Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,246,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm pretty sure there was a healthy dose of this driving the OP to post this topic:
Very good point!

Old 10-08-2010, 02:46 PM

29 posts, read 59,478 times
One thing we all need more of is empathy.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:55 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,659,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You effin idiot moron!! Someone's child was abducted and getting the word out to the citizens of the city to help find the scumbag responsible for it is MUCH more important than your stupid Michelin tires special on Top Gear you were watching. WTF is wrong with you?

Im pretty sure than anyone here who is a parent would gladly love to give you an assist in leaving here by kicking you in your effin ass.
Rewind.

Thats extremely harsh for this situation. No one said that they didn't want amber alert information, but simply that it didn't pertain to him while he was watching TV. Having alerts posted on highways, where people are scanning the road for a particular vehicle is wonderful. But having the information streamed into the home, where no one is looking for anyone [other than the pizza delivery guy] isn't going to help track down a missing person.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,246,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Rewind.

Thats extremely harsh for this situation. No one said that they didn't want amber alert information, but simply that it didn't pertain to him while he was watching TV. Having alerts posted on highways, where people are scanning the road for a particular vehicle is wonderful. But having the information streamed into the home, where no one is looking for anyone [other than the pizza delivery guy] isn't going to help track down a missing person.
Huh? He (and you) said you didn't want amber alert information while you were watching TV.

I disagree that it doesn't pertain to people watching TV. Maybe you're on the way out of the house and it's the last thing you see and the dude is parked across the street from you. Maybe the next day, you see the car in question and remember it from when you were so rudely taken out of the amazing storytelling of "Two and a Half Men."

In any case, it was in bad taste to complain about your tv being interrupted for those irritating amber alerts. Hey, I love TV. I don't like it to be interrupted either. But to go on a forum specifically to complain about your TV viewing being interrupted by information about an abducted child?

There's something wrong there.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,432,831 times
I think that we all see the need for the Amber alert system. I also think that for many of us when you are watching a show chances are your not going to head out on the road and chace the guys down. Maybe some will, and good for them if they are able to help out.

I can see the point that just in case I do head out and decide to chase the bad guys that I will have at least seen the Amber alert on TV. Most of the time though if something comes up that does not pertain to what I am watching at the time, my interest is not even there but towards what I am watching. For me the alert would be lost in the airwaves of TV land.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,109,856 times
Perhaps the Amber alert on your TV set is a good thing. Let's say you step outside into your front yard for a moment and you happen to see the vehicle or persons being sought across the street or next door! It could happen! It's just a good idea to disseminate the Amber alert info in ALL forms of media because you just never know when, where, or how it will help save a life.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 PM

749 posts, read 1,867,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You effin idiot moron!! Someone's child was abducted and getting the word out to the citizens of the city to help find the scumbag responsible for it is MUCH more important than your stupid Michelin tires special on Top Gear you were watching. WTF is wrong with you?

Im pretty sure than anyone here who is a parent would gladly love to give you an assist in leaving here by kicking you in your effin ass.
LaoTzuMindFu: Great post. I agree 100%.

The OP's racist, anti-semitic affiliations are well known. That he is dumping on amber alerts b/c he associates them with "Spanish speaking" kids comes as no surprise.

See this link to the holocaust denial group he has listed under his C-D user name:
Voice of Reason Broadcast Network

To the OP: Can't wait for you to get the heck out of town!!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:08 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,243,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
LaoTzuMindFu: Great post. I agree 100%.

The OP's racist, anti-semitic affiliations are well known. That he is dumping on amber alerts b/c he associates them with "Spanish speaking" kids comes as no surprise.

See this link to the holocaust denial group he has listed under his C-D user name:
Voice of Reason Broadcast Network

To the OP: Can't wait for you to get the heck out of town!!
As I stated in the original post, it's very common for people to be abducted within the culture of Mexico, so as demographics continue to change in Southern California, more and more people will be abducted, and hence we'll have more and more interruptions on television and radio. As I stated, it's one more aggravation and reason to want to move away from Southern CA.

As for you not being able to wait for me to get out of town, that's a fairly naive comment to make, as I add value to this city, rather than detract from it. I'm the sort of person people want to have in their neighborhoods, rather than the sort that causes people to roll up their windows and lock their doors.

I'll send you a postcard from Montana...though here's hoping most people from CA don't follow me there....

Old 10-09-2010, 06:00 AM

749 posts, read 1,867,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post

As for you not being able to wait for me to get out of town, that's a fairly naive comment to make, as I add value to this city, rather than detract from it. I'm the sort of person people want to have in their neighborhoods, rather than the sort that causes people to roll up their windows and lock their doors.

I'll send you a postcard from Montana...though here's hoping most people from CA don't follow me there....

Yes, I am sure that Adolf Hitler and David Duke would love to have you as their neighbor.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:35 AM

12,973 posts, read 34,030,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
As I stated in the original post, it's very common for people to be abducted within the culture of Mexico......
Well, this isnt Mexico. This is Los Angeles, and we care about what is going on with our fellow Angelenos, especially the children. ALL CHILDREN!!! Be they white, black, hispanic, Armenican, Persian, Indian, Pakistani, Asian, etc. When they live in our neighborhoods/communities they are part of US!!! Amber Alerts are a good thing to get word out TO AS MANY AS POSSIBLE that someone's child has been abducted. In my opinion, if a child is in danger, NOTHING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HELPING THAT CHILD. NOTHING!!!

Ever hear of the term love thy neighbor? I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles