Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,046,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Today broke the all-time record hot temperature for Los Angeles at 113F [the old record was 112F in June 1990].
Apparently, it was cooler in Las Vegas (100) and Riverside (110)! This is just plain weird ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 12:46 AM

8,344 posts, read 13,490,429 times
I didn't mean to be insensitive towards the elderly. I do agree excessive heat is very dangerous (much like my jokes) but I kind of find it interesting that elderly seems to be less tolerant to heat yet Arizona is full of retired old people so what gives?

I personally prefer a little colder over a little hotter because you can always put on clothes, a hot babe etc. and warm up but when it is too hot even when you are pretty much butt-naked, then what do you do?

I am currently in my undies and drinking and I took some melatonin too but I doubt I will manage to get decent sleep tonight as it is still in the mid 80s in my bedroom.....crazy! I am thinking about sleeping in the bathtub full of cool water. I am just scared of going back in time to 80s by spilling my drink on the fan.,,,...

Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 AM

977 posts, read 1,959,315 times
Hotter out there than here. And I thought our September had been hot...

Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,237 times
Ya... Its very too high

Old 09-28-2010, 06:15 AM

16,806 posts, read 40,000,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I didn't mean to be insensitive towards the elderly. I do agree excessive heat is very dangerous (much like my jokes) but I kind of find it interesting that elderly seems to be less tolerant to heat yet Arizona is full of retired old people so what gives?
Surely you can't be this dense. Please tell me you're not.

In case you are, I'll thumbnail it for you: if you live in Phoenix, high temps are the norm and the elderly residents are prepared to deal with it by using their air conditioning. People who live in places that don't get hot aren't prepared for the temps of the past few days where the coast has been hotter than the Mojave Desert and inland valleys. That's when the old people die. Because many of them don't have AC.

Entiendes?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:49 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,567,164 times
TurcoLoco, in addition to what Fontucky said, it's a given that so many elderly live in Arizona (and the low deserts of California) because housing is cheaper there than it is along the coast. Even during a recession, beach housing retains its value better than other places simply due to the location.

Also, many elderly in Phoenix came from the snow belt states in the east, and they moved there because of the adage "you can't shovel sunshine" (in other words, they're sick and tired of shoveling snow). They put up with the blistering hot summers in order to enjoy the temperate winters.

And to get back on topic, it's 76 degrees right now - at 5:50 a.m.; the sun hasn't even peeked over the horizon yet!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM

177 posts, read 357,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Apparently, it was cooler in Las Vegas (100) and Riverside (110)! This is just plain weird ...
When we get closer to winter months, it is always cooler in Las Vegas than Los Angeles.
In late December, the average high for Las Vegas is 55 degrees vs. 67 degrees for Los Angeles.

I have lived in both places. Las Vegas is a bit colder than LA in winter (especially when the north wind picks up).

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 AM

8,344 posts, read 13,490,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Surely you can't be this dense. Please tell me you're not.
Don't call me Shirley! And yes, I can be that dense.

But with I already knew that the properties rental or otherwise are equipped with proper stuff to handle the cooling/heating needs of people.
Actually, those who don't like the excessive heat for whatever reasons, typically hightail it to another, cooler state before June and do not return until like middle of October.
However, there were some that would stay for Summers and when everyone else was staying indoors or rushing from their vehicles to the stores, I would see them walking around and out shopping, sitting outside in front of a coffee shop or bookstore. I even heard many of them say they enjoy the excessive heat so your explanations.[/quote]

Quote:
Entiendes?
Me no comprehendo Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
TurcoLoco, in addition to what Fontucky said, it's a given that so many elderly live in Arizona....
I love it when you all gang up on someone (especially me!) I was aware of all that and again my comments were not for the elderly, I do not know why you all felt the need to take this turn.

But since I am getting the heat for it I might as well say this; if it can get too hot and your home is missing an AC unit then you go buy a fan or spend a few hundred and get a portable AC unit, no? After all this heat wave didn't come out of nowhere like a twister, anyone following the news/weather forecast anticipated the high temperatures and the duration.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
Default Nosebleeds in Hot Weather

Blood vessels widen and narrow due to body temperature. For example, if your body is hot, blood vessels will widen to get more blood closer to the outer layer of the skin to release some heat. As the delicate blood vessels in the nasal cavity expand in the heat, they can cause a nosebleed.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,963,936 times
What cracks me up is how LA people panick when it rains, like how people in the South panick when it snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles