Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 PM

198 posts, read 779,883 times

Advertisements

How many days is this bill for? My bill is sometimes for 30-33 days and other times it is for 60+ days. Like this past bill is for 63 days, but i do balanced billing so i check over it that it is in line with what i expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 PM

516 posts, read 1,079,110 times
Just got my LIPA bill today, I am on balanced billing of $223 a month and they read the meter every 2 months.

Usage to date $910.85
Billed to date $446
Balance due company $464.85

Total KWH usage this year 4623 (2months) Last year 3882 Ave temp this year 77 last year 77

It did seem warmer this year than last but not that much.

I have a 2 story small cape, above ground pool (timer on filter 12 hrs a day) 5 window/thru wall A/C units (1 I have not run for more than a few hours this year but the rest have been on since begining of July.

I am using over 2300 KWH a month and have mostly newer appliances compact florecent bulbs newer LED T.V.'s gas stove in a farely well insulated home. I came from an all electric house with a water source heatpump-A/C and my target KWH was 1200 a month and I rarely went over that. Well the pool gets closed this weekend and out come the Bedroom window A/c's (except mine)

Family members will have to adjust to the electric natzi cause I cannot keep this up.

I cannot wait for winter, my budget gas bill is $77 and I never go over but my electric never drops under 1000KWH a month

Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 PM

61 posts, read 178,881 times
I'm not exactly sure what my bills were this year since my house is solar but last year I was using about 1400kw and that's for a 4br 3ba split level, elec stove and in-ground pool. You need a new meter!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 AM

61 posts, read 127,770 times
The bill was for 34 days.. and the actual reading was 1262 kwh and the previous month was estimated 28 days and 443 kwh.. so while the previous month 'might've been low. I'll grant them that. but if you take both months. and add the usage and moreso the amount of the bill.. it is. 92.77 PLUS 251.07 which would make my usage for 2 months.. $354.00 .. now divide that by 2.. and its impossible that I use that my electric in a one bedroom apartment.. thats $ 177.00 a month.. Thats totally impossible

I did tell maintenance. and they 'claim' that nobody can 'hook up to the indiv meters down the basement.. We did have workers here.. doing boilers and stuff. but they also claim that they have a dedicated line (for stuff like that) so they're not attaching to our indiv meters.

I have my printout from the LIPA site(again, thanks. cause I didnt know that was available) and I plan to call again today and find out just when the new meter is being installed.

The strange thing. the woman next door. who had a bill similar to mine the previous month. This month she TOO got a huge bill .hers was I think 243.00 and the month before in the 90's as well..

So something is wrong. But what??

I'm keeping on top of this. cause while I know I have to pay this bill and I'm someone who pays the bill the second it comes in. This bill hasn't been paid 'yet'. its due on Sept 22nd. and I pay on the phone. so they can just 'wait!! LOL

Thanks again.
helene

Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM

103 posts, read 201,081 times
I think you just solved your problem. If they estimated last month's read, that means they didn't have access to your meter (and quite possibly your neighbor as well).

1262 is a logical amount for both months combined, it's possible (and probable) they deucted your current read from your actual read 2 months ago, and didn't factor in the 443 estimated that they billed you for last month.

Last edited by loveitorleaveit2012; 09-14-2012 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,911,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit2012 View Post
I think you just solved your problem. If they estimated last month's read, that means they didn't have access to your meter (and quite possibly your neighbor as well).

1262 is a logical amount for both months combined, it's possible (and probable) they deucted your current read from your actual read 2 months ago, and didn't factor in the 443 estimated that they billed you for last month.
She's saying it's 1262+443 for 2 months = $177/mo. avg, which is still high considering it's an apt. We don't even use that much in a 4 bedroom colonial. Unless her wall A/C was on 24/7. Our CAC is on only sparingly.

The fridge would be the next biggest thing. Then the washer/dryer - are those used very often?

I still say she read the meter once a day (or after 15 days) and she can avg that out to see where she'll be after 30 days.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:03 AM

Yes it was 1262 PLUS the 443.. So that is not a normal reading by any means.

I dont' have a washer dryer. we're not allowed. we have a laundry room in my complex.

Its got to be a mistake.. though they did 're-read the meter. (they said). and going over the last 3 years meter readings with the usage.. there has never EVER been a month where the reading was 1262.. Its totally crazy..

So awaiting an answer.. and very frustrated cause I know I'm still responsible to this bill and I know DA** well. its wrong. SIGH

Helene

Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 AM

LIPA was just here.. We turned off my breakers in my apt.. went down the basement.. Meter was NOTrunning.. he tested the meter. it was accurate.. Then he replaced the meter. .and it will be tested again in Hicksville (LIPA)..

So it looks like my bill is accurate.. I spoke to my super and he said alot of people are getting extremely high bills.. but mine is really extreme..

LIPA guy said. it doesnt' make any sense. He agreed.. but can only go with what he was seeing on the testing..

I have no clue what to do anymore.. if the meter is accurate then why this huge jump.. It makes no sense..

Any ideas what else could be doing it.. My a/c's are in the wall and I always clean the filters.. My fans. like I said are new. and they're energy savers .. floor fans really small . nothing elaborate.

I cook rarely and I do use the stove (top) to stir.. but i"m talking a quickie stir fry and I do use my micro. but only for about 3 minutes at best.. to heat my veggie burgers or whatever I'm eating..

I am lost as to what made this jump.. ????? SIGH

Helene

Old 09-14-2012, 09:26 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,765,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBLMSL View Post
Thank you so much. I went online and just saw my acct and have it printed out THANK YOU..

My highest bill ever was back in oct 2011 and that bill was 177.06 so that was high and the usage was 935

this bill that I have is 251.07 and the usage is 1262.. so much higher.. which makes no sense..

I was able to view bills back to 6/2010.. and my 2010 bill at this time. was only 137. with usage of 655

and my 2011 bill was 112. with usage of 550

So we're talking

usage.. . 655 (2010)

550 (2011)

and NOW.. 1262 (2012) which makes NO SENSE cause nothing I am doing is different.. same appliances. same pattern.

Have you taken this summer's heat and humidity into account? If you can find a source online to compare daily temps and humidity levels from the previous 2 years to this one, it might give your usage numbers more meaning.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM

So you think the humidity could be a factor in how the a/c's are running. maybe making them run less efficiently?? I never thought of that.

But last year. we did have a very hot summer.. and my bills weren't anywhere near that.

But maybe what you're saying does account for it.. I'm going to google.. LOL

thanks. so much. maybe ?? an answer.. I just need an answer. so I know..

Thanks again,
Helene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island