Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:28 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,120,612 times

Advertisements

You mean this? http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/a-c...919531033.html

"But for the intervention of a passer-by, the victims believe the mob - estimated by witnesses as about 30 strong - would have killed them. Last week, after an emotional trial fraught with legal histrionics and claims of witness intimidation, eight girls, age 13 to 18, and one 18-year-old male were found guilty of hate crimes, while a 12-year-old girl was acquitted. Two other boys were subsequently charged and await trial."

Yeah, it's being enforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqorqt View Post
Everyone would have you believe Los Angeles is one of the multicultural meca of the world is that really true? I would have to say yes and no. Yes, it tries with it’s diversity training, racial tolerance and awareness but the question I have; is it truly effective or is it something that the powers to be put in place and then go to sleep at night saying to themselves I’ve done something good? Has it not sunk in to the academic elitist and political pundants to treat ALL people as equals and hold accountable those that are disruptive and just plan bad people? We introduce hate crimes on the books but don’t enforce them (Long Beach) that help no one of any color. The bottom line we have to live together because last I check they’re not producing any more land and they can only build so many homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 03:53 PM

252 posts, read 1,130,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
One didn't have to live in L.A. to "live through" the Rodney King riots; it was televised all over TV, broadcast on radio, appeared in newspapers, magazines, etc. And for what? Because white cops didn't get busted, weren't convicted? So basically, as soon as someone or some group doesn't doesn't get their way, riots occur? Is this what we're supposed to believe? That this is what modern America is all about?

Racial tensions between blacks/whites have occurred and continue to occur in all big cities across the U.S. So does poverty, etc. We don't have a big hispanic vs. black vs. white problem here, but I've certainly seen my share of black vs. white tensions. And what good did it do? The only thing that has helped is education and people getting involved, getting people to participate in solutions. And do you know what else works here? There's a magnet school in our area that serves predominantly black children; the kids wear uniforms, they have a mini pep rally every morning (not really called that, but for a lack of a better word, I'm calling it that), and the teachers instill discipline, education, and respect in these kids. The kids are doing great. They're doing well academically and doing well socially.

My head is not buried in the sand; rather, I'm really sick of the "victim" mentality, the "I have to be a gangster/criminal, have to rob, assault, kill, rape, take my life to the gutter and take other innocent people with me because I'm black, white, hispanic, etc." - these are all poor excuses for being a social misfit and criminal.

Your last line really makes me laugh as you believe that those that don't buy into the victim mentality or class or racial warfare are from the suburbs, have head in sand, etc. I just said in my post before this one that the reason we left our country is exactly because of this reason. Maybe some people have seen enough bloodshed and just don't want to see anymore. Their head is in not in the sand, rather, they know that class and ethnic warfare doesn't lead to anything good, it just causes more of the same.

What really needs to happen is for mama/papa, mommy and daddy to keep an eye on their kids, and give them a swift kick in the hiney before the kids get out of control. Too bad that the only role models some of these kids have is some rapper/gangster that's teaching the impressionable minds that it's about violence and victimhood; that it's everyone else's fault that their life sucks. Trust me, I'm all too aware of what goes on in schools, etc., but the thugs of this county will NOT get the last word, as there are too many people in this country that will not tolerate anti-social behavior. It is NOT okay. The KKK went around lynching people because of race, religion, ethnicity, whatever. People rose up and said, "no, it's not okay". The great leaders of this world do not promote or mandate violence; rather, it's the weak and weak-minded that do.

you know, I agree with you on everything. Unfortunately, there are too many bad parents/careless teachers out there. All I'm saying is problems do exists and everyone is equally to blame in this day and age.

btw, if someone gets there way, parents will not be able to spank their kids anymore.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:32 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,714,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Between Hispanics and African Americans, Hispanics and Euro Americans, etc.?

I read somewhere that racial tension, GENERALLY, has begun to increase as many immigrants (legal or illegal) begin to relocate into what were once predominately black neighborhoods.

And I think the reason for the long commutes in the LA metro area are simply because people aren't very open to integration, so they move further and further away from the core city, which results in longer driving times.

Diversity is a good thing, if it's made correctly. People moving in, not assimilating American ways, to take over will result in major problems. However, people moving in that will learn to live the American way, will most likely not result in major problems.

What can be done to stop this?

I hate racial tensions. I wish people would just look past skin color and realize all people are not the same, and that everyone can offer something if they really want to.

Downtown LA is not at all like other large cities in other states. A lot of tall buildings, but there are only a few small apartment buildings for residents.
As far as east LA or South LA they do have their problems.

The news media do not help, they sensationalize any and all conflicts.

Oddly enough here in LA there is more violence within any one race than between others. There are some very real conflicts, but considering the large amount of people here it seems low by comparison.

We had a riot here back in the early 90's, the riot was attended by representitives of all races, all idiots in my opinion. The riot had been planned not provoked. I lived only a few miles away, the riverbeds were used by the police to contain. Everyone I seen or knew of any race were all afraid and embarassed.

In LA county the cities do not have bits of desert or forest to seperate, the homes and businesses flow seamlessly together where you often may not know what city you are in. Many cities do have more whites, blacks, latinos or asians than others. People have their own reasons for where they live.

Tensions yes they exist, easy enough to avoid if you wish.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:27 AM

37 posts, read 339,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
One didn't have to live in L.A. to "live through" the Rodney King riots; it was televised all over TV, broadcast on radio, appeared in newspapers, magazines, etc. And for what? Because white cops didn't get busted, weren't convicted? So basically, as soon as someone or some group doesn't doesn't get their way, riots occur? Is this what we're supposed to believe? That this is what modern America is all about?

Racial tensions between blacks/whites have occurred and continue to occur in all big cities across the U.S. So does poverty, etc. We don't have a big hispanic vs. black vs. white problem here, but I've certainly seen my share of black vs. white tensions. And what good did it do? The only thing that has helped is education and people getting involved, getting people to participate in solutions. And do you know what else works here? There's a magnet school in our area that serves predominantly black children; the kids wear uniforms, they have a mini pep rally every morning (not really called that, but for a lack of a better word, I'm calling it that), and the teachers instill discipline, education, and respect in these kids. The kids are doing great. They're doing well academically and doing well socially.

My head is not buried in the sand; rather, I'm really sick of the "victim" mentality, the "I have to be a gangster/criminal, have to rob, assault, kill, rape, take my life to the gutter and take other innocent people with me because I'm black, white, hispanic, etc." - these are all poor excuses for being a social misfit and criminal.

Your last line really makes me laugh as you believe that those that don't buy into the victim mentality or class or racial warfare are from the suburbs, have head in sand, etc. I just said in my post before this one that the reason we left our country is exactly because of this reason. Maybe some people have seen enough bloodshed and just don't want to see anymore. Their head is in not in the sand, rather, they know that class and ethnic warfare doesn't lead to anything good, it just causes more of the same.

What really needs to happen is for mama/papa, mommy and daddy to keep an eye on their kids, and give them a swift kick in the hiney before the kids get out of control. Too bad that the only role models some of these kids have is some rapper/gangster that's teaching the impressionable minds that it's about violence and victimhood; that it's everyone else's fault that their life sucks. Trust me, I'm all too aware of what goes on in schools, etc., but the thugs of this county will NOT get the last word, as there are too many people in this country that will not tolerate anti-social behavior. It is NOT okay. The KKK went around lynching people because of race, religion, ethnicity, whatever. People rose up and said, "no, it's not okay". The great leaders of this world do not promote or mandate violence; rather, it's the weak and weak-minded that do.
I'm guessing you are a suburban white woman right? You aint black so you don't know jack about what it feels to be a black man in this country. The black man is the most scrutinized species of human being on the planet

Everybody on the planet looks at TV and sees trashy images of black men and think all blacks are like that. I bet you are one of those people who know about the dark side of LA because you just read the papers and watch little documentaries on TV about the "Black Experience".

You as a suburban white woman or whatever aint gotta buy a gun(s) to protect yourself away from racist Mexian gang members and Beach area white supremacists. So go back to your picket fence home in Simi Valley or Beverly Hills.

There aint nobody playing victims, this is real life. If you have been on the earth long enough you automatically know what the crap Blacks have to go through just to make it in this country. Racism towards blacks will NEVER GO AwAY!

Not every black man on this earth is a thug or sex fiend like people like would like to believe.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-07-2007 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-07-2007, 06:36 PM

2,882 posts, read 5,915,599 times
I wouldn't be suprised at another riot or "civil disturbance" in the next 5-10-15years. We're living in the good times now...but what happens to a radically divided city in bad times?

LA is about 12 different countries rolled into one. There's very little unity here compared to other big cities I've been to (NYC for example...lots of diversity..but they all came together after 9/11...I have a hard time seeing that happen here).

-You've got little pockets of millionaires and billionaires in Malibu, Century City, Beverly Hills. It's a concentration of wealth that you'd only see in a few other places in the country (and in the world).

-You've got an over worked and squeezed middle class. It would be hard to find a family of 4, anywhere in LA county, making $50-60-70 k a year thats not worried about money, housing, finding good schools.

-Of course it isn't politically correct to say it, but then you've got some of the poorest people in the country living here. 3rd world poverty.

Add in different tensions, the memory of the riots, mistrust of the LAPD...I wonder sometimes what holds it all together.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:17 PM

84 posts, read 298,784 times
I didn't see this response stated in this thread so forgive me if it's there and I missed it but why is it okay to the US government that there is such lawlessness and violent crime in Compton?! From what I have read, there are a handful of murders a day there and no police dept?! WTF? It is shameful that nothing has been done to at least attempt to police it. If I'm wrong about anything in this post, please enlighten me!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,624,640 times
No offense but you are a bit miss informed.

The City of Compton is policed by the Los Angeles County Sherrifs Department as mant smaller LA County cities are, as well.

Also, please provide crime stats to confirm that there are "a handful" of murders occuring daily in Compton.

The City of Compton is not the cream of crop of neighborhoods by any stretch, however, there is as much criminal activity in Compton as there is in SFV communities like Pacoima.

Turn off BET please, and don't believe the hype!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard View Post
I didn't see this response stated in this thread so forgive me if it's there and I missed it but why is it okay to the US government that there is such lawlessness and violent crime in Compton?! From what I have read, there are a handful of murders a day there and no police dept?! WTF? It is shameful that nothing has been done to at least attempt to police it. If I'm wrong about anything in this post, please enlighten me!

Last edited by calipoppy; 04-13-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2008, 05:25 AM

84 posts, read 298,784 times
Exclamation We disagree. Shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No offense but you are a bit miss informed.

The City of Compton is policed by the Los Angeles County Sherrifs Department as mant smaller LA County cities are, as well.

Also, please provide crime stats to confirm that there are "a handful" of murders occuring daily in Compton.

The City of Compton is not the cream of crop of neighborhoods by any stretch, however, there is as much criminal activity in Compton as there is in SFV communities like Pacoima.

Turn off BET please, and don't believe the hype!

No worries.. No offense taken but I disagree with you.

I did not mean that they are not policed at all but what I meant is that the policing is so insignificant that it is negligible. And believe it or not, they actually at one point DID have their OWN Compton Police Dept which was eventually shut down. As to the murder stats, you can look it up yourself and if you find fewer murders occurring in Compton then congratulations. I actually meant a handful of murders weekly not daily so the typo is my bad. But realize that having any amount of murders per day or per week or per month is not the norm! Arguing about the numbers of atrocious murders due to gang violence, racisim, drugs, etc. doesn't negate the fact that most other cities in the United States of America are not like that or to that extent. Some are, most aren't. Comparing crime stats between East LA or South Central LA cities is as useful as comparing a black cauldron and a dark kettle. With the crime moving back and forth between alot of poor inner cities in LA, it doesn't matter if Compton has more rape but less murders than other notoriously bad cities or more murders but less rape.. etc. etc.

The bottom line is:
1. it is so bad that it is notorious.
Crime - from 1999-2006 crime CD crime index 620-802 (US avg is 323!)
2. Murders - from 1999-2006 39-65 (that means avg is 1.25 per week! I'm sure some weeks will have more and some weeks will have less. I don't know exactly as I am fortunate enough not to live there. I do have a friend who does live there for the last 35 years and he says that there are some weeks where there are murders every day. I don't have reason to doubt him on this.
3. 95,000 people and 249 registered sex offenders. 384 to 1! what a ratio. btw, that number is based on -registered- offenders not registered number of offenses let alone -Actual- offenses that are not even reported.
4. 21.9% of Compton population live in poverty

I couldn't look up Pacoima on CD (it didn't come up) but I did look up Inglewood with its 115,000 population, its CD crime index is 405-532 from 1999-2006. and 16-38 murders per year during that time period. 18.1 % of population live in poverty in Inglewood. So comparing just these two non "creme of the crop" neighborhoods as you call it, Compton makes Inglewood look tame.

In conclusion.. Compton definitely lives up to the hype. Compare it to its neighboring city Inglewood shows how bad of the bad LA cities it is. Compare it to a "safe" OC city Mission Viejo with 95,000 population 3.4% living in poverty, 89-107 CD crime index from 1999-2006 with 27 registered sex offenders 3523 to 1 ratio and a murder rate of 0-3 a year shows how really truly bad Compton is. From a statistic point of view to the perspective of someone who actually lives there (according to my friend who chooses to live there all of his 35 yrs of life), looks like it's not just hype.

PS. When I'm not spending time with my family and I can't sleep, I'm here researching our family's next relocation destination. That lead me to this thread which lead me to this post. I don't watch BET. I wouldn't even know which channel it is on on my cable directory.

Last edited by SugarHazard; 07-06-2008 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-06-2008, 07:08 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,604,735 times
SugarHazard, you're responding to a post that's three months old?! Wow. FYI, both Compton and Inglewood are incorporated cities. Pacoima is part of the City of Los Angeles. That's probably why you can't find any crime stats on it.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:31 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,271,422 times
People may say 'race' this and 'race' that........the common denominator between different groups of people is culture.

I have met English people who were Black; I perceived them as Brits, not African Americans.

Hispanic: OTOH; is definitely an artificial label......although anymore it in practice usually means a Mestizo who (usually) speaks Spanish and follows an archaic variation of Spanish culture (modern Spain is becoming more and more like Sweden in its mores).

In fact: about two years ago a woman who looked like a stereotypical 'Latina' walked into a coffeehouse here in Arizona; I said something to her (politely) and when she replied------I almost fell over. She was English complete with the accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles