Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 03:38 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,583,534 times

Advertisements

I've always been very curious about the Los Angeles lifestyle, but is it really like what the show portrays?: affordable, large, posh apartments and deluxe restaurants all over the place. Give me some info, residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,732,840 times
Never seen the show. But to live nice here you need to bring in at least $5k+/mo income and Id say thats AFTER taxes.
I make double min. wage and 2 weeks pay check barely would cover rent in a crap apartment. I gotta eat and pay car insurance too.
Do the math.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
Never seen the show. But to live nice here you need to bring in at least $5k+/mo income and Id say thats AFTER taxes.
I make double min. wage and 2 weeks pay check barely would cover rent in a crap apartment. I gotta eat and pay car insurance too.
Do the math.
Wow, really?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:40 PM

196 posts, read 1,237,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I've always been very curious about the Los Angeles lifestyle, but is it really like what the show portrays?: affordable, large, posh apartments and deluxe restaurants all over the place. Give me some info, residents.
Yes, it is all over the place the show is filmed, theres other side of Los Angeles that also is shown by filming industry, and other one that TV and shows dont wanna film here again anymore, the middle-american life that still happens in many suburbs. You can find that kind of life The Hills shows in many areas of Los Angeles westside, Peninsula, some parts of the Valley, Pasadena, the OC and South Bay, you can find a dark side of Los Angeles in many areas south and east and in the Valley, you can find white american suburbs all around...but TV and films try to show a polarized look about LA, the best and the wors of America, but Los Angeles is much more TV shows.

If you wanna try The Hills lifestyle you can spend a couple of weeks here, move around Santa Monica east forward Wilshire up to the Hills down to the basin again and up to the Studios,go down again and take a freeway to Peninsula (dont stop in between!!!) back again Westside through South Bay, take other freeway to Malibu through Bel Air canyons, pass the west end of the Valley, through Calabasas and Westlake village, down through Topanga, and you had run 100 miles through The Hills lifestyle.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,732,840 times
yea, I mean think about it...$100/day is not a lot of money to live a glam life as these shows portray. So thats already $700/week. $2800/month. Plus figure in $2000/mo for a place. My estimate was probably too low. More like $7500+/month.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,055,262 times
I've never seen this show, but I have to say that rarely do people live the way stories on TV portray. If they did, they wouldn't be interesting.

Even reality TV is far different from most people's "real" lives. Reality TV takes us into the lives of living caricatures: the complete hillbilly, the OC housewife, the freaky granola-crunching person who speaks to trees, the quivering drug addict in dire need of an intervention, a stranger who has decided she wants to marry a millionaire, a dwarf, a donkey or her own cousin, etc., etc.

You generally will see people living either far better or far worse than you on TV.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:34 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,213,176 times
Quote:
Where are you from?!! You have to be kidding me with this question? Do you not watch the news or read newspapers? Los Angeles is one of the top three most expensive cities in the country. TV is not reality even though it is a reality show. The show pays for what you see. The girls come from wealthy Laguna Beach families. They did not go to college, but instead make their living having their stupid lives filmed doing nothing of importance. Their jobs pay s--t because they are interns. Come on!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Where are you from?!! You have to be kidding me with this question? Do you not watch the news or read newspapers? Los Angeles is one of the top three most expensive cities in the country. TV is not reality even though it is a reality show. The show pays for what you see. The girls come from wealthy Laguna Beach families. They did not go to college, but instead make their living having their stupid lives filmed doing nothing of importance. Their jobs pay s--t because they are interns. Come on!!!!!!
I'm from Houston and no I don't really watch news outside of the state, except for the presidential races. And no I'm not kidding you with the question, and it's not that serious...calm down

Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM

465 posts, read 2,428,485 times
Quote:
I watch "The Hills" pretty regularly. I've been to L.A. a good number of times, and have done my homework about the economy and cost of living in L.A., and California in general. I lived in Sacramento for a short time also. Think about what you're asking: Those girls moved there from Laguna Beach (wealthy area) to come to L.A. to "pursue their dreams", the only difference is, unlike others there struggling to make their dreams come true, living out of their cars, eating peanut butter sandwhiches everyday, and if they have a ratty apartment, hoping they can make their rent, these girls have the backing of their parents millions.

There's no real risk or struggle involved for them. They drive expensive cars, live in the best areas, and do internships at places like Epic records and Teen Vogue, stay on the party scene, and mommy and daddy foot the bill. I believe one girl at teen Vogue from the cast has been there 5 years, and just recently got offered a paying position. Who else could afford to stay in L.A. for 5 years doing an internship, with no other job? Exactly. I'm not even from L.A., and I know for sure that show is not a typical L.A. lifestyle, and definetly not the real world!!

Old 04-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I watch "The Hills" pretty regularly. I've been to L.A. a good number of times, and have done my homework about the economy and cost of living in L.A., and California in general. I lived in Sacramento for a short time also. Think about what you're asking: Those girls moved there from Laguna Beach (wealthy area) to come to L.A. to "pursue their dreams", the only difference is, unlike others there struggling to make their dreams come true, living out of their cars, eating peanut butter sandwhiches everyday, and if they have a ratty apartment, hoping they can make their rent, these girls have the backing of their parents millions.

There's no real risk or struggle involved for them. They drive expensive cars, live in the best areas, and do internships at places like Epic records and Teen Vogue, stay on the party scene, and mommy and daddy foot the bill. I believe one girl at teen Vogue from the cast has been there 5 years, and just recently got offered a paying position. Who else could afford to stay in L.A. for 5 years doing an internship, with no other job? Exactly. I'm not even from L.A., and I know for sure that show is not a typical L.A. lifestyle, and definetly not the real world!!
This is way off topic, but I hate Spencer lol...thanks for the info though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles