Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 PM

17 posts, read 21,492 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone posted these articles. There is a very strong demand for housing Downtown and it's not letting up anytime soon:

"With few properties on the market, prices of new downtown Los Angeles condominiums rose 15% in January compared with the same period a year ago."

Prices of new downtown condos hit $607 per square foot in January - latimes.com

The Most and Least Expensive Downtown Lofts of 2013 - State O' The Market - Curbed LA

2,800 People Are Interested In 68 New Barker Block Condos - DevelopmentWatch - Curbed LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM

546 posts, read 818,764 times
The 2,800 "interest" list is clearly inflated. If you read the comments to the story there are people on the interest list from years ago when the development was first proposed. Yeah, there are still a lot of people interested. But with roughly 5,000 apartments planned or under construction the condo supply could change very quickly.

I am sure many of the apartments under construction have condo maps which will allow the developer/owners to sell the units when they hit the market (if they decide the return is favorable enough).

Old 03-04-2014, 10:33 AM

925 posts, read 1,335,227 times
Its good that more housing is being created w the idea of this "demand" .Hopefully it will help lower the cost of housing either it being rent or selling price

Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,807,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
The 2,800 "interest" list is clearly inflated.
I remember when the Prius was oversold and the news would report dealers had huge waiting list The reality was, you could go to another dealership that didn't use waiting list and just buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Its good that more housing is being created w the idea of this "demand" .Hopefully it will help lower the cost of housing either it being rent or selling price
Cost go down, doubtful, there is clearly too much demand and too much supply of money.

I'll leave buying in DTLA to the superstar SINK and DINK transplants that can afford it.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,495,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
The 2,800 "interest" list is clearly inflated. If you read the comments to the story there are people on the interest list from years ago when the development was first proposed. Yeah, there are still a lot of people interested. But with roughly 5,000 apartments planned or under construction the condo supply could change very quickly.

I am sure many of the apartments under construction have condo maps which will allow the developer/owners to sell the units when they hit the market (if they decide the return is favorable enough).
Yeah and interest doesn't mean they are preapproved/able to pay. The developers/brokers are using sites to create more of a frenzy for their product.

It's obvious there is a lot of real interest in living DTLA . I don't think prices will go down even with more building, because there is demand.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM

360 posts, read 713,458 times
I would love to live down there. But the time to buy was 5 years ago. Prices are comparable to Westside now.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,495,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I would love to live down there. But the time to buy was 5 years ago. Prices are comparable to Westside now.
Yes, the 'deals' were definitely years ago. It's still possible properties could appreciate more though. But the people that bought when prices were lower already have their profits locked in.

I don't view most of L.A having much 'upside' for appreciation at these levels though.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM

360 posts, read 713,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes, the 'deals' were definitely years ago. It's still possible properties could appreciate more though. But the people that bought when prices were lower already have their profits locked in.

I don't view most of L.A having much 'upside' for appreciation at these levels though.
Agreed. The problem I have, as a potential buyer, is that a 1000 sq/ ft condo selling in downtown for $599,000 is also selling for the same sq. ft by the beach for $599,000.

Which location will continue to hold it's value over the next 10, 20 or 30 years? Beach front property will always be valuable. Downtown might decline in 20 years.

Who knows...

Old 03-04-2014, 03:40 PM

925 posts, read 1,335,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I remember when the Prius was oversold and the news would report dealers had huge waiting list The reality was, you could go to another dealership that didn't use waiting list and just buy one.

Cost go down, doubtful, there is clearly too much demand and too much supply of money.

I'll leave buying in DTLA to the superstar SINK and DINK transplants that can afford it.

You are prob right, there is too much supply of money. If not from us residents, then its the money from overseas.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:50 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,807,236 times
Relocation packaged, col adjustments, it is not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles