Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM

532 posts, read 1,271,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I personally think that legalizing marijuana is ridiculous. It is USUALLY (not always) a stepping stone on the way to other drugs. It does kill many brain cells as well. I smoke cigarettes and wish they were illegal when I began because now I have a hard time quitting and if they were illegal when I was younger I would not have started.

For the topic of the drug dealing; notify the local precinct. Go there in person if you have to and politely explain the situation and ask whom you can speak to about it. More than likely they will refer you to a narcotics unit. If nothing happens right away it will be due to the fact as one other person posted that the police need to see it happening. If they decide there is something going on and they simply can't see transactions taking place they will eventually do the "buy and bust" tactic that takes time to do. They have to get someone undercover to buy and normally they need a certain amount of buys before they can take them down.
Slightly OT but would you support a bill criminalizing Cigarette sales and possession? I bet it would help you quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,056,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I personally think that legalizing marijuana is ridiculous. It is USUALLY (not always) a stepping stone on the way to other drugs. It does kill many brain cells as well. I smoke cigarettes and wish they were illegal when I began because now I have a hard time quitting and if they were illegal when I was younger I would not have started.
The real gateway drug is alcohol. it USUALLY (not always) leads to other drugs, like cigarettes, prescription drugs, etc, ad infinitum. The 80's are over, and so the slogans used back then should be retired.

Cigarettes probably were illegal when you started..illegal for you to smoke as a teenager. That didn't stop you. So you have a vice that harms you but you partake in anyway...however, no one comes and pulls you out of your home, and the guy next door downs a 12 pack every Saturday also and no cops come and break his door down. However, somebody grows some pot and smokes it and they go to jail, now they can't get a job because they've been convicted of a crime, so now they get into more crime.

The system has TURNED pot into a gateway drug because it is criminal. I know guys who smoke pot everyday that run successful businesses. I know a guy who takes cocaine every weekend, and sometimes weekdays, who shows up to work every day and makes 6 figures as an art manager for a corporation. It depends on the person. By all objective standards, marijuana is a relatively harmless drug, much more so than alcohol.

And no, I don't smoke pot...I've never smoked anything.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanner View Post
i don't know the answer, and i don't knew how you are so sure, but if i have to make a guess i would disagree with you.

what about my other questions?
How am I sure? Because I know pot heads and I know alcoholics. Look at 2 people the same age, one who smokes weed twice a day, and one who drinks a case of beer every day. Look at how they age, look at who crashes cars or gets their teeth knocked out in fights. The pot head fares much better. Pot is not linked with violence, alcohol is.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanner View Post
going to the movie is not illegal.
could be constructive to some people, they could watch a movie write a review, post to their blog, make money from ADs or affiliate <- nothing illegal there

doing something constructive don't mean writing the next best selling novel, the way i see it, its positive for yourself, people around you or society.

so smoking weed is enjoyable, but their are many other thing people could do that are enjoyable and not illegal, so why do people still choose to smoke weed?

i not a doctor but if i have to guess weed is not going to improve Michael Phelps lungs, he is hurting himself and the people around him
I could drink alcohol right? Wasn't there a time where that was illegal?

Obviously there are going to be people who sit around and do nothing but smoke weed. Just like there are people who just drink all day. Yet, it is perfectly acceptable to have drinks on your lunch break with your boss.

This argument can not be won. But I will bet that there are more people around you that smoke then you think. Why not ask them?

Ill tell you I like to because it makes me relaxed, makes lots of activities more enjoyable and actually have come up with some ideas that have benefited myself and others. Funny that many people I went to school with did and still do also, some of them are Doctors, a lawyer, engineer, carpenter or still going to school.

What is your definition of constructive? Also, how is he hurting himself? 8 gold medals he seems to be in pretty good shape if you ask me. The only way he "hurt" others is because society's illogical prejudiced against a plant that has enlightened some of the greatest people on Earth.

I wonder if Barak Obama is constructive? What about Bill Clinton? Thomas Jefferson?

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The real gateway drug is alcohol. it USUALLY (not always) leads to other drugs, like cigarettes, prescription drugs, etc, ad infinitum. The 80's are over, and so the slogans used back then should be retired.

Cigarettes probably were illegal when you started..illegal for you to smoke as a teenager. That didn't stop you. So you have a vice that harms you but you partake in anyway...however, no one comes and pulls you out of your home, and the guy next door downs a 12 pack every Saturday also and no cops come and break his door down. However, somebody grows some pot and smokes it and they go to jail, now they can't get a job because they've been convicted of a crime, so now they get into more crime.

The system has TURNED pot into a gateway drug because it is criminal. I know guys who smoke pot everyday that run successful businesses. I know a guy who takes cocaine every weekend, and sometimes weekdays, who shows up to work every day and makes 6 figures as an art manager for a corporation. It depends on the person. By all objective standards, marijuana is a relatively harmless drug, much more so than alcohol.

And no, I don't smoke pot...I've never smoked anything.
Thank you. Lots of people can handle drugs, but there are many who cannot. I mean, look how many people that can handle food!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:50 AM

874 posts, read 2,877,409 times
When I started smoking kids can go into any Te Amo or 7-11 and buy cigarettes without getting asked for identification. I have no qualms with making alcohol or cigarettes illegal. If cigarettes were illegal I would not be able to get them which would make it much easier for me to stop. I would not go to a person on the street and buy a pack from them illegally because this is just something I would not do.

I do not see marijuana as being any better than alcohol. The only reason alcohol and cigarettes are not banned is due to the fact of how long they have been around legally. If cigarettes and alcoholic beverages were never around and they were first introduced to the world this year, they would both be illegal as well.

If someone wants to risk having a record due to smoking marijuana that is a choice they have made and I have no sympathy for them. A person with one bag of marijuana on their person for personal use will not have a record anyway. In New York it is a criminal court summons such as disorderly conduct or a littering summons.

I am sure there are people whom snort cocaine or do heroine that show up to work each day and function socially. Does this mean that cocaine and heroine should be legal as well? Not at all. The argument that there are people whom function well in daily life whom smoke marijuana does not mean that is the norm. If someone feels they need marijuana to make them "happier" maybe they should look into changing the way they live their lives so that they are happy without smoking the stuff.

I have been around people when they have smoked marijuana and they tend to act like idiots and laugh at things that simply are not funny. The only people that think they are "fun" are the other people smoking it with them. As time goes on and people smoke it more the happy, giddy effect is a rare occurrence and they tend to just become tired and sluggish from smoking it. I do not use it myself but I had many friends that did and I was around them after they smoked it so I can say stuff about it. People whom do smoke it and would like to see it legalized are not going to let you know what asses they act like when they smoke just as people whom get bombed all of the time will not tell you all of the stupid pathetic things they regret doing while they were drunk unless they decide they are an alcoholic and want to quit and then talk about it at AA meetings.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM

815 posts, read 2,054,283 times
The person who was influential in making marijuana illegal in the US was Wm. Hearst, of newspaper fame. He was also influential in convincing American that we should fight a Spanish-American War, as well as many other morally questionable endeavors. The reason alcohol and tobacco are not banned outright has to do with this economic law: The people who are holding four ace$ NEVER ask for a new deal. I forgot whose law this is, but it certainly applies here.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,687 times
I have seen CEO's, Judges, Lawyers, Doctors, successful business owners, etc all wasted on the weekends. Some take marijuana some drink $2,000 bottles of Tequila (Barrique de Ponciano Porfidio) Whatever.......

What I would like to see is the Government take over the Marijuana trade and also legalize internet gambling. Tax it, control it and wipe out the TRILLION dollar deficit in like 2 years. After wiping out the deficit use the money for affordable heath care for all, make prescriptions affordable and wipe out homeless in this country.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I have seen CEO's, Judges, Lawyers, Doctors, successful business owners, etc all wasted on the weekends. Some take marijuana some drink $2,000 bottles of Tequila (Barrique de Ponciano Porfidio) Whatever.......

What I would like to see is the Government take over the Marijuana trade and also legalize internet gambling. Tax it, control it and wipe out the TRILLION dollar deficit in like 2 years. After wiping out the deficit use the money for affordable heath care for all, make prescriptions affordable and wipe out homeless in this country.
Friggin' liberal.

I don't agree with the govt taking over the trade, but the tax part yes. There's definitely a few billion in tax money sitting there that is instead funding drug cartels.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Friggin' liberal.

I don't agree with the govt taking over the trade, but the tax part yes. There's definitely a few billion in tax money sitting there that is instead funding drug cartels.
lol Who's going to tax it? The drug dealer on the corner Pass the Peyote bro......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island