Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,409,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
It's hard to feel bad for the people in LA, when y'all don't have horrible humidity levels.

Here in SC, I've seen it reach 108-110 on the thermostat and us have extremely high humidity levels.

The other day it was 93 in the evening... and then it started pouring rain. The streets were steaming and it was like a sauna.

I've been in the Egyptian desert and it didn't feel as hot as SC.

Oh well. I do hope that your weather calms down! 110 is still hot. Humidity or not.

And I'm sorry... but humidity SUCKS. You don't know what you're asking for. Honestly. I've been in dry 100+ degree weather and nothing is worse than a hot 90+ humidity. At least that's my opinion.... I'd take the dry heat over the humidity any day.
You are certainly correct in my opinion. It was dangerously hot the other day and some people ended up in the hospital because they did not stay inside. A movie editor died hiking in the Hollywood Hills w\ her dog from heat stoke but that was senseless if she had just postponed her hiking for another day. In 2006 a very bad heat wave hit California and many old people died when air conditioners broke down or power outages occurred. That was also a very humid heat spell that is not common in California. The worst heat this week occurred during low humidity so for most people it wasn't that bad outside so long as you stayed in the shade. Now it has turned a bit humid and cloudy but the heat is certainly bearable.

I've been to Miami and San Juan Puerto Rico during summer; believe me I know what humidity is like and much prefer the dry heat common to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,478 times
We did get some rain where I am. Finally there is something different to break up the hot and dry spells. Too much of any one extreme isn't good. Too much hot and dry with no rain is no good because that leads to droughts not to mention dried skin and possible nosebleeds. I've been fortunate to avoid those here in LA. On the other hand, too much heat + humidity isn't ideal either because you really sweat and that can get old too. Thank God we don't have South Florida's weather. That's the worst weather to experience.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:02 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,187,324 times
There's heat lightning here right now! This weather is amazing!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:13 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,996,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
It's hard to feel bad for the people in LA, when y'all don't have horrible humidity levels.
If you have no cooling and are susceptible, extreme hot is hot, no matter what the RH is. Don't feel bad for me, as I was inside this cool, dim house with a couple of massive 240 volt Amanas chugging away. Even my dog didn't want to go outside, and she spent the first 4 years of her life as an outside dog in the Mojave Desert.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A movie editor died hiking in the Hollywood Hills w\ her dog from heat stoke but that was senseless if she had just postponed her hiking for another day.
I'm thinking she was one of those people who are addicted to exercise, to the point where it trumps common sense.

At least her loyal Lab didn't leave her body.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,409,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm thinking she was one of those people who are addicted to exercise, to the point where it trumps common sense.

At least her loyal Lab didn't leave her body.
I know it; dogs are a person's best friend!

There was lightning and thunder for several hours last night but not one drop of rain in Pasadena! Maybe it will rain tonight according to the weather report.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM

Hence the red flag warnings for dry lighting fires.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:45 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,187,324 times
Big thunderstorms here in SD! Really awesome!

Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM

24,516 posts, read 33,357,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
Big thunderstorms here in SD! Really awesome!
No T-storm action anywhere near here. But there are some thunderheads to the northeast.

There is talk of Santa Ana winds next week.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,597,850 times
It got up to 117 this past July here in Las Vegas. A few days later my girlfriend and I went to visit her family and friends who live in West Hills and Canoga Park, it was MUCH cooler, 80s compared to 117. Malibu was in the 60s

I would expect 110's in the San Fernando Valley but never down in the city

I have heard it can get up to 90 degrees in January as well. Is that true?

I am originally from Orlando, FL where its 90+ and humid from April to October. Ill take dry over humid any day. But anything about 110 is just HOT, humid or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles