Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Now I know why you're on welfare.
Im not on welfare buddy lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 09:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,269 times
Quote:

Miami is LOADED with modern high rises for housing. many of which are affordable.

why can't LA do the same? corruption? stupidity? democrats?
For one thing Miami doesn't have earthquakes and Miami high rise construction is concentrated within an area,while L.A's is scattered around.

In my opinion Miami is following the building patterns of NYC,while L.A is following more of Tokyo's building patterns.

Miami seems like a nice city with it's warmer beach waters and more rainfall=more humidity,but there's just so much more that L.A offers in and around the region plus the weather is better.

L.A is improving a lot as time goes by...It has enormous potential which is why L.A grew from a small town/village/pueblo to become the 2nd largest U.S City surpassing Chicago,and it's also one of the most desirable places to live in and visit despite it's problems.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 PM

782 posts, read 760,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
For one thing Miami doesn't have earthquakes and Miami high rise construction is concentrated within an area,while L.A's is scattered around.

In my opinion Miami is following the building patterns of NYC,while L.A is following more of Tokyo's building patterns.

Miami seems like a nice city with it's warmer beach waters and more rainfall=more humidity,but there's just so much more that L.A offers in and around the region plus the weather is better.

L.A is improving a lot as time goes by...It has enormous potential which is why L.A grew from a small town/village/pueblo to become the 2nd largest U.S City surpassing Chicago,and it's also one of the most desirable places to live in and visit despite it's problems.
Miami like most of South Florida, yes warm nice beaches, but the beach side is Miami Beach and SoBe, unless you like swimming in Biscayne Bay.

"Nice" is subjective on you cash flow/bank account. There is a lot of poverty in Miami, most of the service people are bussed in because they cannot afford the rents. I lived north of Miami in West Palm Beach and had a job offer in Miami a few years ago, office was in Miami Beach and we looked at rents, aside from high rises that were $$$ it was crap rentals that were very expensive, could not afford Coral Gables or Coconut Grove. Looking to sell our current house and buy wasn't realistic, the drive from the areas were housing was more affordable made an already bad commute into living hell. Passed on that, in a typical South Florida fashion the offer wasn't worth it or even viable with the high cost of living in Miami.

South Florida like much of the state is heavy service, tourist driven, great place to visit but to live, not so much unless you are in a small handful of professions that pay above average wages to afford it. Forgot to mention car insurance, I was paying over $300/month in West Palm Beach for 2 average cars, safe drivers, 40+ with great credit, no accidents or tickets. Called Geico when we looked at moving, got an estimate, they told me (at the time was 3+ years ago) that my rate would go up $100-125/month) so that's $400 to 425/month, here I'm paying $80/month for the same cars and coverage.

Those high rises were going up fast pre-bust, then after they stopped, now it's going back to the same thing, too many overpriced condos and houses and not enough wealthy Canadians, Russians, Chinese and South Americans to buy them, foreign investment is driving things there. Miami is in a serious bubble, in all South Florida is, unlike here, people are not moving there because companies are relocating there from SoCal or SF Bay Area creating ton's of high paying jobs.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:32 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Right because classical Liberals are all brain-dead old dead white males to you?
Even conservatives in other developed countries believe in government oversight in healthcare to control costs....whereas the US with limited government action: has the most expensive :rollseyes....

Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Even conservatives in other developed countries believe in government oversight in healthcare to control costs....whereas the US with limited government action: has the most expensive :rollseyes....
LOL, are you kidding me?

The cost of healthcare in the US is atrocious because the government is trying to control it.

LET THE FREE MARKET WORK!

If government would get their hands off of it, I guarantee you the prices of everything would go down because of competition.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
LOL, are you kidding me?

The cost of healthcare in the US is atrocious because the government is trying to control it.

If government would get their hands off of it, I guarantee you the prices of everything would go down because of competition.
Uh, no. It's not like you can shop for a bypass surgery or a coronary between hospitals like you can shop for a Toyota, Ford or VW for transportation.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:39 PM

80 posts, read 84,695 times
Wrong again.

Did you check out the link and other info in my previous post, or take the time to do some research?

The prices are kept artificially inflated *precisely because* the market is fragmented and largely unregulated (and I would argue personally that for-profit healthcare insurance is an oxymoron, but that's just my own biases showing).

Free market/private industry *unchecked* doesn't automagically result in unicorns and rainbows and fantastic great deals with low prices for everyone. More often than not it results in monopolies and oligarchy. Check your history books. Look around you.

The government is supposed to be there to work *for you*, not against you. You hired them, your tax dollars are paying their salaries. Is it not working the way you want it to? Try voting differently next time, or even better, step up and get involved yourself. Be part of the solution.

Cheers,
Surf

Quote:
LOL, are you kidding me?

Old 12-04-2017, 04:10 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,543,265 times
Quote:
Without government regulation to protect the consumer, these multi-million dollar corporations (beyond Healthcare) would take advantage of you and me. Governance has its virtues.

Government (Medicare, Medicaid, Tri-Care, VA) is one of the largest providers of insurance and healthcare services in the nation, there is no way they could possibly be hands off when it comes to healthcare.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
Wrong again.

Did you check out the link and other info in my previous post, or take the time to do some research?

The prices are kept artificially inflated *precisely because* the market is fragmented and largely unregulated (and I would argue personally that for-profit healthcare insurance is an oxymoron, but that's just my own biases showing).

Free market/private industry *unchecked* doesn't automagically result in unicorns and rainbows and fantastic great deals with low prices for everyone. More often than not it results in monopolies and oligarchy. Check your history books. Look around you.

The government is supposed to be there to work *for you*, not against you. You hired them, your tax dollars are paying their salaries. Is it not working the way you want it to? Try voting differently next time, or even better, step up and get involved yourself. Be part of the solution.

Cheers,
Surf

hey Norway buddyboy, do you know why I:

1. make 130k+ & people in Norway get taxed to death while not making $hit?
2. a cheeseburger costs $3.50 here and $20 where you live?
3. the maximum out of pocket I spend on healthcare is $1,250 / yr based on my insurance.
4. this:

No wonder your country is still living in the Dark Ages.

Honestly can't help but LMAO @ how stupid some people can be. LOL @ giving more money to the government.

How about I spend my money how I choose and you stop being an immoral thug trying to steal money from people?

I copied your quote and pasted it on a different forum and people are LOL'ing hard. Thanks.

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 12-04-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 AM

80 posts, read 84,695 times
Attacking the person doesn't make your arguments any more valid.

There is a minimum wage here, not many people "making ****". In essence, there aren't a whole lot of poor people here, because in order to survive, you need a living wage. There are no "poor areas" of town or "poor peoples shops" or class division in the same way you see in the USA. Meaning everyone has to make a certain annual salary just in order to live here. Since it's a small country, that pushes prices up in order to have the high standard across the board. Yet, everyone appears more than able to afford it, because everyone is making a decent wage.

Not sure why you mention your earnings, unless you're confusing money with happiness.

I think you have an excellent point about taxes. You see, the people in the USA saying healthcare, education, whatever should be *free* have misunderstood. It isn't free, it's paid for by all of our taxes. The more you earn, the more tax you pay, which to most people seems pretty fair, except for greedy people. They usually don't think any amount is fair. Those taxes pay for free education for everyone, up to and including grad school. They pay for free lifelong healthcare for everyone. No one is turned away because of the insurance policy they may or may not have, or the color of their skin, religion, or preferred lifestyle. They pay for free dental until you're 18 (except for braces, weirdly enough). They pay for 1 year paid maternity leave for mothers, and 3 months paid for the dad (they're talking about extending this as research indicates bonding with both parents is important in the first years of life).

Now, they don't have the biggest baddest military that can destroy the entire planet multiple times over, and I have to admit as a guy that's pretty cool with all that hardware and tech. Nor does this country have the reach that the NSA, CIA, etc. have across the world, or influence. But people are happy, unemployment hasn't been over 5% since the second world war, everyone has minimum of 5 weeks paid vacation by law (labor laws apply to everyone), and the work week in most industries is regulated to 37.5 hours, leaving a lot of free time for family, hobbies and interests. People get on with their lives and generally seem to do pretty well. Because of all that "stifling government regulation" the air and water are clean, food too, and competition happens on a (mostly) level playing field. Is it perfect? No. Is it fair? Pretty much. Does it change in response to issue brought up to improve it - for everyone? Usually. Does it change in response to special interests who want something for themselves? Rarely, but it has happened.

I have no idea what a cheeseburger costs at a fast food place, haven't been to one of those in ages. But I was at a "gourmet" burger place last week, (i.e. like Umami burger in LA), paid I think $20 for a big burger, that's pretty accurate. Although as I recall, Umami burger was about the same last time I was there. To be honest, I don't think I'd want a $3.50 burger unless it was In and Out.

Sounds like you have a sweet healthcare deal. Does it bother you that a lot of people don't? Or are you ok with that, as long as you're covered? I think this is probably the crux of the matter. Here it doesn't matter whether you're "rich" or "poor", everyone has access to the same basic services, is treated equally and fairly (yes, differences do happen, it isn't perfect, but it isn't bad). There, depending on your job, education, family, race, religion and all sorts of other things, you're either living a pretty great life, or you're in fear for your life. Either way. What kind of society does that create, what kind of citizens does that environment breed? Or do you think it doesn't affect people?

The one thing I notice in the US, is that a lot of people are afraid. For their jobs, their health, their community, their safety. Is the ideology you seem to be endorsing making that better, or worse...?

Not sure what you mean by the dark ages, I'm guessing that you haven't done your research (again).

Giving money to the government allows the government do things on behalf of the people. The government is beholden to the people, answers to the people. Bridges, roads, schools, libraries, fire departments, courts/legal system, military/defense, social services, and much more. At least that's how it's supposed to work (and does in much of Euroland). Seems in the US people are afraid of the government instead of the other way around. Wonder how that happened....

Everyone here spends their money as they choose, as in any free democratic country. No one is telling you how to spend your money, after you pay your fair share. No one is stealing money from you. Taxes aren't immoral. Immoral behavior is immoral.

Feel free to share my posts, I have no problem with that.

Cheers,
Surf

(P.s. if you want a more unbiased global ranking, have a look at the UN Human Development Report ranking, I believe Norway comes out quite well year after year. http://hdr.undp.org/)

Quote:

hey Norway buddyboy, do you know why I:

1. make 130k+ & people in Norway get taxed to death while not making $hit?
2. a cheeseburger costs $3.50 here and $20 where you live?
3. the maximum out of pocket I spend on healthcare is $1,250 / yr based on my insurance.
4. this:

No wonder your country is still living in the Dark Ages.

Honestly can't help but LMAO @ how stupid some people can be. LOL @ giving more money to the government.

How about I spend my money how I choose and you stop being an immoral thug trying to steal money from people?

I copied your quote and pasted it on a different forum and people are LOL'ing hard. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles