times
I haven't been to CA in years so I have no real first hand knowledge of what's going on with there this whole issue. What I will say, both in my own opinion and from what I infer from these posts, the issues aren't truly racial when it comes down to it, it's cultural and economic.

When our country is being flooded by people who sneak in here, do my job for much less than I need to get by on (I have one of these jobs our politicians would like you to believe Americans won't do) and don't care to adapt to our language and culture, we have a problem. The irony is that by not assimilating, they're only holding themselves back and essentially continue to live a 3rd world lifestyle, granted better than where they were or they wouldn't bother coming.

Personally, that's my issue. If the illegals paid taxes, didn't drive down wages and made a concerted effort learn English, I wouldn't be all that concerned with their legal status truthfully. Basically become part of the country in which you now reside. With the situation being as it is, however, these frustrations for many people can escalate to hate, violence, etc...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
I really can't stand Sheriff Arpao(?) (can't spell his name worth a damn), but I find him to be unnecessarily cruel. His tactics of keeping prisoners out in the desert under tents is disgusting and does NOT deter criminals from coming back.

He makes me soooooo sick. Ever since I saw him on Nancy Grace doing an interview and he had female prisoners standing behind him like he was some sort of rock star. Bastard. Like those women really wanted to stand behind him looking like a bunch of groupies.

If tents are good enough for our Armed Forces in Iraq (or in any other theater of war)------they are certainly good enough for lawbreakers.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,993 times
Quote:

Theyre into that kinda of thing out there in the desert.

People love this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles