Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:14 AM

42 posts, read 93,967 times

Advertisements

What is the Best High School/Community to move to from a small town, on an average income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,315,111 times
Here is Newsweek's ranked list.

This forum is going to tell you the answer is "Not Nevada".

Last edited by Danknee; 06-09-2011 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Misread results.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
Here is Newsweek's ranked list.

Never mind, that list sucks. It ranks districts, not individual schools. This forum is going to tell you the answer is "Not Nevada".
Great link Danknee, thanks for posting it..very helpful when posters are asking the same question.

According to the verbage, this survey from Newsweek was "based on how hard school staffs work to challenge students with advanced-placement college-level courses and tests. Just over 1.600 schools—only 6 percent of all the public schools in the U.S.—made the list"

Only two high schools in Las Vegas made the list

Rank # 266 Clark Las Vegas NV 2.931 58 13.9
Rank # 1481 Las Vegas Academy of International Studies/Performing Arts Las Vegas NV 1.206 32.5

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek

Green Valley High made the list for Henderson

Rank #859 Green Valley **
Henderson NV 1.792 17 28

http://www.newsweek.com/feature/2010...ools/list.html

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
It makes me wonder [again] it it isnt the PARENTS that make things like this happen....Clark is #276....Clark is in a predominately ASIAN part of town....ASIANS seem to value education much higher then other ethnicities....

Leads me to believe that people should QUIT WHINING and MAKE the little darlings study......

Old 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,477,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
It makes me wonder [again] it it isnt the PARENTS that make things like this happen....Clark is #276....Clark is in a predominately ASIAN part of town....ASIANS seem to value education much higher then other ethnicities....

Leads me to believe that people should QUIT WHINING and MAKE the little darlings study......
Oh my dear, how you said it all

Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,315,111 times
Quote:
Too much work and accountability. Give Nevadans someone to vote into office that will raise their kids for them instead, that may be a more realistic level of commitment (casting a single vote and expecting change I mean).

Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,865,564 times
Quote:
I got beaten by my Asian father when I took a blood test and only got a B+!

YouTube - ‪Asian Dad: B+ Again!? (you die)‬‏

Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Green Valley is in a pack of about 12 schools that are roughly of equal quality.

The best schools are magnets such as Advanced Tech and LV Academy and the two year high schools tied to the Community Colleges. Clark has a techie magnet program that causes part of it to do very well. The rest of Clark though is also ran.

The regular high schools that are OK include Coronado, Green Valley, Foothill, Silverado, Palo Verde, Centennial, Shadow Ridge, Arbor View, Bonanza and the Technology Academies.

For one of normal income the best arrangement is probably in the NW...Centennial, Shadow Ridge and Arbor View. Home prices are moderate and the schools reasonably strong. If money is no object the heights of Henderson and Coronado or Summerlin and Palo Verde. Note that PV continues to suffer from over crowding.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:54 PM

136 posts, read 276,962 times
There was a recent list from the Washington Post and nine CCSD schools made their Top Performer's list. 9 Clark County high schools make list of top performers - Saturday, May 28, 2011 | 1:55 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Clark
Advanced Tech
Green Valley
Spring Valley
Coronado
Northwest CTA
Valley
Desert Oasis

Apparently, the list is comprised of those with above-average SAT and ACT scores.

I was surprised that I didn't see Palo Verde on the list.

Last edited by mntonv; 06-09-2011 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: for formatting

Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntonv View Post
There was a recent list from the Washington Post and nine CCSD schools made their Top Performer's list. 9 Clark County high schools make list of top performers - Saturday, May 28, 2011 | 1:55 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Clark
Advanced Tech
Green Valley
Spring Valley
Coronado
Northwest CTA
Valley
Desert Oasis

Apparently, the list is comprised of those with above-average SAT and ACT scores.

I was surprised that I didn't see Palo Verde on the list.
YOu always have to look at the process.

There is, for instance, no way that Clark is that high on a list that rates the performance of the school. It is not a top tier school. It does however have an excellent magnet program which is a small percentage of the school. Clark, for instance, often has as many or more National Merit finalists as the best of the other high schools. It also has some really dreary numbers if you dig down intoo the percentage performing inadequately.

So what you are getting into is the way in which these various lists shape the outcome .

Palo Verde in my mind is an adequate but just school...partially due to overcrowding. But none of the schools are exceptional except the magnets.

CCSD opts for uniform schools. And therefore has no great ones. If you really look at the list of really good high schools you find the schools with wide draws and selective admissions...The Bronx High School of Science as an example.

Basically we don't have that in Las Vegas. Only the magnets which are only part schools...no athletics...no true student body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas