Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:10 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,596,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
It's sad that you need to boost your ego in such a pathetic fashion.
Especially since it doesn't make sense as my son was only in 7th grade, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times
One thing about A-tech: its not that great anymore. Everyone there cheats and the work is hard so thats the only way to pass. You arent allowed to play sports at your home school if you go to A-tech either anymore because its a magnet school and not a technical academy. It still has some of the best test scores though because it is all based on cheating and its completely magnet so there arent any neighboorhood kids. The best school in Las Vegas is actually Clark high school as far as it goes academically learning but because neighborhood students go there as well, the test scores are lower than they should be. So while A-tech was a good school before, Clark is the best now.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,824 times
@dynimagelv

If you ignore it (or you are more careful and dont read about it or acknowledge it?) then it doesnt exist, right?! Great answer, great advice.

I do want to add that I have moved here now and my daughter has been in school for about a month. I do like the school she is in and I have not found any violence. Her school is a good school I believe, comparitively speaking. I cant speak for all schools, but what we have found so far is good.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,162,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikihills View Post
One thing about A-tech: its not that great anymore. Everyone there cheats and the work is hard so thats the only way to pass. You arent allowed to play sports at your home school if you go to A-tech either anymore because its a magnet school and not a technical academy. It still has some of the best test scores though because it is all based on cheating and its completely magnet so there arent any neighboorhood kids. The best school in Las Vegas is actually Clark high school as far as it goes academically learning but because neighborhood students go there as well, the test scores are lower than they should be. So while A-tech was a good school before, Clark is the best now.
On what basis do you make this conclusion? Looking at the accountability report (http://ccsd.net/schools/acc_pdfs_2010/551.pdf (broken link)), here is what I see:

Only 5% of the students exceed expectations on writing proficiency, so in essence, only 5% of Clark's students have better-than-average ability to write.

20% of Clark's math teachers aren't highly qualified to teach that subject.

32% of Clark's students get put into remedial classes when they hit college.

I could go on, but I think it's pretty clear. Seriously, on what are you basing your claim? Cheating occurs at A-Tech -- as it does at every single school I've ever seen, attended, or even heard of -- but it's rather difficult to cheat, for example, on the proficiency exam writing. In it, as you know, you're given a prompt and you have to write an impromptu essay. What are you going to do to cheat? Write it on your hand in teeny letters? Naah, I'm not convinced unless you have better data (or any?) to back up your opinion.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
What about Northwest Career and Technical Academy, also a magnet school offering a variety of program areas. It is the safest, cleanest, and nicest school I have ever seen. The students are held to a very high standard and excell and enjoy learning in an environment that focuses on meaningful, hands on experiences for it's students. The administration and staff don't suffer from the political traps that make so many schools disfunctional and because of that, they are able to focus on what really matters in a school~student achievement through relevant and interesting studies. It is so awesome to see education that works, kids who are polite, parents who CARE, and a staff who loves to come to work. Yes, it exists at NWCTA. Consider it.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalentiner View Post
What about Northwest Career and Technical Academy, also a magnet school offering a variety of program areas. It is the safest, cleanest, and nicest school I have ever seen. The students are held to a very high standard and excell and enjoy learning in an environment that focuses on meaningful, hands on experiences for it's students. The administration and staff don't suffer from the political traps that make so many schools disfunctional and because of that, they are able to focus on what really matters in a school~student achievement through relevant and interesting studies. It is so awesome to see education that works, kids who are polite, parents who CARE, and a staff who loves to come to work. Yes, it exists at NWCTA. Consider it.
and how long have you worked for them?????

Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 959 times
does anyone have any good sites that compare the high schools to other high schools? I am looking for what college recruiters look for and what schools they find to be a higher standard than others. thanks!

Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM

154 posts, read 357,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
I can understand why someone might have the impression that Las Vegas schools are dangerous. While the frequency and severity of incidents may be similar to other large cities, it can be quite shocking to someone from an area where such incidents are rare. As I mentioned in another thread, I subscribe to email news updates from KLAS-TV, and schools on lockdown due to nearby gunshots, or reports of a child bringing a gun to school seem to occur almost weekly (an exaggeration, but I'd say at least once per month). Also, it is shocking that a drive-by shooting could occur at a Summerlin high school, but that happened last year (oops, forgot it's 2010, two years ago).

Teen gets life sentence in shooting of high school freshman - Monday, Oct. 26, 2009 | 11:34 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

My perception of LV high schools is that they are dangerous, but that perception is skewed by the fact that I spend most of my time in a city that has one of the lowest crime rates of all large cities in the nation (San Jose, CA). Also, most of the gangs are finding life easier in the central valley, so what little gang activity there is is mostly confined to the east side, far away from where I live and work.
..and I spend most of my time in that central valley, and teach there, and can say that the bad press Las Vegas makes it seem so much worse than it truly is. Come to the Central Valley of California, the prison state, where many of my students have family members incarcerated and experience for yourselves,the attitudes that occur in the public schools with those demographics. My husband is a "retired" middle school math teacher and high school football coach, and he refuses to sub in Corcoran. Other towns aren't so bad. Las Vegas is refreshing in contrast. We look forward to the day when I can retire and we can move into our home there.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyygirl View Post
..and I spend most of my time in that central valley, and teach there, and can say that the bad press Las Vegas makes it seem so much worse than it truly is. Come to the Central Valley of California, the prison state, where many of my students have family members incarcerated and experience for yourselves,the attitudes that occur in the public schools with those demographics. My husband is a "retired" middle school math teacher and high school football coach, and he refuses to sub in Corcoran. Other towns aren't so bad. Las Vegas is refreshing in contrast. We look forward to the day when I can retire and we can move into our home there.
Very much so. My high school in back in Savannah, GA was 5 times more dangerous than any school in Vegas. A bully in Vegas uses Facebook and Twitter to hurt feelings along with self esteem. The bullies from my old school actually used a weapon of some sort or about 7 other guys to f*ck you up. And they wanted your lunch money, shoes and jacket......for the rest of the school year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: