Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 04:13 PM

26 posts, read 44,298 times

Advertisements

I work in the heart of Downtown. Maybe because I've been here for over 25 years, I can't even imagine anyone wanting to live here. I would opt for Santa Monica over DTLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 04:50 PM

4,539 posts, read 10,655,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucedblonde View Post
I work in the heart of Downtown. Maybe because I've been here for over 25 years, I can't even imagine anyone wanting to live here. I would opt for Santa Monica over DTLA.
This line of thinking is done with and been proven invalid.

I agree though that prices are going to stall or even pull back some at current levels, esp with units being built.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,544,619 times
It's hard to say for sure...I definitely see DTLA being more appealing or becoming more appealing for rich domestic or foreign buyer with money. Perhaps not yet at "Manhattan" level..but it seems to be going in that direction.

Owning a loft or condo in DTLA will be more of a status symbol.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:56 PM

546 posts, read 819,980 times
Quote:
I'd much rather live in downtown LA than in Yuicapa.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:02 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,613,537 times
The problem is the HOA monthly fees, they were well over $500/month a few years ago, might be close to $1,000/month now, plus property taxes means a very high monthly expenses. Does anyone know what the typical HOA might be these days for new construction downtown?

Last edited by fumbling; 03-04-2014 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
The problem is the HOA monthly fees, they were well over $500/month a few years ago, might be close to $1,000/month now, plus property taxes means a very high monthly expenses. Does anyone know what the typical HOA might be these days for new construction downtown?
I think it's more in the $500 to $700 or so range (depending on size of the unit of course) for recently built projects. Unless you are talking about units at the Ritz Carlton or something like that.

Most people will roll their taxes into the mortgage payment. The adaptive reuse buildings have HOAs in the $350 to $450 or so range (parking not included of course).

If parking is not included then you'd have to add $150 per parking space. But I think most new (ground up) construction will inclde parking (that is owned by the HOA, etc).

Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM

26 posts, read 44,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
At least I have a beautiful view of the mountains and the air is clean. Don't knock it till you tried it.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
At least I have a beautiful view of the mountains and the air is clean. Don't knock it till you tried it.
Well, if you like living in Yucaipa you probably aren't much of a city person anyway.

But the following is a quote from the City of Yucaipa General Plan:

"The air quality in the City of Yucaipa results from a unique combination of factors. Air flow patterns and emission sources, both local and those located throughout the region, result in some of the worst air quality in the nation....The Yucaipa area sometimes exceeds state and federal air quality standards for ozone and particulate matter...The Yucaipa area sometimes records the most severe violations of air quality standards for ozone and particulate matter in the summer months relative to the rest of the air basin".

Probably better than other parts of the IE but it's still the IE....

Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 PM

17 posts, read 21,528 times
Quote:
Seriously? I'm not sure where you work, but maybe you should wander out of your office building/parking garage and see all the improvements happening around the city. The amazing new restaurants, old architecture being restored, new retailers, new urban planning etc...

Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,819,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
]
Owning a loft or condo in DTLA will be more of a status symbol.
Then put me on the list, make it 2801 people on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
I never though I'd see a Yuicapa/DTLA city versus city battle. DTLA vs Santa Monica I can see, but Yuicapa?

For those who actually live in DTLA, Do you walk everywhere, does DTLA have everything now, besides Costco do you, what places do you need to drive to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles