Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 11:42 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,350,375 times

Advertisements

There are four conference tournaments here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 04:02 AM

529 posts, read 512,977 times
^^ CFB is an NCAA-sanctioned and sponsored event. The lower bowl games, including the Las Vegas Bowl, are not. There's certainly the possibility of a new or better bowl game or conference championship game(s), but Las Vegas will not host anything that the NCAA backs in the foreseeable future. The rules forbid it and there is no evidence that will change any time soon.

The NCAA is fighting fantasy sports with a vengeance. It's laughable that they will suddenly embrace point spreads. There will be no CFB or March Madness tournaments here.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,886,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Well, it is what it is. I would have much preferred some kind of project that would have brought decent jobs here ...
I don't think it is a case of "either-one-or-the-other." Moreover, I think our government leaders continuously look for ways to bring economic development & decent jobs here all the time... with less success than we hope.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,886,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
'Vegas Raiders' really does sound badass tho. I bet you can already get hoodies and t-shirts and such.
I've never understood why I should pay to advertise a sports team -- shouldn't THEY pay ME to advertise their team on an article of clothing???

Old 03-29-2017, 09:48 AM

455 posts, read 653,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
^^ CFB is an NCAA-sanctioned and sponsored event.
Nope, look it up. It's run by the 10 FBS conferences + Notre Dame.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:49 AM

901 posts, read 1,900,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Super Bowl at least a decade out. They plan Super Bowls out 5 years in advance.
We'll get one much sooner than that. The NFL tends to award Super Bowls to cities with new stadiums. 2022 or 2023 is a very real possibility, just look at the most recent selections.

NFL owners award Super Bowls to Atlanta, South Florida, Los Angeles

Old 03-29-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Nope, look it up. It's run by the 10 FBS conferences + Notre Dame.
Yup, just adding some clarification here....

The NCAA has never crowned a Div 1-A/FBS national champion. They do so for Div 1-AA/FCS and lower division football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...Division_I_FBS

Quote:
Division I FBS football is the only National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) sport for which the NCAA does not sanction a yearly championship event.
More..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...l_Championship

Quote:
The FCS is the highest division in college football to hold a playoff tournament sanctioned by the NCAA to determine its champion.
EDIT: We'll never get a CFP semifinal game as those are reserved for the traditional New Year's Day bowls, but a championship game is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Last edited by Trash Can; 03-29-2017 at 10:15 AM..

Old 03-29-2017, 10:58 AM

452 posts, read 337,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Yup, just adding some clarification here....

The NCAA has never crowned a Div 1-A/FBS national champion. They do so for Div 1-AA/FCS and lower division football.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colleg...Division_I_FBS

More..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...l_Championship

EDIT: We'll never get a CFP semifinal game as those are reserved for the traditional New Year's Day bowls, but a championship game is not out of the realm of possibilities.
the 2 playoff games I belive are in rotation (I could be wrong) but I could see them adding Vegas into the rotation.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,602,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I HAVE NOT! PROBABLY A LOT LIKE THE DOG POUND IN CLEVELAND, WHICH I ALSO HAVE NOT SEEN FIRST HAND!

I like sports but I'm no fanatic. I think grown men acting that way is kinda lame.

Pay huge amounts of money to watch other grown men live out there dreams? No thanks.

I like SPORTS ( but ) isn't a fanatic ( also )........( but the ) OAKLAND RAIDERS FANS ARE HARD CORE FANATICS!!!!!!

I think that when you take a good hard look at all of the 32 teams in the NFL....the STEELERS and the RAIDERS and the GREEN BAY PACKERS are the top THREE (3) BEST( FANS/FANATICS ) and I would give the edge to the OAKLAND RAIDERS because they will stand behind a really BAD/LOUSY PRODUCT/TEAM.

THE PROBLEM WITH OAKLAND IS THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE ENOUGH ( CORP BACKING ).....THE FANS ARE SOLID MIDDLE CLASS .....RIDE OR DIE FANS HOWEVER!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
the 2 playoff games I belive are in rotation (I could be wrong) but I could see them adding Vegas into the rotation.
I should've said "highly unlikely" instead of "never". You're right though, the semifinal games are currently rotated annually between the Cotton, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Peach, and Orange Bowls. I can't ever see them adding the Las Vegas Bowl to the mix or creating a new bowl just to have a semifinal here. College football is largely built on tradition and the current CFP structure keeps much of that in place.

A championship game is an entirely different matter though.

FAQS | College Football Playoff

Quote:
How is the site of the College Football Playoff National Championship determined?

The site of the College Football Playoff National Championship is determined through a bid system, much like the Super Bowl or the NCAA Final Four location. Any city that demonstrates necessary facilities, transportation and other factors can submit a bid to host the College Football Playoff National Championship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas