Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,455,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Anybody else get a nosebleed from the heat? Both me and my spouse did...
Same here but only a little nosebleed. What causes nosebleeds during hot weather? Tonight is just as bad as last night and still well above 90F; looks like another all-nighter with AC. Now the weather people are saying it will get humid with moisture moving up into California from Mexico so tomorrow may be downright miserable. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 10:32 PM

107 posts, read 198,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
yes but the ocean is still 62
Surely when it's 100 degrees outside the 62-degree water feels good. Am I crazy?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM

16,805 posts, read 40,121,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mresort View Post

I was kind of surprised that the NWS didn't even issue an excessive heat warning (or a heat advisory).
They did. The first advisories started mid-week last week, then ramped up to warnings by Saturday. They saw this coming.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
They did. The first advisories started mid-week last week, then ramped up to warnings by Saturday. They saw this coming.
Dallas Raines on Channel 7 was predicting this heatwave since last week but I think the intensity of the heat was beyond what most forecasters saw coming. But we get heatwaves every September and also in October. It always seems that Halloween is hot. What I am surprised about is that there have not been any big fires today. There was a brush fire around Thousand Oaks but nothing too bad. I guess we should be grateful that the winds haven't been high but the "santa anas" really don't get going until next month.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 PM

8,494 posts, read 13,613,097 times
You guys cracked me up! It hits 113 for a day or two and it become a crisis in So Cal. I guess living couple of years in Phoenix built my heat tolerance.
I like it cool at night but even at 85+ degrees in my apartment that has no AC, I will be okay with a dingy desk fan that creates more noise than wind!

I kinda enjoyed this freaky heat waves since it has been a relatively cool, gloomy Summer overall and this heat wave will probably end before we hit October.

I had no nose bleeds, just a swamp.ss!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You guys cracked me up! It hits 113 for a day or two and it become a crisis in So Cal. I guess living couple of years in Phoenix built my heat tolerance.
I like it cool at night but even at 85+ degrees in my apartment that has no AC, I will be okay with a dingy desk fan that creates more noise than wind!

I kinda enjoyed this freaky heat waves since it has been a relatively cool, gloomy Summer overall and this heat wave will probably end before we hit October.

Anything above 110F can be dangerous but not so much from the heat since it is very dry. The danger are wildfires.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,919,307 times
It is the curse of us folks in SCV. 108 today in Santa Clarita, I didn't believe we were actually "cooler" than Downtown.

I kept checking South Orange county temps, not much better either.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 PM

177 posts, read 358,598 times
Quote:

If it snows in Phoenix (even 0.5 inches), it becomes a crisis too.
Those guys from the East Coast will say, "Oh, you guys cracked me up!"

I actually live in Las Vegas. Two years ago we had a snow storm which dropped 3 inches of snow on the ground. We called that blizzard. LOL.

Last edited by mresort; 09-28-2010 at 12:04 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:00 AM

24,543 posts, read 33,464,978 times
Quote:

Many of the older homes in Los Angeles (and Hollywood) don't have air conditioning and the residents are not used to 100+ degrees temperatures. It can be downright dangerous for the elderly.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:33 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,607,674 times
Heat waves have killed more people than any other disaster (tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning, etc.). Many elderly people either live in homes that never had air conditioning or they're living on a fixed income and can't afford to run their a/c. That's when you read stories like this:

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

700 people died in the 1995 Chicago heat wave!

2006 North American heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the 2006 heat wave, 164 people died in California.

If you have elderly friends or relatives, please check on them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles