Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:06 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
First let me say THANK YOU LVD for watching my $$$ for me!!!! LOL I know I just got a job that according to you "saved me". However, it's still time for me to move. lol The owner at my condo has consistently raised my rent since I moved in and I know once my lease is up in June he will be raising it again. At the price I'm paying I can be in a house for cheaper. I am currently living on my own (with my child) without a roommate or renting a room and I don't plan to move & up my rent by thousands! lol As my mom would say "I might be some dumb but I'm not plum dumb"!!! LMBO I am going to move closer to my childs school and my job which will save me a ton on gas/time. I also plan to stay at the same amount in rent or go lower so... I think I've pretty much got it figured out. I thank you for your suggestions and concern though.
P.S. I've totally cut my expenses... we no longer have cable & my daughter no longer has a cell phone!! <gasp> Seriously you would think I stopped buying food the way my daughter is carrying on!! LOL

Moving on... so based on the suggestions it seems that area looks good but isn't the best area to live in? I do miss home, grass & trees but not enough to be robbed and holed up in my home like a prisoner! I'm not THAT homesick Buzz!! LOL I am working on getting my mom to move here next year and once that happens I will be a HAPPY camper! :-)

What's surprising to me is that I drove around in the area for several hours looking for homes for rent. I found several and called a few and the rents were $1000+ a month. I wonder why rent is it that much if the area is so bad??

I also went to the area off of Charleston near UMC and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! However the couple places I saw for rent were $1700+ for rent. LVD you don't EVEN have to warn me to MOVE ON from that!! LOL

Would all the same warnings apply to the area between Charleston/Desert Inn & Eastern/McCleod??

Just a thought. You can, of course, negotiate with your landlord. If your landlord has told you he is raising your rent, tell him in writing something like "I will be moving out at that rent level. Your competition is lower.

However, in order to minimize my own moving costs, and for you to minimize your costs in searching for another good tenant, I propose the following:

I will sign a 1 year lease extension at the rate of $XXX/mo" or something like that.

Remember: it costs you money to move, and it costs you time & effort to move. It also costs the landlord time & money & risk & uncertainty to find a new tenant.

he may be willing to compromise. There is no harm in trying. What's the worst he will say? "Nope." Then you are exactly where you are now.

Of course, be business-like in the letter. Emotion doesn't have anything to do with it.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post

I also went to the area off of Charleston near UMC and it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! However the couple places I saw for rent were $1700+ for rent. LVD you don't EVEN have to warn me to MOVE ON from that!! LOL

This would be a much better area if you like more mature homes. But remember that in older areas comes lower rents usually which attract nasty people.

Would all the same warnings apply to the area between Charleston/Desert Inn & Eastern/McLeod??
Anything east of the Strip is questionable. I forget what that area off Chas. & Di is called but it is a little over 40 years old and getting to be kind of nasty. It's in Winchester Township, and it once was one of the best parts of town. In fact there are town homes on the SE corner of DI and Eastern that you would enter off of Emerson, that I think are still nice after 40 years. Over around Viking Rd. between Eastern and McLeod you will find some great homes. Just remember that on that side of town you are surrounded with not so nice areas that you would end up hating to pass through all the time. My advise is to forget that side of town and look in Summerlin, Desert Shores, Peccole Ranch, The Lakes, the Northwest, etc. That said, my favorite part of town is Viking to Warm Springs - Eastern to Pecos. Too bad it went to crap.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:25 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
When I moved here 14 years ago, there was only one area I considered: East Central, particularly the "Townhouse district" east of Eastern, and south from Sahara.

Best decision I ever made, as I love convenience.

Working the night shift, living near DI/Pecos, on my three nights off I take my nightly walks or bike rides anywhere between midnite and 4am. I've never questioned my safety in 14 years here. Well-established neighborhoods here, and if you're in any of the townhouse complexes here, you can walk to grocery stores, restaurants, bars and bus lines.

In my complex there's still a sea of green grass everywhere, my animal loves it.

6 grocery stores, 10 bars (4 which you can walk to) within 5-6 blocks of my house.

Offer me a free house in Anthem, Aliante or Summerlin, I'll reject the offer!

Old 05-16-2010, 01:05 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Offer me a free house in Anthem, Aliante or Summerlin, I'll reject the offer!
I call BS on this comment.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
My new older neighbors from Indiana recently settled here into a 40YO townhouse, blowing off all the sales pitches for the outlying Del Webb communities and they're convenience freaks, like myself.

I lived too long in a highly urban environment, without a car, and this was the best choice I could find here. I absolutely despise the whole idea of owning and driving a car, and I don't want to be trapped somewhere, some day when some DR. closes my curtain: Your driving days are over!

The prophesy of the suburbs being our future slums, becomes more of a reality everyday. Drive around some of our outlying areas here, and see it for yourself.

Las Vegas, being an immature city at this point, will eventually follow the rest of the country, revitalization of the inner city, or perhaps heed a lesson from Phoenix.

Go north out of downtown Phoenix. Revitalized, historic districts stretching from downtown all the way up and past Camelback where I used to live. One of the safer areas to walk, day or night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas