Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times

Advertisements

I think it was a technology program, it probably failed, because unlike most of the other magnet programs, it isn't centrally located...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,822 times
Im going to have to say The Meadows and Bishop Gorman would be the best schools to attend as far as private schools go. But as public schools in las vegas go, a magnet public school would be better than just a regular public school.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:55 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
This stuff is always interesting. Everyone knows this or that but actually there is very little data.

I don't know of any good comparison that would tell you how "good" any school is...once you involve the private schools that don't have or don't publish any numbers.

On an academic level however there is a "yardstick" available. It is a first order one but still real. High Schools like Palo Alto in CA blow away any and even all schools in NV. But Palo Alto draws on an infrastructure not available in many places.

That "yardstick" is National Merit Semi-finalists. This is a relatively pure measurement based exclusively on test performance. National Merit winners are best on a much more complex set of criteria.

So how do the local schools fair?

Well number one is Meadows with 12. On an absolute and relative basis they are the champs. And that is what you would expect from an expensive private high school with very selective admissions.

Next comes Green Valley with 5. They probably lose on a per capita basis to AdTech but still a fine performance.

At four semi-finalist you have AdTech, Clark and Valley. Yup...that is Clark and Valley up there with AdTech.

At three semi-finalists we have Bishop Gorman.

At two we have Coronado, Faith Lutheran, LV Academy, Palo Verdo, Shadow Ridge, Silverado

At one we have Foothill, Del Sol, Sierra Vista, VoTech and Spring Valley

So Gorman is better than Green Valley and AdTech and Clark and Valley?

and Faith Lutheran?

Both Gorman and Faith Lutheran may do a tremendous job of instilling the desired moral values in their students. But academically bythis metric they don't do as well as easily available public equivalents.

So Meadows if you can afford it and the kid can cut it. Otherwise the conventional public schools may well offer a better educaton.

I particularly like the placement of Clark which is apparently a regular feature. The school may have its problems but it also has some real smart kids.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
I don't see Clark on the map I have. Is that a high school? Private?

Old 04-05-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I don't see Clark on the map I have. Is that a high school? Private?
See...

http://ccsd.net/schools/acc_pdfs_2007/551.pdf (broken link)

Clark serves a central city area. That area includes both best and worst of Las Vegas. You don't send a kid to Clark unless the kid is into a program for heavy students offered there. As a general high school it is way down the list.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:24 AM

560 posts, read 2,188,717 times
I don't agree, (sorry) that Merit semi finalists are a good "yardstick" to measure over all high school performance. That might be a good "academic" measure but most of us know that high school is about so much more than just straight academics. Even colleges are getting that now. When you submit your college apps they want transcripts and SAT scores, sure, but they also want to know about extra curricular activities as well. More and more it is important to become a "well rounded" student. This means that while you might not be a national merit finalist, you did play 3 sports and were involved in several clubs and showed leadership abilities and maintained a 3.5 GPA.

So, what is the best high school in Las Vegas? For us it's Gorman, but for someone else with a different set of criteria it could be any of a number of other ones. I think when we get into saying this school is better than that one we have to inform others of what we are basing our decision on so that they can discern if that set of criteria is relevant to them. As a parent, honestly, I don't have a future Merit Scholar in the bunch, (maybe my 5 year old) so that really wouldn't enter into my criteria for judging the worth of a school. I am looking for good sports programs, a wide choice of clubs, a good moral climate with the religion component, solid academics, and as safe an enviornment as possible in today's climate. For me, that is Gorman or Faith. I am Catholic, so it is Gorman. Even if I could afford Meadows, I would not do that to my children. That curriculum is ridiculous, they are creating "step-ford" students who are all bound for nervous breakdowns.

I feel that when you ask what is the "best" high school here you need to include what your criteria is. Just like the Country song out right now about different types of "gone" there are so many different types of "best". (now you all know I listen to country music)

Old 04-05-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
I don't agree, (sorry) that Merit semi finalists are a good "yardstick" to measure over all high school performance. That might be a good "academic" measure but most of us know that high school is about so much more than just straight academics. Even colleges are getting that now. When you submit your college apps they want transcripts and SAT scores, sure, but they also want to know about extra curricular activities as well. More and more it is important to become a "well rounded" student. This means that while you might not be a national merit finalist, you did play 3 sports and were involved in several clubs and showed leadership abilities and maintained a 3.5 GPA.

So, what is the best high school in Las Vegas? For us it's Gorman, but for someone else with a different set of criteria it could be any of a number of other ones. I think when we get into saying this school is better than that one we have to inform others of what we are basing our decision on so that they can discern if that set of criteria is relevant to them. As a parent, honestly, I don't have a future Merit Scholar in the bunch, (maybe my 5 year old) so that really wouldn't enter into my criteria for judging the worth of a school. I am looking for good sports programs, a wide choice of clubs, a good moral climate with the religion component, solid academics, and as safe an enviornment as possible in today's climate. For me, that is Gorman or Faith. I am Catholic, so it is Gorman. Even if I could afford Meadows, I would not do that to my children. That curriculum is ridiculous, they are creating "step-ford" students who are all bound for nervous breakdowns.

I feel that when you ask what is the "best" high school here you need to include what your criteria is. Just like the Country song out right now about different types of "gone" there are so many different types of "best". (now you all know I listen to country music)
I believe I said it was an academic bench mark. I would be very leery of schools that don't have any - particularly if I had a smart kid.

I believe what it demonstrates is that all of the better high schools in town are roughly the same academically with the exception of Meadows which is significantly better. You may chose to send your children to a private school to get them morally and socially shaped but you won't get them educated any better.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post

Yes! I totally agree and it is extremely helpful to read why someone does not like a particular school or to read what they are looking for in a school. I would love to be able to afford Gorman (we are also Catholic)but I don't think I can, at least right now. (Depends on what happens with my home here). So, beyond that I am looking for a school that my daughter will do well academically, and be able to fit in socially. She is not into sports. She is rather shy, but will open up around those she gets to know. For clubs, I would love to see her get more involved in some. She is an A/B student and has played the violin for years(i think she may be tiring of it). I do not know if she would be a fit for the magnet schools. Not sure if the curriculum would be too stressful for her. I would rather she stay near the top of her game and while I want her to be challenged, I do not want it to be so over her head that it is a stress-filled struggle either. I do not think she will be a Merit Scholar either (tho' I am not telling her that).

Oh, and btw, I was just listening to that song the other day cracking up at it! I am a station switcher. My daughter and hub love country. I like all but rap!!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 AM

697 posts, read 3,280,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonn View Post
Hi. I just moved here last summer and I need a lot of information on high schools: private, public, magnet... I am looking for a school with high averages on the SAT and a good history of where the students went for college. I will need all the information I can get so that I can send the applications (which are due at the end of THIS MONTH)
thank you!
The best high school would be one out of this state.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
The best high school would be one out of this state.

Oh, crapola. I will be really in trouble then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: