Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,362,042 times

Advertisements

They always ask about the good area's. Why not live in a bad area? Cheaper to live there. You probably will never get your home broken into, especially if it looks like hell on the outside. You just might get mugged to and from your home, but think of the savings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,474,817 times
Sure. There might be a few shootings and car jackings at night. Just stay in. And don't have a car. Sure, your neighbors are all dopers...no problem. Just have nothing worth stealing. As for the dog fighting in the nieghbors yard, just ignore it. They are just pit bulls. And don't listen to that yelling, you don't understand the language anyway. And there is nothing wrong with a grown man peeing on himself, while singing "Rubber Ducky"...he is either drunk or crazy. Or both. Just cross over to the other side of the street.

Yep. A bad neighborhhod in Vegas is more entertainment than tv!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:17 PM

15,903 posts, read 14,598,794 times
^
No. You will be entertainment on TV.

(Written as I'm watching a show on the Clark County Jail.)

Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Yeah. All your neighbors have bail bondsmen on speed dial in their cell phones. And know exactly the cost of any transaction at Paycheck City. Even if they are high school dropouts. They can tell you how to sign up for EBT, where to get hooked up with a free cell phone, and every day labor place in town, and how to get there on the bus.

Really, a bad neighborhood is not a bad place to start in Vegas.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,202,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
They always ask about the good area's. Why not live in a bad area? Cheaper to live there. You probably will never get your home broken into, especially if it looks like hell on the outside. You just might get mugged to and from your home, but think of the savings!
I lived in a bad area when I first moved to Vegas. As a matter of fact it was highly recommended from this forum that I did not move to where I moved. Eagle Trace Apartments. I was single with half the responsibilities I have now. I tell my wife all the time that if I was still single and living in Vegas I would have a cheap spot somewhere downtown close to all the action. Maybe even on Fremont somewhere. Hell, I could pocket 95% of my income if I just stayed in one of those hostels on Fremont street. My only recurring bill would be my storage for all my stuff, care note and insurance. Life would be so simple if it was me, myself and I. Everything that Jasper12 mentioned above would be why I would not need Cox cable.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...air-force.html

But then I got married and started a family.

The second I knew I was going to get married, I knew it was time for me to find a better, stable environment for my family. Craig and Nellis was perfect for the single guy thats a little rough around the edges but not ideal for my new goals with my new family. I would still recommend(just did last month) all three major apartments that surround the base to the new single guy or couple without kids. Eagle Trace, Heritage Estates and The Terrace.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,202,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yeah. All your neighbors have bail bondsmen on speed dial in their cell phones. And know exactly the cost of any transaction at Paycheck City. Even if they are high school dropouts. They can tell you how to sign up for EBT, where to get hooked up with a free cell phone, and every day labor place in town, and how to get there on the bus.

Really, a bad neighborhood is not a bad place to start in Vegas.
You have to start somewhere in life. Unless people really have it that good and can afford to live where ever they want, you can not expect to live in brand new Summerlin, 7 Hills or Lake Las Vegas. What gets me is that people live in average or a little less than average in the city/town that they are moving from. Yet, when they move to Vegas, they want the best of the best. Or at least they stretch their pockets as far as they can when they look for housing.

New transplants settle in their hometown but want it all(large back yard, granite everything, marble flooers, non cookie cutter house, all the amenities) when they move to Vegas.

I have checked a couple of those "moving to Vegas, where is the best area to live" threads form OPs that do not live in the best areas of their own city. It is easy to check their posting history and trace back to their every day posts.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,189,103 times
In a word- schools. I've lived in some rough parts of town (especially when I was saving for a down payment on a house). By the time the kiddo was ready to go to school, we lived in a decent area.

I didn't really have many problems. My car got broken into once, and I used to get catcalls and offers for mustache rides from the classy neighbors, but that was about it.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM

When I lived in Vegas, I lived near Hollywod and Lake Mead . Not the greatest area. Not the worst. It worked for us. Mid way to airport and close to Nellis. Our neighbors were nice folks. But it was not fancy or gated. When we left we were living in Centennial area. A bit more upscale.

But, my Mom who lives in Green Valley, always acted like she was coming over to the ghetto when visiting us.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-10-2012 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,959,853 times
I have lived in bad parts of cities and have to say I had less trouble than when I lived in the more affluent places....

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM

419 posts, read 910,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
This reminds me of the old joke. The comedian is describing the neighborhood he lives in and says,

"I live in a neighborhood that's so bad...I have to budget for hold-up money!"

It was a tough neighborhood. Every time he shut the window he hurt somebody's fingers.

When he first moved in, he asked a cop, "how far is it to the bus station?" And the cop replied,
"Not sure, no one has ever made it".

cue the rim shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas