Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 03:55 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times

Advertisements

Kids at private schools are just as bad at kids at public schools. Drugs and alcohol are at the party of private school kids too. Sometimes even more because they have more money. No matter what school your daughter goes to it will be what she makes of it for the most part. If I was only to look at school stats I would not find any that made me happy and we would home school our son. Our son attends middle school in Las Vegas and when I drive by as kids are getting out I wonder how he can survive some look like gangsters others like they should be in high school, but he is doing just fine. Your daughter will be fine growing up here in Vegas don't worry, just stay involved in her life.

MomMom's post is spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:57 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwt8070 View Post
Which neighbourhoods (summerlin, henderson, nw, etc.) are these high schools located in?

* Advanced Technologies Academy
* Las Vegas Academy
* Coronado
* Shadow Ridge
* Palo Verde
I really don't know why people put Shadow Ridge on this list. The principal is horrible and hires terrible teachers and seems to get rid of the good ones. I worked with that school and absolutely hated dealing with staff who seemed to hate kids and raced the students to get off campus at the end of the day. ATA is wonderful and so is Palo Verde.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi28 View Post
I still don't find the right High School...I would like my daughter to attend Bishop Gorman or Faith or other of the private schools but I don't see how can I would be available to afford that huge tuition. I look other Schools finding Shadow Ridge High School and I thought that would be the ending in my search. I found out that a teenager was arrested at Shadow Ridge a couple of months ago and that administrators have difficulties to control teens there. Finding that as much as I like the school because the efforts on the academic, how I'm going to be calm when I know the school has various incidents of violence. Not mentioning that they have cut teenagers smoking "marijuana" as early as the class start. Need more info but where can I get it without judmental comments about kids who want to study, they study here or in Rome. Not fear! I'm just in limbo not knowing what to do....
Every school can have a student arrested, it is not just limited to one school...Just like what MomMom said this will happen everywhere...and if you move to a small village, it may even be worse since the students will have nothing to do and out of boredom will look to sex and drugs...

Old 04-24-2009, 05:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Kids at private schools are just as bad at kids at public schools. Drugs and alcohol are at the party of private school kids too. Sometimes even more because they have more money. No matter what school your daughter goes to it will be what she makes of it for the most part. If I was only to look at school stats I would not find any that made me happy and we would home school our son. Our son attends middle school in Las Vegas and when I drive by as kids are getting out I wonder how he can survive some look like gangsters others like they should be in high school, but he is doing just fine. Your daughter will be fine growing up here in Vegas don't worry, just stay involved in her life.

MomMom's post is spot on.
This is true to an extent.

I went to both public and private schools in Vegas as a teen. Yes, private schools have drugs and alcohol too. But the difference is that, in private schools, even the "bad kids" have to perform to to high enough standards academically, or they get kicked out (private schools often have a minimum GPA requirement in order to stay enrolled). So the drugs and alcohol may be present at these schools, but not to the extent that grades suffer. Public schools, on the other hand, don't have nearly the same requirements, so many kids on drugs end up failing academically.

Drugs are a problem in both environments. It's just that private schools force students to maintain high academic performance, whereas public schools often don't.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
In the upper levels of the public school system there is considerable pressure on students to perform. Peer, parent, school it motivates most kids. Some will not conform and will drift off and out. It happens. But in the better schools it is a relatively low percantage.

I would also note that Shadow Ridge appears to be the top school in the NW over PV, Arborview, Centennial and the others. Just behind GV in achievement. There really is not a lot of difference as all the schools are clustered close together...but SR does lead the group..

Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,361 times
actually the las vegas academy is the best school in las vegas! im currently a senior at the academy and its been the best 4 yeaRS OF MY LIFE It has 8 grammys! the best choirs, orchestras, and theater productions! lva is the best! hands down

Old 11-02-2009, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonn View Post
Hi. I just moved here last summer and I need a lot of information on high schools: private, public, magnet... I am looking for a school with high averages on the SAT and a good history of where the students went for college. I will need all the information I can get so that I can send the applications (which are due at the end of THIS MONTH)
thank you!
las vegas academy

Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,821 times
I keep reading about the violence in the schools. My daughter is going to be going to school in Vegas, and that really worries me. There are fights daily, I've read, in all schools. Why is there not more supervision? This should not be allowed. There are laws in place for this problem. I think the parents need to go to PTA and discuss this with the school officials and employees. There are other schools in the country that are large and dont have the violence, it is just a matter of inforcing the law. I agree that this will happen occasionally anywhere, but it should not be the norm. Why do Vegas parents allow this?

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
you should be more careful with what you read......

Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
There is no particular indication that LV High Schools are any different than anywhere else. There are good and not so good schools as elsewhere. But no indication that violence is out of control or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: