Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 AM

383 posts, read 902,692 times

Advertisements

Well I booked a room at the Sahara for my first 12 nights. I am arriving on the 6th and will return to Costa Rica on the 28th for my wife and son. I got a great deal through Orbitz and it is cheaper than staying at an extended stay. Had my wife and some came I would have opted for that but I really don't feel like cooking for just myself. By the 18th I should have started working and with some luck gotten my drivers license which means I can buy a car and then move out to Green Valley where I have looked at some places. I will have a rental car for the first week then I am on foot and public transportation. Any good deals for food around the Sahara?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 AM

14 posts, read 24,727 times
Naked City Sandwich shop & Tiffany's 24 hr. Diner (great burgers) are close by. Not super cheap per se but super good is Lotus of Siam on Sahara. All the above are in the 1 mile range. Unfortunately the Sahara is not located in a great dining area. I wouldn't think the food there would be very good either but you never. I look forward to your report from there as I've never stayed there before.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,874,401 times
LVA (Las Vegas Advisor) sez Sahara has $1 beers, shots, and hot dogs. To really immerse yourself in the Las Vegas lifestyle, I suggest eating nothing but $1 hot dogs and drinking nothing but $1 beer and shots for your first twelve days.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,249,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manos37 View Post
Naked City Sandwich shop & Tiffany's 24 hr. Diner (great burgers) are close by. Not super cheap per se but super good is Lotus of Siam on Sahara. All the above are in the 1 mile range. Unfortunately the Sahara is not located in a great dining area. I wouldn't think the food there would be very good either but you never. I look forward to your report from there as I've never stayed there before.
You know what you're talking about! Naked Royale at NCSS is my favorite sammich in town. Everything is made on premises, including the sides...the tri tip for the sandwiches and even the pickles. Lotus of Siam is very, very good Thai food. Top chefs in Vegas dine here frequently.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 AM

100 posts, read 180,794 times
Default Re:

Within the hotel itself, there's the Nascar cafe and caravan cafe (which is passable at best). There's also a grind cafe facing the check-in but pricey. Opposite on the north side, there's a macdonalds and subway.

Its a short walk to circus circus or stratosphere for their buffets and the rest of the strip is accessible by the monorail next to the hotel.

The stratosphere has 107th floor dining which I would recommend only after (not b4) the rides. There's hotdogs, starbucks, mac and more dining at the stratosphere (2nd level).

With a car, there's nice places to shop/visit around south maryland parkway (boulevard mall/south crossing) or visit the fashion show mall (can park at treasure island/mirage and take a walk).

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 AM

383 posts, read 902,692 times
I tried the 1$ hot dogs last month and I am sure to have a few more. The sandwich place sounds good for me and I love Thai food. I will post on my findings next week. I stayed at the Orleans last month which was near In and Out which I will eat at a few times as well.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,051,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim10 View Post
Within the hotel itself, there's the Nascar cafe and caravan cafe (which is passable at best).
The Nascar Cafe has a six pound burrito that was the eating challenge on the Las Vegas episode of Man vs. Food. The episode also highlighted two other local restaurants, Hash House a Go Go and Hot & Juicy. Hash House is on Sahara Avenue just east of Rainbow Blvd., and is quite good. Here are a couple of links to the episode itself:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpE5Ev_A_KE

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-csNi02-B44

Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
There is also a Capriottis between LVB and 15 on Sahara. Walk to it. I could eat that three times a week.

Pamplemousse is also walkable..two or three blocks to the east on Sahara. Very good food though not cheap...not terribly expensive either. Good for a night out when you have no wheels.

Note you can also jump on the bus and shoot down to Fremont. Lots of good stuff there.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,347,902 times
Surprised that no one mentioned the Golden Steer which is in the same complex as Capriotti's.

IMO, the best food in that immediate area is The Steakhouse at Circus Circus. They have the best prime rib in town. Excellent food, a bit pricey but well worth it.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,900,085 times
I like the House of Lords inside the Sahara. It is an "old vegas" style restaurant, a bit pricey, but with absolutely outstanding service. It is easy to imagine how gangsters of prior generations sat in the darkened booths and were catered to as if they were royalty.

Piero's is not too far away (another old vegas style restaurant)... across from the convention center.

When it is time to go get your drivers license, do not be surprised if the wait is several hours. If it were me, I would get there at 7:30 AM for an 8:00 AM opening of the DMV. You will not be at the front of the line (others will get there quite a bit earlier) but it will help get you in and out in a reasonable amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas