Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 43,149 times

Advertisements

Hi. I just moved here last summer and I need a lot of information on high schools: private, public, magnet... I am looking for a school with high averages on the SAT and a good history of where the students went for college. I will need all the information I can get so that I can send the applications (which are due at the end of THIS MONTH)
thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Not quite sure what you are looking for but you can find information on the high schools on donohueteam.com. Click on the schools button and follow through - has links to the individual high schools.

The two big missing schools for high achievers would be Meadows, which is private and Bishop Gorman which is Catholic.

Of the Public Schools Advanced Tech is clearly the leader. And Ad Tech is probably superior to Meadows or Gorman.

It is a magnet school by examination.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
A-Tech is the best high school if you can get in, followed by Las Vegas Academy, IMO, but you also have to be accepted and they are public which would be free. All other high schools are pretty much the same. They all have the same problems. If there's a particular high school you would be zoned for if private or magnet doesn't work out, let me know, I am a high school student in Las Vegas and can give information about certain schools from a student's point of view.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 43,149 times
i just sent an application for A-tech. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Yeah, Las Vegas Academy is supposed to be so great yet when two students stole my purse (I was subbing there) and I caught them red handed with it the dean of students said "I can't possibly call their parents and tell them this, it would break their hearts." Wow...great school!

There are no great schools in Vegas. Read the other thread I just started on schools in Nevada. Some people like to say that Green Valley High is good, I beg to differ. If you had to go to one I would recommend A-Tech as well.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
Just one thing about A-Tech: No sports and very few clubs. Green Valley is not a great school, socially. There are some teachers at my school that hated working at GVHS because the students were rude and always fighting with one another. They are always having problems with clothing issues and car issues there.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 57,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Just one thing about A-Tech: No sports and very few clubs. Green Valley is not a great school, socially. There are some teachers at my school that hated working at GVHS because the students were rude and always fighting with one another. They are always having problems with clothing issues and car issues there.
actually green valley high school is one of the nicer high schools in the vegas area.

the schools in henderson and summerlin are alot safer and nicer than schools in other parts of vegas. but hey a public school is a public school.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 20,973 times
I would agree from personal experience that Advanced Technologies Academy (A-TECH) is the top high school here in Las Vegas. After much research our daughter chose A-TECH, tested and was admitted. She was able to take the standard six subjects at Honors and AP level plus an additional two subject major: Computer Science. Eight subjects in all. Through A-TECH's program she was able to graduate with an Honors Degree which included an additional eight credits in Computer Science. She was accepted at all of the colleges she applied to including Wellesley, Stanford and MIT. She chose MIT and is currently a Freshman there.

Last edited by paspers; 08-25-2007 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-26-2007, 08:32 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
There are no great schools in Vegas. Read the other thread I just started on schools in Nevada. Some people like to say that Green Valley High is good, I beg to differ. If you had to go to one I would recommend A-Tech as well.
I'm sorry about your purse, RWF, but I disagree with you that there are no great schools in Vegas. A-Tech is a superior school, possibly the best in the state or at least a reasonable contender.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:40 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Allow me to add that at any magnet school, a person can continue to play sports for their zoned school, so for example, if you were zoned for Valley and were accepted to A-Tech, you could still play volleyball for the Valley team. That way, you don't have to lose out on sports.

As far as very few clubs, here is a link (http://www.atech.org/activities.asp - broken link) to A-Tech's page on clubs and a list below.

Advisors Club
Ambassadors
Amnesty International
Art Club
A-TECH Club Council
A-TECH Dance Team
Board Game Club
Bowling Club Thursday
Business & Finance Explorers
Chess Club
Creative Writing Club
DECA
Classes of 2007 -2010
Forensics
F.U.E.L. Ministries Bible Club
Game Dev.
Gay-Straight Alliance
Heartland Partners
Jazz Club
Journalism Elective
Junior Statesmen of America
Key Club
Mock Trial
Model United Nations
National Honor Society
Recycling Club
Respect
Science Bowl
Skills USA
Student Council
Tech Club
Varsity Quiz
Yearbook Elective Class
Yoga
Young Democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: