Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times

Advertisements

There are a whole cadre of people in NYC (old people now) who think NYC was at its best when it was a rapidly deteriorating war zone in the 70's. Why? because anything went, you could get anything you wanted, do whatever you wanted to do whenver and wherever you wanted, and a lot of people had a lot of fun.

Now, it's way more prosperous, way more under control, and a lot better looking, but a lot of people thing the boring factor has significantly increased.

What you,re saying kind of dovetails with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I lived in a bad area when I first moved to Vegas. As a matter of fact it was highly recommended from this forum that I did not move to where I moved. Eagle Trace Apartments. I was single with half the responsibilities I have now. I tell my wife all the time that if I was still single and living in Vegas I would have a cheap spot somewhere downtown close to all the action. Maybe even on Fremont somewhere. Hell, I could pocket 95% of my income if I just stayed in one of those hostels on Fremont street. My only recurring bill would be my storage for all my stuff, care note and insurance. Life would be so simple if it was me, myself and I. Everything that Jasper12 mentioned above would be why I would not need Cox cable.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...air-force.html

But then I got married and started a family.

The second I knew I was going to get married, I knew it was time for me to find a better, stable environment for my family. Craig and Nellis was perfect for the single guy thats a little rough around the edges but not ideal for my new goals with my new family. I would still recommend(just did last month) all three major apartments that surround the base to the new single guy or couple without kids. Eagle Trace, Heritage Estates and The Terrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,766,850 times
I would not consider Eagle Trace a bad area...
It's next to a Blueberry Hill.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,166,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
well. i'm one of these transplant that you're talking about. I grew up in a nice big house next to a lake in one of the most affluent suburbs in Houston. That last apartment I stayed at before I moved to Las Vegas is in Houston's Galleria area.
Sounds like Lake Las Vegas would be perfect for you.

Sent from phone using app

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There are a whole cadre of people in NYC (old people now) who think NYC was at its best when it was a rapidly deteriorating war zone in the 70's. Why? because anything went, you could get anything you wanted, do whatever you wanted to do whenver and wherever you wanted, and a lot of people had a lot of fun.

Now, it's way more prosperous, way more under control, and a lot better looking, but a lot of people thing the boring factor has significantly increased.

What you,re saying kind of dovetails with that.
Mayor Bloomberg is banning soft drinks and trans-fatty acids - yep NYC is really much safer.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,035,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
They always ask about the good area's. Why not live in a bad area? Cheaper to live there. You probably will never get your home broken into, especially if it looks like hell on the outside. You just might get mugged to and from your home, but think of the savings!
To many people - a "bad" area = crime. To others it = noise. I'm not interested in moving to Meadows Village(under the Startosphere) or Lake Mead and D(the other NH that seems to have a rough reputation. I will likely have to rent upon the initial move and since looking at rents - I am gravitating towards apartments north of UNLV near Flamingo Rd.

I mentioned noise earlier - I'm looking at houses underneath the McCarron flight path in Enterprise and Spring Valley and will be visiting the area in a about a month. Airplane noise doesn't bother me - and if it lowers property value - that makes it even more attractive since I am looking for a house that is under 200K. I've found a couple in Enterprise near Warm Springs/Valley View and Blue Diamond/Decatur - alos in Spring Valley along Russell(right along the flight path).

I used to live under the flight path to Sea-Tac airport in Seattle - I am used to the noise and experiencing several tons of metal passing a few hundred to a couple thousand feet above ones head - and being able to count rivets if one chooses to do so. - at all times of day.

Question - do the people who are asking for "nice" areas reject these seemingly OK neihborhoods just because of the potential noise factor?

Last edited by Harrier; 09-10-2012 at 11:59 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 01:56 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,743,320 times
Yes

Old 09-11-2012, 02:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,303,392 times
Harrier, since you don't mind the noise factor for airplanes, you could actually live where they are taking off right over your apt complex. I used to visit some friends at Flamingo/Maryland Parkway and I almost had a heart attack each time a plane took of from McCarran right over their building! Really loud and quite scary, it blocked out all the light as it went over... You could actually wave to people on the plane as they go past the window or at least flash them.

And yes, most people will not live near where planes are taking off or landing. But there is a savings there as well. Cheaper to live in those homes and apartments. My friends pay about $525 for a large 1 bedroom.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,487,785 times
Everyone on CD said MY area is bad...Charleston and Pecos, but it's cheap and I've never had even an inkling of problems here.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
i have always maintained that there is not a truly bad area in Las Vegas [ive driven thru Camden NJ] and ive lived in nearly every part of town ....there are pockets all over.... and there are scum all over .....it is what it is..... i personally wouldnt live in the Scummerline area on a bet.....put thats a personal preferance....op on the side of the hill where Scoop lives is Great [used to live on Turtle Hill ] but you drive thru some lesser arease to get there [WOW ma LOOKIE there thems WORKING people]

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,166,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
I would not consider Eagle Trace a bad area...
It's next to a Blueberry Hill.
I only ate there twice. For some reason, I didn't like it. Mostly cause of the service.

Sent from phone using app
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas