Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM

874 posts, read 2,881,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I disagree... legalizing marijuana would generate lots of revenue and make a significant difference. It's no more complex to manage from a government perspective then alcohol. Buy big trucks to haul the money.

However... besides the ethical debate, which is likely to never resolve itself. The main problem is that you're redirecting large amounts of money away from the private sector and powerful people don't like parting with their money. Entire corporations are built around providing privatized prisons and billing our government... who fills these prisons? Non-violent drug offenders.

When a company stock depends solely on prison population, some people want people continuing to be sent to prison.

High Stakes: A Call to Legalize Marijuana - CBS Sunday Morning - CBS News

Legal Pot Would Bring in $1.4B for Calif. - CBS News
Again; marijuana possession and dealing carries little to no jail time in New York. I am sure it is the same throughout most of the country. Saying that non-violent marijuana dealers are crowding the prisons is simply not true. The dealers and users that may be going to prison and crowding it would be heroine, cocaine/crack, meth, etc. users and dealers. Should we legalize these drugs so we do not crowd the prisons?

Auto larceny is usually done by non violent criminals; perhaps we should make the sentence less than it already is (which is very little to no jail time throughout most of the country unless you get caught a number of times)? There are many other non-violent crimes as well. Just because something is not violent does not mean the person doing it is not a filth bag.

The MAJORITY (not all) of prisons are state run so I do not know where you are getting that corporations are making big money off of them from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM

4,514 posts, read 9,728,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
This is a very rare occurrence especially if you are talking about someone selling marijuana. Marijuana carries extremely lenient sentences. To get a felony charge you need a number of pounds. The drug dealers know this and know not to keep that much on their property at one time. Do you really think that someone selling marijuana whom gets very little jail time is really going to look to kill the person he thinks "ratted him out" in which case when he gets caught he gets to do life?
Well yes if it's like in the Bronx yeah. I do not know how Long Island dealers react to snitching so I do not know.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well yes if it's like in the Bronx yeah. I do not know how Long Island dealers react to snitching so I do not know.
I spent the majority of my career as a police officer in an extremely bad crime area in Brooklyn. I spent my first four years in Harlem and Washington Heights. The only real "snitch" type of killings that took place were those that snitched on someone in their own group or someone from a rival gang or a rival drug dealer that gave each other up.

The majority of low level drug dealers on the street are just punks and they do not want to do big jail time such as that which comes with murder. They would all like to lead people to believe they would though.

Now; the people who run these drug gangs and the people who supply them are a different story. These people do not mess with the average person calling the police either though. These people tend to put themselves in the position where the only people that really can rat them out are the people they supply. These same people also tend to not want the "heat" which comes from going after someone whom lives in the neighborhood that calls the police.

I will also tell you that the vast majority of even the toughest criminals that people would never think would give somebody up tend to start singing as soon as they are facing serious jail time. I did plain clothes in the anti-crime unit within the precinct I worked at in Brooklyn and I can't even tell you the amount of search warrants that were done from people giving each other up for reduced charges or sentences.

Of course, there are always a few exceptions but for the most part this is all true and a low level dealer will talk a much bigger game then they will actually do. The ones that are not just talk are not low level drug dealers for long. Drug gangs are like many other gangs and there are many different positions.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM

15 posts, read 63,378 times
Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 PM

40 posts, read 267,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Arguing with someone who sounds like they have no real experience in the subject makes it almost impossible to get your point across.
i don't smoke it, and it exactly people like me that you need to convince that weed should be legalized because i can't understand why people need to smoke it, why do we need to spend valuable gov't time on it, just so you could relaxed? there are nothing else you could do that will help you relax?

i don't agree with every law, but i don't see a problem with restricting marijuana use, just don't smoke it, that not hard to do is it?

Quote:
I do not know, why are you against it? You are in the part of society that is against marijuana(becoming smaller by the day) so I am interested to hear your reasoning.
didn't i state early that we don't need another drug legalized when we have enough problem with cigarettes and alcohol.

you really need to stop smoking it if you forgotten already.

why don't you just answer the question, or admitted that you were wrong in your argument.

Quote:
Many thought Obama would be pushing for legalization. Look at the most commonly submitted questions when he ask for them; Will you legalize Marijuana? Can we tax marijuana to cover udget shortfalls? Now, he wont legalize, in his first term at least, because it would be political suicide amongst people like yourself. When Thomas Jefferson was alive there was no such thing as the DEA, and it certainly was not illegal.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...6_obama27.html

you forget to mention that "legalization was most commonly submitted questions when he ask for them" was because people like you "mounted a drive to rack up votes for the question"

and his answer was a 'NO' fellow with a laugh

stop trying to pretending that there are a mass of people wanting to legalized it

Quote:
A quick look back would show that Marijuana and Hemp played a integral role in American history.
Slavery was a big thing back then too, you want to bring that back?

Quote:
How would I know what the man does?
im sure he doesn’t waste his time smoking weed

Quote:
Your right. He wouldnt do it while training I suppose(more so that its banned than about performance. I would imagine he would smoke every now and again)

Im almost positive that wasn't his first time smoking when he was photographed. Based off of most of what you have been saying, if you met him when he was say, Ohh 16, you would have thought he was just a loser stoner who spent to much time in the pool.
Listen don’t go impaling to people Phelps smoke pot and he still win gold,
because if he keep smoking it, he not going to win any next time around

Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,627 times
They do it for cash so take their money!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 PM

939 posts, read 2,688,444 times
Short & to the point, only a totally clueless, head in the sand moron would be against legalizing marijuana. The ones against legalizing it are usually the ones who've never tried it.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Short & to the point, only a totally clueless, head in the sand moron would be against legalizing marijuana. The ones against legalizing it are usually the ones who've never tried it.
Of course people that use it are going to want it to be legal. Ask a heroine user if heroine should be legal and he or she will tell you that only a totally clueless, head in the sand moron would be against legalizing heroine.

Those of us whom are against legalizing it feel that the only people whom are for legalizing it are those who use it. Again; grow up and realize that if you need it to feel good that you are obviously lacking something in your life if you simply can't feel good without it. If it is truly not addictive you should have no problem with not smoking it anyway.

The arguments for legalizing it are very weak anyway. "Let's legalize it to tax it." is one of my favorites. We can also legalize cocaine and tax that as well. "It is better than smoking cigarettes; less harmful." This is a good one as well. I do smoke cigarettes but should not and admit that I would like to stop but have a hard time doing so. It is quite obvious that inhaling any smoke is not going to be good for someone whether it is cigarette smoke or smoke from a "joint". "It is a stress reliever." So get a productive hobby. I work on my 1968 Newport and build car models to relieve stress. Much more productive than smoking a joint and laughing at nothing.

How many people would still buy marijuana illegally if they feel they can't get the same high without the chemical additives that are added to the marijuana sold on the streets today? How many people would start driving their car while smoking it? Don't give me that "it enhances your senses" garbage either. I have met many alcoholics whom have said they drive better when they are "buzzed" as well.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Im almost positive that wasn't his first time smoking when he was photographed. Based off of most of what you have been saying, if you met him when he was say, Ohh 16, you would have thought he was just a loser stoner who spent to much time in the pool.
No; I think he is a loser stoner whom just has not grown up yet. Alex Rodriguez, Barry Bonds and numerous others have done much better in baseball using steroids. Perhaps we should sell it over the counter and all use it? Again; these arguments are weak and are just people trying to justify their own marijuana use.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:01 PM

40 posts, read 267,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
did't Bill Clinton and Obama try it and they don't want it legalize,
do you think they are clueless?
may be you need to rethink your augment

why don't you come up with something better to say, then calling people names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island