Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,922,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I don't know how anyone can have $45 electric bill with a 3 bedroom house?? I think the surcharges and fees alone add up to $45 no?

To all those posters with the cheap bills... you guys don't use the dishwasher? Microwave? Don't charge your I-phones? What about your hot water pumps and/or fans? etc. I mean those things alone should be $80 per month.

Im assuming you all have gas for dryer and stove too.
Delivery and System Charges, and Power Supply Charges are dependent on the KWH used too ($0.08-$0.10 per KWH). The only other charges are about $3 and $10 for 30 days basic service.

What is considered cheap? I'm at $90/mo. and do all those things you named and am even home all day. We just don't use a dryer and keep the fridge on near-warmest setting. Those 2 are the bigger expenses year-round. Stove/oven/heating are gas. I can't believe some people are consistently over $200. Time to take inventory.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-13-2015 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:18 AM

6,387 posts, read 13,188,652 times
^^ How do you dry your clothes?

And not having a electric stove saves a lot more than someone with one.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 AM

765 posts, read 1,556,671 times
keep in mind that if you have forced air heat that drives up your electric bill also .

Old 01-13-2015, 10:32 AM

200 posts, read 380,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I think you meant $25 every 3 months? Ours is around $35 and in the summer months $75 for 3 months w/ IGS. I've heard of people in my town over $300 - I don't know what their deal is - we all have 100x60 lots.

No. I get my water bill like clockwork around the 17th of each month.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,018,650 times
I have forced hot water heat, tankless system. Cook with gas as well.

I'm home all day (virtual office), don't watch tv very often, refrigerator, lots of microwave use, electric washer and dryer. Computer and stuff.... constantly plugged in.

Last bill was 184 kwh.

Don't ask about summer.. with a/c.......it's awful.

But 184 is about as low as I can go.. being home. It's lower if I'm out on vacation.

They say average monthly use is around 600 kwh.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 AM

4,210 posts, read 4,118,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
keep in mind that if you have forced air heat that drives up your electric bill also .
In the winter the forced hot air electric usage in my home probably ADDS about $50 a month to my electric bill and I usually keep my thermostat 60-62 (the sun exposure usually warms up to higher temperatures). I'm still not understanding how people pay $45 a month for all electric usage.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:29 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,923,966 times
To those complaining about their high electric bill - Do Something About It!!!

Our electric bill before switching over the solar was $240, the past 12 month average monthly bill is $24.96.

Winter months pull from grid, summer months meter runs backwards...

Those thinking about solar leasing - would only recommend if you were in a long term rental contact.

For those who own their home, it is best to have it installed...

See more > https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ng-charge.html

Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM

6,387 posts, read 13,188,652 times
^^ Why would someone dump $$ and go solar when they are only paying $45 a month?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:13 PM

266 posts, read 451,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
I have four bedroom house. My monthly bill from LIPA is around $280. Just wondering what you guys are paying and trying to figure out how I can lower my bill. All my lights are LED.

All the major appliances are energy saver.

I live in Suffolk county.
Ok, you have eliminated Lights and appliances. Next logically is the heating and cooling system. If your system efficiencies, then the cost to upgrade heat/cool plants or insulate must be considered. After that its the hot water system.

Homes will typically use:
- 45-60% for heating and cooling
- 20-30% for hot water
- 8-15% for household appliances and entertainment
-5-7% for lighting.
- 1-2% for small electronics.

Pick a category action has not been taken. Then study options (or write back with detailed questions) for a specific action to take with a certain thing. For instance, adding a hot water reset on a boiler will save 15-25% easily on hot water heating, more if the boiler efficiency is rather poor. Installing an adaptive defrost control with an outdoor lock out can potentially save 40% on winter heat pump operations. 10-20 percent savings may be achieved by installing a automatic damper control of a non-inductive fan gas water heater. The choices are many but this stuff is all logic.

Saving energy is easy if knowing range of savings and cost of tech. Deciding a tech is pure economics. And one has to know where all the areas of energy control possible for a conservation tech to reside. Every aspect of every common available machine is the rock bottom without frills. That is unless informed to request energy saving features, common and uncommon.

There are thousands of available tech for most any machine. Being knowledgeable with operational mechanics is not difficult. One just need to do their homework. I have been doing this stuff for decades and I am routinely amazed at the options available to the trade that are overlooked because the trades are simply stuck in doing fast installs and pricy service. Oh well, having said that what I have concluded is replace the old with uncommon new abd bypass all the ordinary aches and pains of status quo.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:05 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,922,605 times
heating and cooling doesn't seem to affect my bill that much that there's a huge swing. We heat to 67F in the winter and don't use much AC in the summer. Here's my last 12 months, not balanced billing (obviously).

http://i.imgur.com/2SS1Q5P.jpg

I have baseboard, so maybe the forced hot air adds more, but I'd be surprised if it really affects things THAT much. It's a culmination of everything together that people are using too much of.

As for how we dry our clothes... a couple clothes racks and a clothesline in the basement and give it a couple days. It's just what we're used to anyway. The dishwasher doesn't use the dry cycle either.. it's dry the next day.

Electric stove - we had one in our old house and the bill wasn't that much different, honestly.

Last edited by ovi8; 01-13-2015 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: